Ford FiveHundred

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford FiveHundred

Hi, I my name is Alex and I'm almost 16. Right now I am coming into the possession of a 2005 Ford FiveHundred and I'm interested in modding it. Right now I plan to put a sound system in it and I figure I might aswell put a carPC into it since I'm already doing other work to it.

I'm starting from scratch, so I'd like an estimate of about how much it'd cost. I build my own desktop PC's, so I think I can also build the carPC which I think would reduce the price.

If you guys have any information/opinions to give to me, plus more ideas I welcome you to post it here for me.

~Alex

the faq's are a good starting place:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advfaq.php

for the cost of the hardware, this can vary widely, both with what you want to get out of the carpc, and what you can afford.. some have done it for as little as 300-400, my personal setup has a current running cost of about 1,500-2,000 at the moment(i don't keep exact numbers because it is after all a hobby)--and is on the second hardware revision..

in general, most installs seem to end up costing about $800 in carpc hardware. but this will usually not cover installation-specific parts such as wiring, switches, dash bezels, etc..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Im not even going to post what my install cost. I could have bought a nice used car with the money, lol. Basically the more you want the car pc to do, the more its going to cost.

Do an outlive on what you want, also include passengers. Your 16, so I have to assume you will have friends with you. So a dual zone system will run you about $800.00 in hardware. So soundman98 is pretty spot on.
      Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
      4X MK808b
      3x Perixx Touchpads
      3x 7 inch Screens
      1X 7 inch motorized Screen
      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

i disagree with the dual zone--in fact i kind of disagree on installing a carpc for a young driver-- my sister recently turned 16-- and i would never let her install a carpc at least for a couple years when she gets some experience...

trust me-- after a couple car accidents(one involving changing songs on the carpc, and rear-ending a scion), and almost 5 years behind the wheel, i can PROMISE that you do not have enough experience just-plain driving a car, and that the extra distraction of a carpc might not be what is best for you at this time, or the other drivers that would be on the road near you...
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
          i disagree with the dual zone--in fact i kind of disagree on installing a carpc for a young driver-- my sister recently turned 16-- and i would never let her install a carpc at least for a couple years when she gets some experience...

trust me-- after a couple car accidents(one involving changing songs on the carpc, and rear-ending a scion), and almost 5 years behind the wheel, i can PROMISE that you do not have enough experience just-plain driving a car, and that the extra distraction of a carpc might not be what is best for you at this time, or the other drivers that would be on the road near you...
          very good point! Even if you do have good experience driving at 16, you dont have enough experience to predict other drivers also.
          Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
          4X MK808b
          3x Perixx Touchpads
          3x 7 inch Screens
          1X 7 inch motorized Screen
          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
          X