Couple of newbie questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of newbie questions

I've been reading the FAQ's and browsing the forums, but I have a few questions still about this job.

Question 1:
    I have a laptop that I'd like to start the setup with, or possibly keep with it. I understand that I'd need to either dock it or disassemble the laptop for means of making an external switch unless I want to turn the laptop on/off every time I drive (which would not be a good idea), correct?

Question 2:
    What type of output does a screen usually have? VGA/DVI/HDMI? The ones I searched on had technical terms that I was guessing meant VGA.

Question 3:
    Is the software thats usually shown on these computer screens (with selections like GPS, Music, DVD, Radio, etc) built into the screen or is it in the computer?

I'm sorry if these are newb questions but I seemed to have overlooked the answers to these questions. Thanks in advance guys.
    Carputer Design - %95
    Parts Ordered - %10
    Parts Installed - %0
    Tested - %0

well since im not using a laptop i wont comment on question #1 but ill help with 2 & 3.

2) most of the newer touchscreens made in the last year will have a DVI or HDMI. for the purposes of a car computer these are the same. an adapter will easily convert one to the other without affecting the image. VGA is more common on the older models.

3) the software you see on most of these are computers is called a "Front End". its loaded onto the computer itself, the monitor just displays it. if you check in the software section of these forums, youll find a section dedicated to front ends. there are many to choose from. the most popular are Centrafuse (CF) and RideRunner (RR).

Comment

check the faq's

1. pretty much. there are also other solutions like Wake On Lan(WOL), or repurposing a existing port on the pc to give the power button to a external device(covered in a recent WOL laptop thread, allows you to remove the laptop easier)
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I really did read most of those FAQ's already but I must have overlooked the answers to my questions (as I said in the first post), and I'm sure there could be more to be said on the topics than what is stated in the FAQ's.
        Carputer Design - %95
        Parts Ordered - %10
        Parts Installed - %0
        Tested - %0

Comment

Working...
        X