Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newb; need opinions on setup I just bought..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb; need opinions on setup I just bought..

Hey guys, my name is Sammy and I'm a new member. I have a '99 Lexus SC400 which I've been slowely modding and have recently bought a carPC system from a member on the ClubLexus forum, which he had in his sc400. My ultimate goal was to simply have Centrafuse working on a touchscreen. Eventually I'lluprgade my speakers and such, but not for a while..
    The system is pretty complete, including a custom-housed 7" Liliput touch-screen (looks totally stock which is why I purchased it), an HP7800 Dual Core small form factor PC running Windows 7 and Centrafuse 3. It also includes a harness to wire the whole thing up which the previous owner made himself.

Anyways, I've searched and reaserched a bunch here on mp3car and have a few questions and concerns..
    Seems like its going to be diffucult running a 19volt full-out computer in my car. I have to do a bit more research but it seems like I need a power inverter to make it work, but something tells me its going to be a lot more difficult than that lol. My question is, would I be better off selling the computer and purchasing an actual 12volt carPC?
    - scENFORCER

Carnetix P2140 smart power supply. look it up. Uses a USB connection to auto hibernate your PC. I have 2 of them, one in my truck and one in the boat.
    TruckPC - gutted, being used for test setup
    BoatPC - All in 1 in cuddy, N7 using VNC on dash, RR
    BlazerPC - Nexus 7 with Timur's USBROM

Comment

could you post a pic of what you have? the previous owner might have already gotten a power supply
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

^ I've just gone through a buncha PM's me and the seller had. This is what he wrote; "I am including a patch harness to run the speakers from the front and relocate them to the trunk to use an aftermarket amp. This is only good for the non amplified stock radio system. If you have a stock amplified system you will need to do additional wiring to reuse the stock amp." He also told me that I WILL need a DC Power Inverter, a 4 or 5 channel amp (depending if I wanna use my stock sub or not, which I definatly do), and some miscallaneous cables.
        I'm also expecting an email from him where he'll provide me exactly what else I will need to complete my install, along with brief instructions on how to install it.
        I'm at work right now but I'll take a picture of what I DO have when I get home..
        - scENFORCER

Comment

I'm compiling a list of what I need to complete the install, it will include a power inverter.

Anyone have an opinion on the computer I have vs an actual carPC?
          - scENFORCER

Comment

there really aren't any specfic car-pc's. there are some all-in-one double din computer units, but they all are very poor in every aspect..

around here, a carpc is what you make of it-- and that will make a fine carpc-- the core2duo is a little overkill for most carpc features, but it is what you have, so it will definitely work great...

are you sure you need to use a inverter? after looking at the pics on hp's site, it is hard to tell the exact connections on the power supply, but it looks like either a 19v carnetix option, or one of the atx-compliant power supplies should work with that board..

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by scENFORCER View Post
              Anyone have an opinion on the computer I have vs an actual carPC?
              A computer installed in a car is a carPC, regardless of the intended use of the manufacturer.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveDog View Post
                Carnetix P2140 smart power supply. look it up. Uses a USB connection to auto hibernate your PC. I have 2 of them, one in my truck and one in the boat.
                I've tried reserching the Carnetix P2140, but am still a little confused as to what exactly it is. Is it basically a simple power inverter? Obviously there's more to it than that. Does it preform the function of the M4-ATX thing? Where it shuts on/off my system via ingition..?
                - scENFORCER

Comment

A CarPC is not a mainstream item. It does not work all the time, it will require some work. I suggest before you install and before you rip your hair out, to read and then re-read all the FAQs to gain a basic understanding of what you have and what you need.
                  Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                  1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                  30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                  15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                  Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

yes, it is basically a different type of power supply-- the m4 is a atx-compliant dc-dc power supply.

this means that the m4 takes something like 5-24volts dc input, and converts it to multiple regulated output voltages-- 12v, 5v, and 3.3v. the m4 will also control the startup/shutdown of the computer...

the carnetix 1900, or 2140 is similar, but different: it can still control the startup/shutdown, but it outputs a regulated 19v(actually, they can be set for different voltages) like what you originally said that you needed.

the same end result, but a different path to get there

and if you haven't looked at the FAQ's yet, check it out-- there are many common questions that are answered thoroughly in it.(the link is in darque's sig)

next project? subaru brz
                    carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                      yes, it is basically a different type of power supply-- the m4 is a atx-compliant dc-dc power supply.

this means that the m4 takes something like 5-24volts dc input, and converts it to multiple regulated output voltages-- 12v, 5v, and 3.3v. the m4 will also control the startup/shutdown of the computer...

the carnetix 1900, or 2140 is similar, but different: it can still control the startup/shutdown, but it outputs a regulated 19v(actually, they can be set for different voltages) like what you originally said that you needed.

the same end result, but a different path to get there

and if you haven't looked at the FAQ's yet, check it out-- there are many common questions that are answered thoroughly in it.(the link is in darque's sig)
                      Thank you sir! Exactly what I needed. By FAQ's I thought u guys meant the thread stickeys, which I read and didnt understand a single thing lol.
                      - scENFORCER

Comment

Working...
                      X