How Can I Hardwire Sat Radio???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Can I Hardwire Sat Radio???

Just found out the engine rpm noise I am hearing is cause my sat radio is plugged into the cig lighter and my audio output is to the audio input of my nav unit. If I had my sat radio hardwired, it'd be no problem.

So.....how do I do it?? Can I just take the cig lighter adapter and use it for a positive and negative???

pretty much. just make sure to fuse it to protect your car, and the sat radio box.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by NJSATMAN View Post
      Just found out the engine rpm noise I am hearing is cause my sat radio is plugged into the cig lighter and my audio output is to the audio input of my nav unit. If I had my sat radio hardwired, it'd be no problem.
      I'm not so sure that's going to be the case: I'm guessing you have a ground loop between the cigarette lighter's ground and the nav unit's ground (through the audio cable), and to fix it the easiest approach would be to use an audio isolation transformer. (Wal*Mart carries them...)

---Joel

Comment

Originally posted by JKoltner View Post
        I'm not so sure that's going to be the case: I'm guessing you have a ground loop between the cigarette lighter's ground and the nav unit's ground (through the audio cable), and to fix it the easiest approach would be to use an audio isolation transformer. (Wal*Mart carries them...)

---Joel
        this is a bandaid though.

he is correct that he will need to change the power/ground location to correct the problem
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
          this is a bandaid though.

he is correct that he will need to change the power/ground location to correct the problem
          You're right, although sometimes it's very difficult to find a good enough power/ground location to fix the problem completely. There's no shame in using an audio transformer -- some commercial equipment even comes with them built-in.

Balanced inputs on sound cards would be cool!

Comment

Working...
          X