No announcement yet.

Temporarily using inverter - is anything going to blow?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporarily using inverter - is anything going to blow?

Hi all - I've got my CarPC up and running... its an ugly, inefficient mess of wires right now but it was still a thrill when it actually worked.

Right now I have an inverter powering my netbook and a USB hub. I just want to be sure its sufficient and I'm a complete nipple when it comes to electrical uh... stuff.

Input 12V dc, 16A
    Output 120V ac 60Hz
    1.5A 150W (continuous), 175W (assuming max?)
    Fuse 20A/32V

Netbook: (HP Mini 1033NR in case it matters)

Input 100-240V 1A 50-60Hz
    Output 19V==1.58A 30W

USB Hub:

Input 100-240V ac 0.5A 30VA
    Output +5V==2.5A

Am I correct in assuming that since the inverter can handle 1.5A I'm basically maxed out but safe?

Also, I have this inverter plugged in to my car's accessory plug along with an XM Direct unit (12V dc). Any danger of overloading the accessory?

I am planning on getting a more permanent power supply soon, this is all temporary. I'm thinking a Carnetix P1900. If anyone wants to offer any thoughts on this please feel free.

i think you should be ok.

the main reason that none likes inverters is that they are messy-- you are converting dc to ac, back to dc.. and the fact that the current dc-dc options offer shutdown controllers with them, it makes dc-dc's a cheaper, and easier option to use...
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

You should be okay. I don't think you are anywhere near maxed, actually.
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video