Intel Atom w/o fan, possible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Atom w/o fan, possible?

I was wondering anybody tried used a big heatsink and without fan? I'm interested in the single core N230 CU board.

they do have fanless atom boards(i am pretty sure that gigabyte, intel, and zotac all have models).

otherwise, there was this thread on using a commell board:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...ease-help.html

i really prefer forced air methods though-- i just haven't been convinced that passive heat transfer solutions are the best in a car on a hot day..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

the fan is usually on the chipset on the intel atom boards thats what heats up more

Comment

I will use case fan(s), but I'm thinking that I will have to many and it'll be to noisy.
        right now I have transfered the existing heatsink w/fan(40mm) from the northgate cpu to the Atom cpu(doesn't have one from factory), and I added a Pentium III heatsink w/fan(60mm) to the northgate cpu.
        the D410 doesn't have one, but maybe has less consumption then mine. I will have to look it up.

Comment

i have a zotac ion (see my sig for model) running fanless in a VoomPC 2 case with two small low power case fans. even in the summer it works fine.
          EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
          Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
          OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
          Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
          BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
          VoomPC 2

Comment

what temperatures do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by SNOtwistR View Post
              the fan is usually on the chipset on the intel atom boards thats what heats up more
              yes, the cpu has(had) a very small heat sink only.

Comment

somewhere I could buy a heat sink like the Ion board has? I would give it a try.

Comment

found this, what do you think about this?
                  not sure about the hight(81mm is the hight?) and if it would work inside the dashboard?
                  http://www.klopfenstein.net/lorenz.a...atom-d945gclf2

Comment

My Foxconn 45CSX comes totally fanless and works fine in the trunk all summer. Its an atom 330 board with a GMA945 graphics.

Comment

pinetrail based atoms should all work in fanless configurations with a big enough heatsink. The chipset is a much improved, lower-power chipset unlike the ones in the 230/330 Atoms.

That said, my zotac ion/atom 330 had the option to go fanless. I put the fan on anyway just for fun.
                      Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                      Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                      Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Just to add my 2 cents, Zotac do some ION Atoms that will run fanless... however I chose one that needed a fan as I wasnt worried about space requirements

Comment

I have a Fanless Atom D510

Yes there are some great boards out there. ill be updating my build post probably tomorrow. I have an intel Atom D510 board linked below in a M350 Mini ITX enclosure. it runs very cool 42C in the summer in Texas. All i have is 1 10mm case fan.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813153176

http://www.mini-box.com/M350-univers...-itx-enclosure
                          Expert IT Administrator/Technician

A+, Net+, Sec+, MCP, CEH

Comment

yes a know that hardware, but I'm trying to squiz a small amp(maybe amp9), hd radio adapter in there also with some shelves between them.
                            rigtht now everything it's below 48c, but the box it's open. cpu it's 14-22c with the nortridge heatsink and fan.

Comment

Working...
                            X