Newbe here!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbe here!

Hello all. I just wanted to introduce myself and say how glad I am that there are sites like this... I'm an active contributor in a car forum for people like Chrysler 300s. I have some programming background but very little hardware knowledge. I wrote a program that reads messages from the CAN bus and acts as a Virtual Transmission Controller (actually more like an extension to the Manual shift mode the the OEM TCM). I call it the VTCM... I would run the program from my PC sitting on the passenger seat of the car and it would shift the car in manual mode using two optical switches driven from the parallel port... Anyway, I sort of gave up on the effort because I could not see where it was going... Then I thought, "Hey for a bunch of reasons it would be cool to have a car PC..." So here I am... I look forward to getting to know some people here and to learn some new things in the process.

Some things about me... I'm older, love to mess with stuff in my car, tinker in basic electronics, love to figure out how to make something work but often break it in the process. Take pride in being helpful when I can, and I'm incredably cheep so you'll see me spouting of the dumbest ideas around LOL...

So for my first question... Is Roadrunner, or is it RideRunner?, still available as freeware? If so, where can I get it?

Cheers!

---

Originally posted by trs300 View Post
    ...So for my first question... Is Roadrunner, or is it RideRunner?, still available as freeware? If so, where can I get it?...

welcome!!

technically they changed it to RideRunner, though it is well known enough that if you say roadrunner, everyone knows what your talking about..

and yes, it is still available for free. though the DFX 5 skin requires a $10 'donation' if you can't put up with the nag screen..

the best place is nisu automotive-- the commercial company that came together to promote rr in commercial products..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Thanks soundman98! Igot the download. I can just install this on my laptop to get a feel for it right?

What's this skin stuff about? Can you mak you own U.I style or do you need to use existing skin styles?

--

Comment

you can install it anywhere you like!!

i can't help you too much with the skin layouts/designs, i am just using unmodified versions of DFX 4 and DFX 5. mostly waiting for a decent release of Open Mobile..
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
          you can install it anywhere you like!!

i can't help you too much with the skin layouts/designs, i am just using unmodified versions of DFX 4 and DFX 5. mostly waiting for a decent release of Open Mobile..
          Thanks man... I've got it installed and I'm poking around in it... At some point I'll be looking for an example of how to make moves in road runner from another app...

For example. If I have a C#.net app that's monitoring the CAN-B bus on my car... and in that app it senses me clicking the Track Forward button on my steering wheel, how do I trigger the ride runner track forward event? (like as if I clicked the button myself?)

I'll be looking for those kinds of examples...

--

Comment

Working...
          X