Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd on switch / aux power on help needed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd on switch / aux power on help needed.

Alright Guys, I have the M3 atx power supply. And I have several questions, Ive tried contacting the seller and no real response or help. And Ive searched here Power on, Turn on, and Aux on and haven't found anything useful to my situation.

Heres how it goes.

RED = Power in
    BLACK = GROUNG
    YELLOW = +12V POWER ON

What I want to do it keep the original case switch but then have a switch in the cab like inside the console. I know you need a special power switch and a regular toggle wont work, so I grabbed a switch from a scrap case.

Heres how I have it wired right now.

[battery] --> Fuse ---> RED
    PSU ---> Ground

[Battery] ---> 2nd fuse box --> Temp Wire ---> Push button switch ---> YELLOW

When I push the switch, nothing happens. Using a tester light I was able to detect that power does pass threw the switch when it is pressed, but the PSU does not signal to power on. There is no jumper on the PSU settings.

Help Please.

you've got the right idea..
    but, i am having trouble understanding what you would like to do with this switch. could you try to describe it a little more?

your power supply will power on when it see's +12v on the yellow line. it will stay powered up as long as there is +12v at the yellow input. as soon as there is 0v, it will initiate the shutdown procedure, or turn off immediately depending on jumper settings.

typically, this switch gets connected to a power source that is only active when the key is turned to the 'ACC', or 'ON' position. i am a huge fan of connecting to the correct wire behind the radio, mostly because the radio harness is the most well documented harness due to so many people swapping out radios.. the other alternative location would be the fuse box..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

In order from top to bottom:
      1. I want a manual switch (not wired to the ignition in the front of the car to turn on / off the car.
      2. Oh I see, I thought the PSU operated as the mobo jumper does for the case switch - where pressing a button sends a quick signal to turn on the psu.
      3. Im planning to wire it into a spare fuse in my fuse box.

Questions:

1. So, if im correct it needs a constant power on the "on" line - this means I need to use a toggle style switch correct?
      2. Does it need minimum 12v or would any power on the line do?
      3. Jumper question 1: My PSU for what ever reason didn't come with a jumper, trying to use standard HDD/CD Drive jumpers seams loose - do you need a special jumper or is this normal?.
      4. Jumper question 2: The guide says 0 jumpers works like normal psu: does this mean that toggle on/off will turn unit on off?

Comment

ah a 'classic'(tear out the radio, and refab the dash just to p***-off the classic car enthusiasts!!!)...

anways... i don't know what the minimum amount of power is allowed on that line. all i know is that it connects to switched car power wire, and 'just works' (i assume that means that it would accept any input voltage from 5v-24v)

link to the manual-- jumper settings are on the second page;
        http://www.mini-itx.com/store/inform...ATX-manual.pdf

note: i use a dsatx, so i might be off on some of the settings..

i believe no jumpers connected is 'dumb' mode, meaning that the pc will not power up until you press the pc's power button..

it sounds like the second part of my last post solved part of your problem, but i'll add to the madness:

in my car, i have installed 2 switches-- one goes between the acc line and the power supply, so when i want the pc to stay off for short trips, i can use that. i also have another switch that will send 12v into the first switch, so i can use the pc when parked. note-- if you decide to do this, just keep in mind that feeding +12v to any acc wire will turn on other devices waiting for that signal as well. if you don't want anything else on, just use a diode, and it will block the power from going to the other devices.

i also have 2 momentary switches for power and reset up front as well, but used a rj-11 jack and connectors for those that apparently don't like the car environment, and don't work very well...

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
          ah a 'classic'(tear out the radio, and refab the dash just to p***-off the classic car enthusiasts!!!)...
          Ehhh more or less, I actually fabbed up a console below the dash with the screen in it and ran it to aux in in a "classic fit" radio. It works for me.

I think you probally answered my questions pretty well except finding the proper jumper. Im going to try and get a friend to help wire it in, hes a bit better at this stuff then I am, and I would really like to run the 2nd switch to just cut power and have it on at the ignition on. Well see how that goes when i ask him.....

But yeah so think i need to find a jumper that fits....

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by raggedrebel92 View Post
            I think you probally answered my questions pretty well except finding the proper switch. Im going to try and get a friend to help wire it in, hes a bit better at this stuff then I am, and I would really like to run the 2nd switch to just cut power and have it on at the ignition on. Well see how that goes when i ask him....

that's what i forgot to add-- the yellow wire takes a very low current(i estimate it to be around 150 mA, but definitely under 0.5 amps..). virtually all but super small switches will be able to handle the power--so pretty much any automotive switch, or a switch that requires you to drill a hole to put it in will be fine..

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

Alright for the sake of testing. I set up everything, ran the wire and just directly wired it to the fuse (30amp). After switching out about 3 jumpers the mobo light died. I went to the cab, plugged in the fuse and the PSU pulsed, mobo came on, and .... nothing.

The PSU didnt send the boot signal to the mobo. Im using intel d510mo. I dont think theres a bios setting im missing, but figure ill ask.

Any one have an idea why its not sendint the boot signal?

http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...O-overview.htm

Edit: Ok. So I changed "power failure action" from do nothing to power on. So im pretty sure that did it. But if anyone else knows some trick then please tell. But Im almost sure ive got it now.
              Thank you for your help

Comment

Working...
              X