Audio hardware needed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio hardware needed?

I'm replacing my Pioneer head unit in lieu of a touch screen. I currently have an Alpine MRD1005 powering two subs. I want my carputer to handle all the audio, I got a cheap 4ch amp to power my speakers. My question is, what is the best way to take the audio output from my carputer and route it to the proper amps? I assumed I need the high level inputs for the 4ch amp and the RCA for the Alpine. The Pioneer has 8v preouts i am using for the subs, too.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advf...iew&advfaqid=7
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Oh... i am a newbie to... the link above is very helpful ... i have been reading and reading here on the site.. i have kind of the same plain.. and have been asking myself the same qustions you have.. i have been thinking it is going to be alot harder then what it is going to be the more i understand how it works... you just need a sound card or one of these to plug you rca plugs in to then to the amp..http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=1iwzjstiloqx6 ... there is more on the bottom of the page.. they very in price for what you want... hope this helps.. and that i am on the right track with my searching....

Comment

all you need is to plug a cable like this into the soundcard output:
        http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

and connectthe rca cables to the appropriate channels on the amps..
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

[QUOTE=soundman98;1421027]all you need is to plug a cable like this into the soundcard output:
          http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

no, you need the Monster brand - platinum plated tungsten carbide vacuum sealed with anti-resonance technology.

Comment

@DarquePervert: Just curious about your diagram

I get splitting the stereo channel into mono (although I would use the wire Soundman suggests as every connection adds resistance and reduces sound quality), but why does the diagram have a second split resulting in I guess 4 channels of mono (two left and two right)?

Comment

1 - It's not my diagram.

2 - You're not splitting into mono. You're splitting the 1/8" headphone jack into two, then into RCA L/R so you get 4 channels.

Personally, I'm not a fan of this configuration. You're basically duplicating the stereo channel and it's not true 4-channel stereo output that can fade front-to-rear.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

while i don't completely agree with the method listed in the faq, it is guaranteed to get audio to all 4 speakers in almost all configurations, where the other methods i know of are specific to different hardware...

2. i think i understand what you means by mono-- the 1/8" jack is outputting a stereo signal, and the splitter is splitting that up-- you are ending up with 2 different mono sources

3. technically every connection adds resistance, but i have installed multiple connectors in audio systems, and have never been able to tell the difference by ear between a straight-through cable, and a bunch of cables patched together. (and i can tell the difference between a 128bp/s mp3 encoded audio file from a flac encoded audio file..).

3a. the cable i linked to is a short jumper and has female rca connections-- much like the back of a head unit, or amp, so these would be used in conjunction with a properly sized rca-rca cable.

the alternative with less connections would be to get a correct-length 1/8"- male rca cable to go from the pc to the amp.

next project? subaru brz
                carpc undecided

Comment

ya ... with the method above you are just spliting like the left stereo channel in to 4 left or right channels... which will sound like crap... i am wanting to do a carputer.. But i am doing it becuse i want my audio to better then what i have now.. i want to down load a audio processors to help make my system better.. and then have like a 20 band eq.. Time alignmen.... surround sound.. and just stereo.. i figured with a carputer it could do alot more then what i have now.. isn't there a good sound card or a external one that has regular 4 or 5 channel pre amp rca outs like on the back of a car audio cd/dvd player ? here is what i have right now.. if i can not do better then there is no reason to try and go with a carputer.. if i had windows xp or windows 7 on what i have now with a good sized hard drive and wifi i would be happy.. i could download what i am wanting.. thanks for all your guys input.. this site is full of information

JVC KW-AVX800 double din DVD/CD
                  Focal 165 KRX2 components powerd by
                  MB Quart Q4.150
                  880W RMS Q Series 4-Channel Amplifier
                  SSA 15" Xcon powered by
                  sundown SAZ 1500d
                  16" monitor in the rear
                  big 3 done in 0 gauge.
                  upgraded electrical

