Laptop Hook Up to Nav Unit???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Hook Up to Nav Unit???

With a USB port it's easy to hook up a laptop to a nav unit. Has anyone here been able to communicate with their nav unit thru a laptop?? Or at least know someone who has communicated with a nav unit thru their laptop???

Are you talking about the standalone navigation units (like a tomtom or garmin), or a USB gps device? What do you mean communicate? Get GPS data, get routing and directions, or update maps?
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Comment

He's trying to figure out a way to load cracked software onto a WinCE device...
      Tidder

Try RevFE
      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

could be ... but who knows yet.

garmin offers a software solution called garmin mobile pc.
        You loose the main (garmin) device and you need to buy a gps receiver like a bu-353 but you still might be able to use the maps.

Comment

i am going to guess that he means a navigation-enabled head unit, and is trying to use use the usb port like a mimo screen-- ie: plug the laptop into the hu to get the hu's screen to display the computer screen, and audio...

the answer to this assumption is that no, there is no way to do this. both the hu, and the laptop are host devices, and will not allow another device to control them without very specific software, and hardware.

granted, you might be able to do this after a couple thousand dollars in software/hardware engineering, but what is the point when dd vga screens retail for less then $500...
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

Well, I was basing it off of all his other posts. Seems he downloaded some pirated navi software since his HU didn't come with the software and/or maps. Now he's trying to figure out how to run the pirate software off an SD card, on his WinCE-based HU. Can't figure out how to get to the files, probably thinking that if he hooked his laptop up to it, he could run or install it somehow.
            Tidder

Try RevFE
            The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Working...
            X