Powering an inverter from installed amp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powering an inverter from installed amp

I bought a Honda S2000 that came with a few modifications including an Alpine stereo system, JL Audio 300 4v2 amp and a JL Audio Stealthbox Sub. Would I be able to use the power cable that powers the Amp to install a power inverter in my trunk? Sorry if I'm not being clear or specific enough.
    Carputer Design - %95
    Parts Ordered - %10
    Parts Installed - %0
    Tested - %0

You probably could run from the positive line (the thickest one; not the remote trigger wire) to the inverter, but you run the risk of overloading the circuit and either blowing a fuse, or potentially setting things on fire… (Electrical fires aren't fun at all)

The best thing would be to NOT use an inverter if you plan to do a CarPC, and go with a DC-DC power supply. They are worth it! Most of them even start-up and shutdown the computer for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    After a 2 year break, I'm back! There are so many new and familiar faces here!
    New vehicle, new ideas!

Chryssi - The Changeling CarPC Project

Comment

If the power cable can support the load of both the amp and the inverter, you should use a distribution block to split the power lines up.
      Don't forget to fuse both lines coming out of the distro block!
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

you can connect the invertor to the amp power line assuming that it has the capacity for it.
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

i have been thinking of doing this as i plain for my build.. i have a run of 4 gauge and a run of 0 gauge ran back to my amps... as long as you have a fuse up by your battery that is rated for your run of what ever gauge you have you will be fine.. if you over load it the fuse will blow.. i am sure with my run of 0 gauge and my fuse i will be fine.. i will have a destro block i will use in the back to split it .. then fuse agin for the run to the inverter

Comment

Try it and see.
            If noise is a problem, run another cable. (Else maybe battery next to the amp or inverter.)

Comment

a good guide, even if it applies to car audio:

millertime4060 is correct about teh fuse size being rated for the load, but didn't mention that the wire size also needs to be rated for the load-- you can always use a 30A fuse on a wire capable of carrying 200A, but not the other way around..
              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                you can always use a 30A fuse on a wire capable of carrying 200A, but not the other way around..
                In the latter case, omit the fuse. The wire itself becomes the fuse.

This is obvious to some of us, but hopefully it does become obvious rather than a mere black rule. (As per my reply #9 in pulling power from factory radio connector.)

Comment

Working...
                X