What power supply to use

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What power supply to use

I am new to the CarPC area. The main thing that I am worried about is applying power to the unit. I have skimmed the forums and have found nothing. I am looking to buy the LIAN LI PC-Q09A which has an 80W DC to DC converter and can be found on newegg. If the power input is 12V would this alone suffice? Or should I have a regulator as well? Again, I apologize for asking something that seems so simple but I wouldn't be very happy if I just bought everything to fry it the moment I power it on.

Thanks in advanced.

What exactly you want to power a desktop or laptop? If its a desktop go for one of the supplys like the M2-atx then will work with your ignition

Comment

No that isn't really appropriate for a car PC. The DC-to-DC converter, from what I've read on here (I don't have one of those myself), needs a regulated 12V supply. So you'd need to buy another regulator, spending even more money. And you still needs a startup/shutdown controller (more money).

Instead, if you want to shop on Newegg for a case, get one without a power supply, and add something like an M2-ATX, which can be hooked directly to your vehicle's 12V, and has an integrated startup/shutdown controller. Or get a case from here in the mp3car.com store, one that includes the appropriate power supply.

Hope this helps!
      -- Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by SolveEtCoagula0 View Post
        I am new to the CarPC area. The main thing that I am worried about is applying power to the unit. I have skimmed the forums and have found nothing. I am looking to buy the LIAN LI PC-Q09A which has an 80W DC to DC converter and can be found on newegg. If the power input is 12V would this alone suffice? Or should I have a regulator as well? Again, I apologize for asking something that seems so simple but I wouldn't be very happy if I just bought everything to fry it the moment I power it on.

Thanks in advanced.
        You´d be better off as Kross states with just a plain ITX case that´s built with one of the automotive PSU´s in mind (opus, DSATX, m2, etc).
        I´d browse a bit here for some of the usually used/sold candidates, a re-gander at the power supplies section of the FAQ to compare what is around with what you think you might want as well. Then peek at mp3car´s ITX case listing for examples to see what can fit what with what you plan to install.
        Lian Li used to build some of the best desktop cases back in the day, but afraid for this application they´re the short guy getting picked last for the basketball team.

I´d still of course give a shout out once you think you´ve got a setup going, many can give some insight on a few of the more common issues with certain PSU´s and general setups. Good luck and welcome to the fray.
        2008 Ford Mustang GT/CS CARPC(99%)
        Software: Ride/Road-Runner, Digital FX skin 5.x, iGuidance 2011, GPSgate on Win7 64bit

Comment

I am going to assume that the cases on MP3Car all have mounting brackets for all of the power supplies they sell?

Comment

Not necessarily.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Hi Solve,

We sell several Mini ITX cases. Here are the PSUs that fit in each:

Morex T1610- none, this case works only with the Intel D945GSEJT board, which has an on board PSU, you need to use our CarNetix CNX-P2140 power regulator with this setup

Morex 5677- (our favorite)- M2-ATX or M2-ATX-HV

Morex 5689- M3-ATX, M3-ATX-HV

Chenbro PC78131- M3-ATX, M3-ATX-HV

Mini-Box M350- M3-ATX, M3-ATX-HV

Keep in mind, fitment does depend on the motherboard and processor configuration as well. If you have specific mtb/processor combinations you'd like help with, please email us at the store.

Stephen
              Have a product you would like to sell on the mp3Car Store? PM me for more information.

Have a car computer question? Ask me by emailing the store.

Comment

So, I'm thinking the 5677 case with M2-ATX 160W and P2140 Regulator.

Comment

What case fits the DSATX and a mini-ITX motherboard well?
                  2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
                  Core Duo CarPC
                  CarDomain page

Comment

Hi again Solve,

The 5677 case with the M2-ATX is all you would need to power your setup. A DC to DC regulator is more of a substitute for a power supply, not something you would need in addition to.

Stephen
                    Have a product you would like to sell on the mp3Car Store? PM me for more information.

Comment

Originally posted by Caelric View Post
                      What case fits the DSATX and a mini-ITX motherboard well?
                      One o your own design.
                      How about the Wiki?

Comment

been there, done that (twice, made out of plexiglass), would rather have a nice premade case this time.
                        Core Duo CarPC
                        CarDomain page

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately, we don't have a case that works with the DSATX without modification.

Comment

Originally posted by newpctech
                            I am searching for the same thing with some diff variables,
                            So your situation is different.

I have a ion330 in a M350 Universal Mini-ITX case...no real room for the M2-ATX inside so if I go with that I will need a separate enclosure...and I would not like to do that.
                            You have several choices:
                            1 - Keep the M2 outside the case.
                            2 - Get a different case.
                            3 - Don't use a case at all.
                            4 - Fabricate your own.

I am looking to power the duel core motherboard,
                            Dueling motherboards?

I know you mean "dual core", but just can't be bothered to spell it correctly.

the GPS receiver, bluetooth and wireless usb. I would also be looking to run a powered hub off a 5v rail for misc items like if needed a keyboard, charge and jack my phone etc.
                            USB hub is a bad idea for your GPS, at least.
                            Problems with resuming from hibernation will drive you mad.

I am looking at MiniPico items but I just don't know what model I need with a 5v rail and startup/shutdown programming avail.
                            MiniPico? What?

Do you mean PicoITX formfactor?

Any thoughts would be great!!
                            I think this is a threadjack.
                            Now I'm wondering why I'm contributing to your delinquency.
                            How about the Wiki?

Comment

'How To Win Friends and Influence People'
                              Core Duo CarPC
                              CarDomain page

Comment

Working...
                              X