please review my potential setup.. and maybe put me in check

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please review my potential setup.. and maybe put me in check

Alright been reading for a long time. doing lots of research here and there. Any way I work with computers for a living so this is nothing new.. but integrating this into my car is a new concept. So I've been putting a list together for my project and was wondering if you guys could review it.. By the way.. I have a habit of going on the overkill side. (THIS is what I need to be checked on.. if this is TOO much i would definatly appreciate saving a couple bucks)

Anyway just for referance here's my goals for this system:
    1. Vehicle Tuning (Using openport 2.0 for OBD reading along w/ ECUflash)
    2. Data logging.
    3. Gauge disaply (actually this is technically #1)
    4. GPS navigation
    5. internet radio (currently thinking of tethering my iphone to use pandora)
    6. the ability to add another display to the back for kids to watch videos on. AND/OR watch on the main display.
    7. The usual stuff that dealership nav systems do.

Software:
    general idea is to run an xp/win7 backend w/ centrafuse front end.

Hardware: (THIS is where I need ya'lls help)

CPU: Intel core 2 duo E8400 ****UPDATED to E7200**** (save myself 50$)
    MoBo: Zotac GF9300-G-E LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300
    Memory: 2x2GB A-Data PC2 6400
    Case: Black Box Mobil Case from Mo-Co-So
    PSU: M3-ATX automotive Pico
    Media Reader: Slot load CD/DVD from Mo-Co-So

GPS: SiRF III GPS Receiver

Display: lilliput 669GL-70NP/C/T/HB

Accessoriers: Joycon EX Steering wheel interface

This is all going into a 2010 Mitsu EVO X. dashmounted double din w/ a scoshe kit.

Would appreciate ANY thoughts/suggestions/criticisim as long as its constructive and not
    Any input on additional stuff I maybe missing or comments on how to achieve any of my above objectives. Thanks.
    Last edited by Stephen Alltop; 02-21-2011, 06:24 PM.

looks like a adequate setup..

4gb is a little overkill, 2gb would work fine..
    and you'll need to double check the space clearances in the case-- i don't believe the stock cpu cooler will work. i use a silverstone low profile one-- this one, and it seems to work just fine..

i am not crazy on powering higher power cpu's with any of the m1-3 series power supplies, but others claim they are fine..(i really like my dsatx, or would also recommend the m4)
    Last edited by soundman98; 02-21-2011, 04:19 PM.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
      looks like a adequate setup..

4gb is a little overkill, 2gb would work fine..
      and you'll need to double check the space clearances in the case-- i don't believe the stock cpu cooler will work. i use a silverstone low profile one-- this one, and it seems to work just fine..

i am not crazy on powering higher power cpu's with any of the m1-3 series power supplies, but others claim they are fine..(i really like my dsatx, or would also recommend the m4)
      Thanks for the points Soundman, I hadn't even though about the cpu cooler fitting, but makes total sense, I looked at the silverstone looks like a good option and decent price.

4gb vs 2gb.. was saving me maybe 5-10$ so one of those "why not things" plus I plan on doing engine tuning in my Evo X so the 4gb won't be hurting (I hope)

I looked at the m4, but I really can't believe I'll be pulling that much power, and I've been hearing mixed reviews on it. I'll have to research further, I'll update this is I decide one way or the other. if anyone has more input on the PSU that would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

May want to look into this.

I used this dual core atom board.
        ZOTAC IONITX-L-E Intel Atom 330 (1.6GHz, dual-core) PBGA437 NVIDIA ION Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813500052

Low power/heat/fanless and small
        Built in wireless N card
        Nvidia chipset which allows me to utalize codecs like CoreAVC (cuda) or MPC Home Cinema (dxva) to offload high definitioin video decoding to the gpu instead of the cpu. Hence I dont need a bad *** processor to watch 1080p content.

I would also recommend a solid state drive in there for the os.
        Last edited by agentq; 02-22-2011, 09:38 AM.
        My CarPC Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR

Comment

Save yourself the headaches and go with a beefier PSU or a less power-hungry mobo/CPU/video setup.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
            Save yourself the headaches and go with a beefier PSU or a less power-hungry mobo/CPU/video setup.
            Beefier then... the m3 or the m4? can't go much beefier then the m4 w/o hitting the $$$

Comment

Originally posted by agentq View Post
              May want to look into this.

I used this dual core atom board.
              ZOTAC IONITX-L-E Intel Atom 330 (1.6GHz, dual-core) PBGA437 NVIDIA ION Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813500052

Low power/heat/fanless and small
              Built in wireless N card
              Nvidia chipset which allows me to utalize codecs like CoreAVC (cuda) or MPC Home Cinema (dxva) to offload high definitioin video decoding to the gpu instead of the cpu. Hence I dont need a bad *** processor to watch 1080p content.

I would also recommend a solid state drive in there for the os.
              check the zotac 9300 board he is interested in it has intel geforce 9300 graphics..

and i didn't realize it until searching, but that is the exact same board i am running now-- it works great, the only complaint i have is the cryptic bios (i am a asus fan)

but, if you are interested in spending money, a ssd will def. help make for a better carpc experience(but the bios on this board isn't the fastest..)
              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
              X