video phone is it possible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• video phone is it possible?

is it feasible to have a video conversation with someone else in another car? what is needed? what if the person I want to converse with doesn't want to bother with a carPC is there a simple solution that would basically plug into a standard deck with video in and a handsfree unit?

You could just get a dash mount for an iphone 4.
    My Nearly Complete Car:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
    http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
    http://paulfurtado.com/

Comment

nah is has to integrate so I can use the monitor already in the dash

remember Michael Knight talking to Deven Miles? that's what I am looking for

Comment

If you can do it on a normal PC, then you should be able to do it on your CarPC.

Only restriction would be internet speed.

Although if you are driving it might be a little bit dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Jiels_liken View Post
          is it feasible to have a video conversation with someone else in another car? what is needed? what if the person I want to converse with doesn't want to bother with a carPC is there a simple solution that would basically plug into a standard deck with video in and a handsfree unit?
          Simple Answer? No, it's not feasible.

Can it be done? Yes, but so many things have to line up for it to work well. Both parties would need a carpc, both parties would need a good enough net connection to stream video. Ok, so only 2 things really need to happen, but unless you are both in an area with access to wimax service you are S.O.L. 3G won't handle it and even it it could the signal changes while driving down the road would kill the experience. There is a reason Apple made the video call function on the iPhone 4g wifi only.

Someday, and not to far into the future...just not tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulF View Post
            You could just get a dash mount for an iphone 4.
            Only if he had mobile wimax too - iphone video is wifi only

Originally posted by Zos0 View Post

Can it be done? Yes, but so many things have to line up for it to work well. Both parties would need a carpc, both parties would need a good enough net connection to stream video. Ok, so only 2 things really need to happen, but unless you are both in an area with access to wimax service you are S.O.L. 3G won't handle it and even it it could the signal changes while driving down the road would kill the experience. There is a reason Apple made the video call function on the iPhone 4g wifi only.

+1

You would need some serious processing power to do the video compression in real time (~3Ghz quad core) or a much larger internet connection then you can get with 3G or even 4G unless the 4G signal is perfect.
            openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
            - Always Recruiting Developers -
            Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Its not perfect but ive used skype and yahoo messenger, granted the other person wasnt in a car but Ive seen it in action. A good webcam, good 3g coverage and a decent carpc is all you need.
              MY INSTAllS:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...e-install.html

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...tallation.html

Comment

Originally posted by david69leonard View Post
                Its not perfect but ive used skype and yahoo messenger, granted the other person wasnt in a car but Ive seen it in action. A good webcam, good 3g coverage and a decent carpc is all you need.
                Latency is a killer. I've seen storm chasers stream surprisingly good video (and audio sometimes) out of their cars over 3G out in the middle of nowhere. But it's a one-way proposition. At best, the audio/video stream is 15-20 sec behind realtime, due both to the encoding process and network latency. Put that in the context of a 2-way conversation and you're potentially looking at almost a minutes worth of lag.

My experience with 4G Wimax has not been much better. Yes, more bandwidth, but the essential network infrastructure is about the same, so the network latency stays about the same. Depending upon location, I've seen 3G AND 4G latency numbers on Speedtest.net of over 1000ms! Ugh!

As stated above, there are a variety of ways to approach the acquisition and transmission of the in-car video, but actual network performance will still be a monkey wrench in the works.

VegasGuy

Comment

you guys are awesome, you suck for bursting my bubble (I kinda figured it was a long shot) but your still awesome ppl

Comment

It's very possible and not too hard. It's called skype. Skype video calling has worked for ages. It runs on my carpc and it runs on my phone. Video calling works on both. It works pretty good over 3g too.

You just need:

1) something that runs skype in your car (n900, carpc, i hear some android phones can run skype?)
                    2) internet connection. I use a mifi in my car with a no-contract pay-as-you-go 3G virgin mobile dataplan for $20/mo. You can also tether if your phone supports it. Or just use your phone if you have one that has skype.
                    3) a friend with 1 and 2.

Also, the issue with the iphone 4G and video calls over 3G is probably related to antenna problems or AT&T freaking out than anything else.
                    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

iPhone 4 + jailbreak + 3g unrestrictor + Skype = video phone. Network issues will be a problem.

A video out cable and monitor + tv out app will solve the embedded in dash issue.
                      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                      Want to:
                      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Alas that system is illegal for a driver in the state of Victoria, Australia.
                        No VDUs are allowed to be seen by the driver except for OEM (etc) and navigational aids.
                        But it's ok to be distracted by real passengers. (LOL!)

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                          iPhone 4 + jailbreak + 3g unrestrictor + Skype = video phone. Network issues will be a problem.

A video out cable and monitor + tv out app will solve the embedded in dash issue.
                          are you able to skype video on a jailbroken iphone 4?
                          I didn't think skype had updated their app for video yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Zos0 View Post

I hate it when people say things are not feasible or it cant be done, especially when im doing it, lol, NEWB!!!
                            MY INSTAllS:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...e-install.html

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...tallation.html

Comment

Originally posted by optikalefx View Post
                              are you able to skype video on a jailbroken iphone 4?
                              I didn't think skype had updated their app for video yet.
                              Hrmm...I thought they had, but perhaps I am a little ahead of that development.

3G unrestricted will fool the phone into thinking the app is on wifi. Any app that will do video chat on the iPhone 4 can be made to work as if it were on wifi.
                              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                              Want to:
                              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
                              X