Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD not being recognized

Hello,

I have had a PC in my truck for about 6 months (setup below). At first I did not have any major issues with the operation until I started to experience significant lag when running RideRunner. I installed a new HD and all was well for about 2 months when the HD started to not always be recognized at boot up, but would generally be seen after a reboot. Well, now it is not being sensed at all. I have tried a new HD (3rd one) and a new motherboard but still am not able to get it to recognize. I can hear the HD spooling up but then nothing.

Any thoughts as I am completely at a loss? I was thinking it might be related to the power supply so I was going to hook up an external supply to see if that helps...

Setup:
    Win XP, M2-ATX 160W, WD 40GB 2.5 IDE HD, SBC836A1 - VIA EDEN Fanless Motherboard.

Has the temperature gotten a lot lower? Are you using a 2.5" drive?

Sometimes the fluid bearings in the drives will freeze up and cause the HD not to be detected. This usually happens in the dead of winter rather than earlier on.

Also, you simply shouldn't be burning through drives like that. Maybe one faulty one, but not 3. Are you using a proper intelligent power supply that shuts the drive down gracefully? Even if you are, are you sure it is doing that or does the drive hang regularly on shutdown?
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
      Has the temperature gotten a lot lower? Are you using a 2.5" drive?

Sometimes the fluid bearings in the drives will freeze up and cause the HD not to be detected. This usually happens in the dead of winter rather than earlier on.

Also, you simply shouldn't be burning through drives like that. Maybe one faulty one, but not 3. Are you using a proper intelligent power supply that shuts the drive down gracefully? Even if you are, are you sure it is doing that or does the drive hang regularly on shutdown?

It has gotten lower but I live in Tucson so the temperature ranges from 70 during the day to 40 at night. The funny thing is before this last drive went out it would only work when starting the computer the first few times each day.

I am using an M2-ATX 160W which has shut down the computer properly without issue. I have not seen the drive hang after shut down.

The strange thing is that the first drive failed, the second works when it works and I could never get the third HD to be recognized which makes me think it is something other than the motherboard which I have already replaced.

I have 10+ sets of MOBO's and HD's so it isn't a big deal replacing them, but I would like to figure out whats going on since I have obviously only gone after the symptom and not the cause.

Comment

Working...
      X