Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What hardware and which PSU can I use with it ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What hardware and which PSU can I use with it ?

Hi folks,

I am looking at sticking a nettop PC in my car. The model I am looking in particular is a Zotac ZBOX ID01.

Q1. Is that going to be a good choice, since I can source the barebone unit for around Ł170, and then add a HDD and RAM of my choice.

Q2. Can I also ask, that it appears that this unit comes with its external PSU unit, probably one of the tiny ones that come with netbooks. How can I use a DC-DC PSU like M2-ATX with this PC?

Cheers for reading.

As its an atom CPU with no ram, HDD or os I would get an m2-atx and a motherboard with the atom build in then should would perfectly

Comment

being that the site you are looking at getting it from has limited info, i am using the connections, and pictures associated with this similar model from the US market..

Q1: it should be fine.

Q2:the power supplys for these units are typically 19v(though i would order the z-box first, and double check this before ordering a power supply-- i have not seen any sales listings that state that it has a 19v power supply, so can't confirm that)-- so a carnetix power supply should work fine-- where a m1/2/3 will require you to hack the mainboard after the power regulation to allow it to provide the correct 12v,5v,and 3.3v rails..
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
        Q2:the power supplys for these units are typically 19v(though i would order the z-box first, and double check this before ordering a power supply-- i have not seen any sales listings that state that it has a 19v power supply, so can't confirm that)-- so a carnetix power supply should work fine-- where a m1/2/3 will require you to hack the mainboard after the power regulation to allow it to provide the correct 12v,5v,and 3.3v rails..
        Yes, I have confirmed from the product specs found at another retailer. The power brick is indeed 19V. So that puts M2 ATX out of the equation I suppose.

Will I need to use Carnetix now ?

Comment

you need to use something that provides 19v to the box

as far as dc-dc options, a carnetix is going to be the best bet-- but there are 2 models-- you'll need to double check which one fits your needs.

there is also the option of using a inverter, and the included power brick, and then use a external startup/shutdown controller..

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

as far as dc-dc options, a carnetix is going to be the best bet-- but there are 2 models-- you'll need to double check which one fits your needs.
            IŽd also mention to check out the optionally purchased wiring bundles as well, depending.
            2008 Ford Mustang GT/CS CARPC(99%)
            Software: Ride/Road-Runner, Digital FX skin 5.x, iGuidance 2011, GPSgate on Win7 64bit

Comment

you need to use something that provides 19v to the box

there is also the option of using a inverter, and the included power brick, and then use a external startup/shutdown controller..
              Thanks for the carnetix mention. I have read the power utilisation of the Zotac kit, and it peaks about 35 Watt, so I would leave 50 Watts for it, and then add some more for the Lilliput 701 (EDIT: Found it to be about 6-7 Watts), and I will have a proper utilisation figure...

I dont like the invertors, since a) they will occupy a power socket in the car, b) it does not look OEM to me .. I would love to create a stock look...

Have you got any ideas to help me on this ?

Originally posted by Wayne613 View Post
              IŽd also mention to check out the optionally purchased wiring bundles as well, depending.
              I had a look at it, but I will need to purchase the CPU unit before I can be sure if any cable will be compatible or not. Since I am in the UK, this can be an expensive gamble to purchase, in case it does not work out for me!

Comment

Posted something last night, but never got through due to some mod's filtering (?!?) Never mind, I will ask again!

I am not sure about the wirings harnesses, and I suppose I would need to purchase the Zotac ID11 nettop before hand, and then make up my mind regarding the PSU (and the wire harness options, if at all possible).

I am once again stuck today in the dilema of either going for a Dual Core Atom nettop, or a similarly spec'd netbook and sticking either one in the car with a PSU. I was thinking of the benefits of the netbooks, in battery life and power supply terms. That is if I can find a decently priced Dual Core Atom. Otherwise, I will have to make do with the nettop, and customise the PSU myself, or using the harnesses pointed by you there ...

By the way, I have increased my requirements to Dual Core Intel Atom with the nVIDIA ION2 GPU chipset rather than Intel GPU chipset. I believe this will significantly increase the performance of the carputer.

So do you guys think if thats an overkill and should I stick with the Intel GPU ?

Cheers for reading so far.

EDIT: Thanks Mods for letting my post thru now!

Comment

the netbook/nettop is personal preferance-- either can be made to work in-car pretty easily.

the advantage to the netbook is that ebay car-power adapters are less then $10.. it is also removeable from the car for use elsewhere, and hibernate/suspend can be easier to do because you can use the internal battery for it..

the advantage to a nettop is that it can be permenantly installed, possibly in a more hidden spot-- where the netbook might need to be more visible to be removeable..
                  and because it is permenatly installed, can be less trouble some because you are not plugging, and unplugginf things all the time..

while i haven't used it, i think it is better to use a ion chipset over the standard intel chipset--most programs aren't really going to need it, but any program that takes advantage of it can def. help..

next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

Comment

Right, I have decided to get a nettop, Zotac Z-Box HD-ID11, which comes with Dual Core Intel Atom 1.6 and nVidia ION2. I will add 1 or 2GB of RAM (I have got both ready for testing).

