Improvet Atom ION cooling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improvet Atom ION cooling

Hi all, as you can see i'm new at this forum.
    I have an Atom 330 ION CarPC set up (full spec below) which is located in a custom iron case inside my gloove box.
    With stock cooling the CarPC failse and restarts at about 90c load. in order to soolve that i have placed a 60mm fan on top of the stock cooling thus acheiving 60c load (its importent to mention the ION dosent have a temp sensor as far as i know and its probaly hotter since it immets more heat but since they both use the same heatsink the temp difarentional cant be to high).

I want to find a better cooling selution that will protect my system.
    I haven't found any reaplcemnt for the stock cooling (someone know?) and strated to think creatively - how about making a TEC Peltier cooling for the CPU and GPU?
    TEC Peltier cooling is hard to make affective when trying to cool high watts, but since the Atom and IOM are about 20W TDP and i'm limmted in space I think that a low power consuming Peltier would make a diffrence from a 60c load.

What do you think?
    How strong Tec Peltier do you recoomand?
    How can i make mounts for it?
    Will i'll see any improvment?
    Considering my step do i have enough watts our of my M4 to run the Peltier needed?

CarPC:
    Asus AT3N7A-I Atom 330 ION
    2GB X2 kingston DDR 2 800mhz
    intel X25-m ssd 40GB
    Sony slim dvdrw drive
    3X40mm fans
    1X80mm fan
    1X60mm fan
    USB: GPS, DVBT, Touch controler, sollar modem, WIFI, Interned cam, Wireless keyboard, External 320GB 5400RPM drive (usb/Esta)
    M4 power supply

also conected is lilliput 7" 629GL screen and 3X120m led TT fans for the amps.
    Im thinking about purchesing an M1 power supply and deticated it to the screen and AMP fans, thus arnning a few more Watts of the M4 for the TEC Peltier's
    What do you think about that?
    Should i place a secound fuse between the M1 and the screen?

Thanks for the help and sorry on the speling mistakes...

For a car environment, avoid a peltier like the plague.

It uses a lot of power to run for the cooling that it provides, so you would probably find you have issues powering it from even the M4.

The other big issue is that with a smaller heat load like an atom unit, you are going to have cooler than ambient temperatures around the processor. This will result in condensation forming on the board. While this kind of thing can be easily worked around on a desktop system by playing with insulation and the like, in a car system, there is too much vibration, and too many outside factors to make it safe.

Peltiers are great when you have a stable, easily accessible system that isnt under any outside stresses. They are horrible for embedded, tightly packed, hard to access systems.

You would be better off looking at options for pulling cabin air into the area around the computer, and trying to recycle the air around the motherboard and processor as much as possible, your temps will plummet down to a useable level much easier that way.

Putting the 60mm fan on the heatsink is a good start, but cut some 80mm holes in the steel case around the computer, and fit some good quality 80mm fans there. Get that air moving around, in and out of the case.

Comment

very nicely put.

there was some debate in another thread about the direction of air(whether to push the air in, or force it out), and how it affects the pc's, but the general consensus is that ANY fresh air movement across the pc will help bring temps down.
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

thanks for the replay mates.
        i think that if ill persist with air cooling ill have to do 2 things:
        a. buy or create a bigger heatsink
        b. place some more exhaust 60-40mm fans
        the main issue is that every thing is tightly fitted and i dont have muche room.
        maybe a pictuer will help?

in the peltier aspect, what is plauge?
        i think that if ill find a low power peltier, and consedering that i cant cool the hot side too much that ill find a lower temp and not lower that ambient...
        the question is how strong peltier..?

Comment

he is saying to avoid using peltier coolers because they can cause more harm then good in a car environment.

remember--your car will have wide swings in temperature during the day, and these wide swings, while using a cooler like a peltier, will cause condensation to build up on the motherboard-- the condensation can lead to corrosion, which will lead to motherboard failure.
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
            very nicely put.

there was some debate in another thread about the direction of air(whether to push the air in, or force it out), and how it affects the pc's, but the general consensus is that ANY fresh air movement across the pc will help bring temps down.
            i can say from my heavy modding days that in my experience positive pressure in the case is best to help avoid dust buildup for a longer period of time.

the hardest thing about that positive pressure is that you lose a bit of cooling because you are "forcing air in" instead of focusing on removing waste heat.

now having said that.. I am of the firm belief that fans are the devil. they are loud and ineffecient. sure, they get the job done, but not exactly WELL. I've had some ideas of trying to create a heatpipe system that is at least effective enough to move the majority of the heat to one side of a case. Then on the case have a smaller higher opening than on the other end causing nature to do it's thing and push out hot air just to keep pressure neutral.. but that idea has thus far been sleeping on my drawing board.
            ---------
            I'll do the bumbling, and i'll be the idiot.
            if you've got a "stupid" question, search for some of mine!

Comment

I agree, fans are the devil, they always like to fail when you least want them to....but in this kind of situation, its better the devil you know

Unless you have the unit in a place where there just isn't any heat buildup, you will require fans.

But the trick is doing all you can to help them out, just slapping a fan onto something that doesn't allow for clear air channels inside, with good venting options just isn't worth doing.

They are a great option, but have to be taken as an overall view.

Comment

Working...
              X