Is Anyone Watching TV in Their Car???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Anyone Watching TV in Their Car???

A Google search brings up all these articles from a few years ago how we were on the verge of digital tv for our cars. Going so far as to put a date of 2009-2010.

Ebay is full of ATSC receiver/tuners with antennas for around $100. People have been able to receive over the air digital/HD in their house for years. I assume if the car is not moving I will be able to receive digital/HD in my car but what about driving???

I also figure if not now, ATSC will be the standard for the future and at least I'll have the hardware in place. The monitor on my nav unit is HD.

Since people can get digital/HD in their house with set top antennas, would I have success with my antenna mounted inside my car??

There is http://www.flotv.com/ FLO TV, it is the new comer for mobile TV, but I don't think they have the hardware for you to use with a computer, you will have to buy their hardware. Other than that there are lots of people offering sat tv, not sure about the hardware though.
    2005 Nissan Altima - Completed 2007
    2010 Nissan Altima - Coming Soon...

Comment

Originally posted by NJSATMAN View Post
      A Google search brings up all these articles from a few years ago how we were on the verge of digital tv for our cars. Going so far as to put a date of 2009-2010.

Ebay is full of ATSC receiver/tuners with antennas for around $100. People have been able to receive over the air digital/HD in their house for years. I assume if the car is not moving I will be able to receive digital/HD in my car but what about driving???

I also figure if not now, ATSC will be the standard for the future and at least I'll have the hardware in place. The monitor on my nav unit is HD.

Since people can get digital/HD in their house with set top antennas, would I have success with my antenna mounted inside my car??
      Here is a link to hdtv on your car pc.
      Suggestions or Comments on the forums? Post here.

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Feel free to pm me if you:
      • Have a general comment on mp3Car's products or services
      • Have a product you would like to have tested by the mp3Car community
      • Have a file you would like mp3Car to host
      • Have a cool idea that would improve the forums

Comment

I am. More here.

I live about 30miles from the nearest antenna, in a valley, so I don't use it much. That's why I don't bother hiding the antenna or finding another. But when I go to the city, and I bother to put the small magnetic antenna out (see link above) it works great. Not so great when moving fast though, I guess UHF are highly directional and it fluctuates too much. But when it's on, it's full on HD, beautiful on the Tablet's 12.1".

I use it more as a disaster preparedness measure, like crank radio, water and can food in the car: that way I can get local news if I'm not at home stuck in a highway after an earthquake or something unusual (I suppose most cell phone service will be congested anyway, so you can't count with 3G/Edge service after any major event). Radio and TV should work, or resume work faster, I think.
        Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
        Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

just give me my rocket stick (only 7.2) and my slingbox and i am good to go. I watch full hockey games while travelling to montreal from toronto along the 401 corridor, or the news during my drive in to work. I can watch anything my all you can eat digital tv package provides, even my home remote and menu guide. Slingbox is just a perfect product and a perfect solution. SNO

Comment

+1 on the slingbox, awesome setup with evdo...
            MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by NJSATMAN View Post

The easiest way to get TV in the car is just get a internet connection and a Sling Box. I could never deal with the channel limits. With Sling Box I get 250+ channels streamed to my car. Reception is fairly decent.

Originally posted by checksum View Post
              There is http://www.flotv.com/ FLO TV, it is the new comer for mobile TV, but I don't think they have the hardware for you to use with a computer, you will have to buy their hardware. Other than that there are lots of people offering sat tv, not sure about the hardware though.
              I heard FloTV is being killed. It didnt really pick up any popularity. Once again it all comes back to channel line up. Flo TV is to limited and a lot of the channels are mobile versions that do not really play the same content and repeat a lot.

Direct TV is the only one that offers full Sat TV to the car, but you have to put this ugly thing on your roof. With my setup, a simple internet connection and a PC and I am done.
              Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1X 7 inch motorized Screen
              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I don't care for slingbox at all.

1. I also use ORB to stream and control my HTPC content (TV and other files). ORB streams Recorded HDTV content, including the huge Windows Media 7 files (.wtv). If you don't have an HTPC however, I agree Slingbox is the way to go.

2. I don't think it streams HD content? Does it connect with your box via digital cables (HDMI?). I don't think so. With ORB, you CAN stream with near HD quality content. Depending on how fast you can upstream from home, how fast is your computer converting 10GB+ .wtv files, and how good is your 3G connection. If you're not moving, the quality can be much better than analog. I may be wrong there.

2. An HDTV receiver produces an incredible image quality: AS GOOD AS YOU CAN GET AT HOME. No streaming necessary. No internet in your car necessary. If you live in the city or close to tv towers, that is the cheapest way to go, with the quality to boot.

Comment

If you'd bother reading the forum posts related to the subject, you'd learn that over-the-air TV signals (both digital and analog) are craptastic while driving.
                  There are other means of receiving TV while on the go, from a mobile satellite dish that looks like a cargo carrier on top of your vehicle to internet-based solutions to a large spool of coax in your trunk.

Do some research to find out what is the best option for your install.

On a side note, I'd like to think that we're driving our vehicles, not watching TV.
                  I'm just sayin'.
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post

On a side note, I'd like to think that we're driving our vehicles, not watching TV.
                    I'm just sayin'.
                    Some of us have passengers in our cars that would like to watch tv.
                    I'm just sayin'.

I guess I could just throw a laptop in my car and do the slingbox thing. Unless I want to make a carputer.

Comment

Sling Box have HD models. Problem is you would most likely need a 4G connection to view it. I agree ORB is awesome, but for a person that just wants to connect the device hit a few buttons and then go, Sling Box is by far the easier solution.

I agree NJ..... Some want it for the passengers. When I had install number 3 working, I use to have Sling Box playing and I would listen to what ever I was watching. I let my imagination fill in the picture.
                      Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                      4X MK808b
                      3x Perixx Touchpads
                      3x 7 inch Screens
                      1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Don't if this helps or not but here's what we've got over here:

old school analog TV: bites the big one big time ... only slightly useful when parked
                        1-seg digital: choppy as in missing frames and slight delays compared to analog but is doable on cell phone or in moving car
                        full-seg digital: awesomeness, clear and almost compares to HDTV and from what I've seen doing around 50mph not that bad! However, might be better IF I wasn't watching the TV in the car driving next to me

Tuners are pretty cheap over here and come in various sizes from usb sticks to almost 1 din size untis but I wonder if signal length is compatible???

Comment

I don't know about all this puritanism with "gee, hope you're driving, not watching tv".

AFAIK this is also legal in Europe, and other parts of the world.

Frankly there's a ton of programming that's exclusive to tv and you don't need to keep your eyes glued to the screen all the time. Most of the time it's enough to hear it and glance at it from time to time. If the driver screws up just throw the book at him.

If a driver has not enough sense to do that, I wonder if some tests of proficiency are needed to allow the use iDrive and other crazy interfaces. Or ban cleavages on the back seat, and mini skirts too..."You got a ticket, driving with a female passenger wearing a short skirt. 12"? Tsk, tsk. Doubly dangerous. blah blah blah" (You're only defense could be "Officer, that's my wife..."? LOL)

I say, it should be legal, or at least not illegal. Enough with the nanny state already.

Comment

Working...
                          X