Comment

Sounds like you need to go optical out to a processor. There are a few good ones out there from Alpine, RF, etc.
                    I am using the Alpine H700/H701 and I love it! There is also a control board being designed right now by one of our members to control it from the PC.
                    My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

Originally posted by millertime4060 View Post
                      ya ... with the method above you are just spliting like the left stereo channel in to 4 left or right channels... which will sound like crap... i am wanting to do a carputer.. But i am doing it becuse i want my audio to better then what i have now.. i want to down load a audio processors to help make my system better.. and then have like a 20 band eq.. Time alignmen.... surround sound.. and just stereo.. i figured with a carputer it could do alot more then what i have now.. isn't there a good sound card or a external one that has regular 4 or 5 channel pre amp rca outs like on the back of a car audio cd/dvd player ? here is what i have right now.. if i can not do better then there is no reason to try and go with a carputer.. if i had windows xp or windows 7 on what i have now with a good sized hard drive and wifi i would be happy.. i could download what i am wanting.. thanks for all your guys input.. this site is full of information

JVC KW-AVX800 double din DVD/CD
                      Focal 165 KRX2 components powerd by
                      MB Quart Q4.150
                      880W RMS Q Series 4-Channel Amplifier
                      SSA 15" Xcon powered by
                      sundown SAZ 1500d
                      16" monitor in the rear
                      big 3 done in 0 gauge.
                      upgraded electrical

the faq's are a very basic intro to getting everything working--as i said, it is crude, but it will work with every setup i can think of, where the other methods will not.

you are looking for a more complex setup, and because of that, this faq is useless to you. start searching for audio processing through the computer--member durwood has a link in his sig.. that covers a lot of the basics, and what you'll need. or, if all else fails, search my name in the car audio, and high end car audio section. i have covered it a couple of times as well

the other option here is to use a external processor idea like what philg suggested. either will work..

the other thing i think needs to be understood is that there are no computers that are designed for car audio. there are computers for cars, and there is car audio, there is no in-between. this means that you need to research, and design your own solution to the problem-- and do not expect to find a "car audio-like" sound card with 4 outputs, and balance, and fade controls from any major manufacturer(member 2k1toaster is working on designing one though). there is just not enough demand to justify it to these large companies.

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                        the faq's are a very basic intro to getting everything working--as i said, it is crude, but it will work with every setup i can think of, where the other methods will not.

you are looking for a more complex setup, and because of that, this faq is useless to you. start searching for audio processing through the computer--member durwood has a link in his sig.. that covers a lot of the basics, and what you'll need. or, if all else fails, search my name in the car audio, and high end car audio section. i have covered it a couple of times as well

the other option here is to use a external processor idea like what philg suggested. either will work..

the other thing i think needs to be understood is that there are no computers that are designed for car audio. there are computers for cars, and there is car audio, there is no in-between. this means that you need to research, and design your own solution to the problem-- and do not expect to find a "car audio-like" sound card with 4 outputs, and balance, and fade controls from any major manufacturer(member 2k1toaster is working on designing one though). there is just not enough demand to justify it to these large companies.
                        Thanks for your input.. it is very helpful.. i have contacted a sound card builder to see if they have anything like i am looking for. waiting for them to get back to me.. you mite have allready answeared it tho... Thanks... the search has started...

Comment

Originally posted by PhilG View Post
                          Sounds like you need to go optical out to a processor. There are a few good ones out there from Alpine, RF, etc.
                          I am using the Alpine H700/H701 and I love it! There is also a control board being designed right now by one of our members to control it from the PC.
                          you coud be right.....i will look into what you are using... i was looking at your build the other day..you gave me a bunch of good ideas... i have a 2006 FX4 F-150 super crew

Comment

Originally posted by millertime4060 View Post
                            you coud be right.....i will look into what you are using... i was looking at your build the other day..you gave me a bunch of good ideas... i have a 2006 FX4 F-150 super crew
                            Be carefull! This stuff is really additive

I look forward to seeing what you put together!!
                            My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

Working...
                            X