need some basic info.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some basic info.

All right, so i bought an 1999 E36 M3 and i have been considering building a touch screen for a car for about 8+ months now and i figure since my car has a terrible on board pc that it would make a great car to do it to. so on with the questions:
    I dont know anything about the I-BUS on an '99 e36 does anyone have any insight on that?

i want to build a pc for it that has the functionality to play music with a gui, to do radio, control my climate controls, monitor outside temp/range/gallons left/etc, well and alot more; but where should i start, what are good places to look for parts, has anyone done a project like this, tips, heads ups, any info at all?

what about working RFID into the setup?

how do systems strain on batteries?

Im sure ill have more...

thanks so much in advance.

Start with the FAQs. There's a link in my signature.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by vollosso View Post
      what about working RFID into the setup?

how do systems strain on batteries?

Im sure ill have more...

thanks so much in advance.
      the FAQ's will answer a lot of the generic questions(power/connections/etc..) but searching will also prove to be very fruitful to locating a answer..

RFID; at this time useless. it requires a pc to be on all the time, and any standard carpc is too power hungry to do this-- most will drain a full battery in around 6-7 hours. the good thing is that tripzero is working on toying with a always-on pc([insert name of project] worklog-- just search for that thread) that could resolve that, but it brings a whole new set of low-powered-ness needs to the table..

power requirements: unless you are running the pc for very long times with the engine off, or have a huge setup(search for one of hijacks build logs ), this is not a issue.. most setups are similar to small audio amps-- less then 10Amp draw..
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
      X