Regarding HDD, I have a spare 320GB 2.5" lying around idle. I could use that. Ideally I would want to get a 32GB SSD for OS + Centrafuse + Maps install, and keep the larger HDD for media etc... Any tips there ?

Also, I am probably thinking about getting a Carnetix P1900 PSU, with a relevant wiring harness, if they do one for my nettop. Any suggestions or advice here ?

I already have a Lilliput in a Double Din casemod, so that is all set!

Nettop should arrive today, and if I find some free time this evening, I might actually install the OS just for the feel......

Appreciate your ideas and feedback!

Comment

i believe that all the small pc's like the netbooks/tops have integrated sata connections for the drives, and usually only allow for one drive, so you would need to plan on using a sata-to-usb adapter if you were to have 2 drives.. not a major deal, just a note...

plenty of people do it this way with very little problems-- the major advantage is that you can take the media drive inside, and update the media on it easier then a integrated hdd..

last i looked there really wasn't any harnesses for net-books/tops, but they are easily made, so it should not be too much of a issue..

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

Thanks for the headsup!

Have the nettop in front of me right now, so I am going to do basic hardware and software install on it now, so guage the performance ! I will try and post some piccies as well!

Media HDD can be install via USB enclosure, and I am hapy with that semi-permanent solution, as that gives me loads of flexibility...

I am also looking for a reasonable Amp to fit with this kit... I am only going to use OEM Honda (probably BOSE) speakers for now... Current HU is 52W x 4 ...

Any suggestions on this front?

Comment

note: i wrote the below, and then remembered you never gave your car model/year, so all of this might not work... some cars have a factory amp that uses low voltage inputs-- this type of amp will connect directly to a carpc with minimal problems..

the other type of car uses either a headunit to power the speakers, or a amp that expects high voltage signals to power the speakers-- in this case, you need a aftermarket amp, and it is probably easier to bypass the factory amp..

anyways...

it depends on your budget..

there is the very small "motorcycle amps" on ebay that many members have reported to sound just as good as factory decks, that usually go for around $25-50..

there is also the car audio specific amps that go for $100+(the name brand stuff)...

i prefer the car audio specific amps, though i also use a carpc specifically for audio processing/manipulation, so i am slightly biased...

overall, either solution would get all the speakers working..

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the comment. Hope you have had a good holiday. Mine was not so nice, as I broke my laptop on Xmas eve (a small strip cable connecting my HDD with m/b). Anyway, all is well now, since I managed to get a cable ...

Back to the carputer:
                            I have installed Windows 7, and XP on it, and it looks like a good system for Carputer. I need to work out the power for it now. The power adapter that came with the unit is for 19V, so by the looks of things I need a Carnetix P1900, which gives me 19V on primary and 12V on secondary power circuits, enough to drive my Zotac on 19V and Lilliput 7" monitor on 12V.

Would this be a good match?
                            Is there a better (or cost effective) solution out there for my circumstances?

Regarding the Audio Amp:
                            I drive a 2000 Honda Accord (European Spec). Its got 4 OEM Bose speakers driven by the headunit, currently an after-market Sony Xplod headunit (pumping 52W x 4). The car has also got an OEM Bose sub-woofer built-in, but because of some "funny" HONDA cabling, it can only be activated using the OEM Bose headunit, which I have removed long time ago! So I am not using the woofer at the moment.

Now, I have been told that I need a multi-channel Amp, to power the 4 speakers properly. Is this correct information or do I need a stereo Amp ?

Many thanks for reading...

Comment

The P1900 will definitely take care of your power needs. That's a popular power supply solution. If you are on a budget, you could use the DCDC-USB power supply for the PC, and then connect the Lilliput directly to a 12V source.

If you want to send audio to all four speakers you'll need either two 2-channel amps or one 4-channel amp. You can then use either a 5.1 sound card to send front and rear audio to the amp(s), or you can send just stereo and then split it using Y-cables. At first I used my 5.1 USB sound card, but I ended up just sending stereo output and splitting it at the amp.

You can also get a USB DAC instead of using a USB soundcard or onboard audio. DACs deliver some great sound, and there's a review of one in the car audio board. I'm waiting on mine to arrive, and I'm expecting a better audio experience (I hope anyway). Something else to consider, since you are still in the build stage.
                              1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

Working...
                              X