Dell D410 Dock Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell D410 Dock Problem

Hope I can get a little help with a Dell dock....

I am using a Dell D410, it works great on the bench out of the dock. I'm using the new Ride Runner and DFX5. My plan is to extend the power button on the dock to power the D410. The problem I am having is the dock seems to have a mind of its own. If I boot up with the D410 docked it will hang up with a flashing cursor in the upper left hand corner. If I put the D410 in the dock while it is already booted up my touch pad won't work, pop it out and everything works fine. I went out to the shop yesterday morning and turned the D410 on while in the dock and everything worked fine. I shut it down and powered it back up and it hung up as before. I booted the D410 (out of the dock) and hit the F2 key and looked at the settings, the settings for the dock can't be changed.
    I have cleaned the contacts on the D410 and the dock, didn't help. Right now I am using a Dell 90w A/C power supply eventually I will be using a 90w Lind power supply.
    Is there a setting someplace I need to change? I looked online for a driver but I couldn't find anything. The D410 is in real good condition with a fresh reload on the OS.
    I'm hoping its a simple fix or something I have over looked. Thanks in advance......

Sorry - I didn't mention I am running XP with SP2 - recently updated

Comment

It sounds like it may be trying to boot from an external device. I see that dock can have an optical drive, and it may be trying to boot from that before the internal HDD.

I would check your BIOS to make sure that the HDD is the first boot device. If there are settings for both docked and undocked configurations, set the internal HDD as the first boot device in both.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Ok - I remember seeing that setting, I'll give it a try tonight. Hopefully its that easy....Thanks.

Comment

I moved the HDD to the top of the list - its still doing the same thing. I checked the voltage on my power supply, its a steady 19.5 v. Any more suggestions.....

Comment

Still fighting this dock....about ready to throw in the towel. I installed the NSS patch and all updates from Dell's website, no help. It seems like there is a setting off someplace not letting the laptop and the dock work and play well together. I have been all over Dell's website and I haven't had an "A-HA" moment yet. Any other suggestions would be welcome....

Comment

Okay a little more info....I know I'm a pain....
              I tried my Lind Power Supply - did the same thing as a regular power supply. Then just for the heck of it I booted with no power supply at all just a battery in the computer and no battery in the dock. It started to boot and switched to a screen that advised that there is not a power supply attached or there is an unrecognized power supply attached. I think this seems to support the theory that the dock is good and there is just a setting off someplace. Should I just bite the bullet and do another fresh install of the OS. I just did a fresh install, would doing it again make any difference?

Comment

Sounds like a bad dock to me.
                Tidder

Try RevFE
                The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Is the P/S for the dock the same one you are using when undocked?
                  If not, is the dock P/S a proper Dell P/S and not an aftermarket power Brick? Dells & HP's both have issues with non-OEM power supplies.
                  My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

I'm using a Dell power supply - it is 90 watt and has the correct amps. I have tried several different Dell power supplies and my Lind power supply, all with the same hangup.

Comment

Can you find another dock to borrow to see if thats the problem?

Comment

No unfortunately I don't - I can get one on ebay for around $25-$30 with shipping. I'm gonna order it tomorrow.....

Comment

The dock is working perfectly now....it ended up being a setting. I had to set up a new hardware profile. I finally found an article at Microsoft....followed the directions and it didn't work. I updated my bios and everything started working fine. The shut control works like a charm. I thought I had updated my bios, in fact I am certain I did, I guess the update didn't work for some reason. Anyway, persistence paid off and I can move forward.....thanks for the suggestions....

Comment

Originally posted by 1043 View Post
                            The dock is working perfectly now....it ended up being a setting. I had to set up a new hardware profile. I finally found an article at Microsoft....followed the directions and it didn't work. I updated my bios and everything started working fine. The shut control works like a charm. I thought I had updated my bios, in fact I am certain I did, I guess the update didn't work for some reason. Anyway, persistence paid off and I can move forward.....thanks for the suggestions....
                            Great news! Glad you got it working without replacing the dock.

Comment

Working...
                            X