Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure which All-In-One to purchase

Hi,

I was thinking about building a CarPC but I don't have the time to do all the research required so decided to go for the all-in-one approach. I drive a Ford Focus 06 and I have found a few options but not sure of which way to go.

The first one is to get a double din adaptor for my car and look for a 7" all in one unit such as:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Double-DIN-7-...item35ac717460

The second option is to purchase a all-in-one supposedly designed for my type of car here:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HD-7-DVD-PLAY...item5adc6ef76e

I feel more inclined to get the customer Ford one however I am a bit worried that it will not look nearly as OEM as the one with a double din adaptor. That unit for $400 seems to have everything I need (GPS/BT/AUX/CD/DVD) but am looking for advice/recommendations.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't purchase either.

You're talking about unbranded electronic pieces from China. Quality would be suspect, at best.
    If you have trouble with the unit, getting support from an EBay seller could prove difficult, if not impossible.

Ultimately, it's up to you. If it's just a matter of appearance, then the second one will look better in my opinion.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

+1

i have posted a couple of times with the bad sides of all-in-one units so search for those posts.. there are some brands that don't seem to bad(at least on the surface), but neither of those are one of them.

here's a good thread:
      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gene...-sys-x500.html
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

Yeah I do know quality won't be the best but I don't particularly want to pay thousands of $$ for a decent unit. I would rather stay away from ebay. Can you point me in the right direction for any all in one units at around the $400-$600 mark?

Comment

Originally posted by sam0433450 View Post
          Yeah I do know quality won't be the best but I don't particularly want to pay thousands of $$ for a decent unit. I would rather stay away from ebay. Can you point me in the right direction for any all in one units at around the $400-$600 mark?

For that price, you're going to be limited to the chinese ebay style units when it comes to all-in-ones.
          "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
          RevFE
          My Shop

Comment

Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
            For that price, you're going to be limited to the chinese ebay style units when it comes to all-in-ones.
            I think the all-in-one i'm building would cost about 500-700 to build.
            Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
            Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
            Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

unless you build a solution like what tripzero is working on, the cheap chinese units are exactly that--cheap.

i have read of many complaints of everything on them-- many use very poorly built user interfaces, and most run on win CE, and seem to use custom drivers for everything.. so updates, and changes are extremely hard, if not impossible..
              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

Yeah I'm not expecting huge things but as long as it plays music i'll be happy lol

Comment

Working...
                X