MP3Car Head unit help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP3Car Head unit help

Ok I am new to the MP3 car scene but have done quite a bit of searching. However I may not be searching the right stuff.

I want to put a computer in my car. I also still want the capability to use FM radio or XM if needed.

The only head unit that I have found that will allow you to combine the FM radio and the car computer is the Xenarc MDT X7000 which is no longer available.

Does anyone know of a head unit that will provide the same feature so that I do not have to get a seperate monitor for the car computer.

I want to use one system not too.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Josh

Welcome to mp3car! The MDT X7000 was a piece of crap in my opinion. Way too many issues for the price you paid for it. I don't know of any head units that provide a screen and touch input for a PC. You can however get an external serially controlled FM or XM radio. The Directed or Visteon HD radios are a bit hard to find, but they're fairly good units that provide FM as well as HD radio. The mp3car store also sells a few serially controlled radios. Most of the popular frontends provide graphical interfaces for these radios, completely eliminating the need for a head unit for radio.

The only thing you will need is an amplifier for the rest of your speakers, but that's no more difficult than installing a carpc.
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Comment

so with that being said then I can actually use any head unit with a vga port....

any suggestions besides lilliput or xenarc??

Comment

there really aren't any other ones... technically, there are a couple of other brands, but all motorized screens seem to suffer similar problems, and at this time, i could not in good faith recommend any of them for consistent use...

both the lilliput models, and revosys models claim to have replaced the crummy--easily worn-- plastic gear-sets with metal gear versions, but i have not seen any reviews on them so can't say if they would hold up better then they used to.

and the zenarc screens still seem to have problems with the the video ribbon cable breaking after display movement in/out cycles..

if fm, and xm are important to you, i would recommend a standard head unit with a auxilary input to connect with the carpc-- this way, you can have both without requiring the carpc to be on. there are interfaces for both to get controlled through a carpc though if your so-inclined..
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

So there is a way to use the aux connection to get video for the car pc??

The only reason I am trying to get fm is because this is my daily driver, and I really don't feel like listening to the same MP3s over and over again.

The carpc is for car shows that I go to and for visual affect.

If I can use a standard touchscreen head unit and connect the pc using the aux port then that would be perfect. I don't mind manually turning on the pc if I have to. I am sure I can wire up some kind of a switch or something to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by TXswoldier View Post
            So there is a way to use the aux connection to get video for the car pc??
            Video, yes. Touch control, no.

The only reason I am trying to get fm is because this is my daily driver, and I really don't feel like listening to the same MP3s over and over again.
            A network connection allows you to freshen up the music on the PC in your ride as often as you want... WiFi is awesome for that.

The carpc is for car shows that I go to and for visual affect.
            If you use a headunit screen, it will be low-res. Expect the video quality to be sub-par.

If I can use a standard touchscreen head unit and connect the pc using the aux port then that would be perfect. I don't mind manually turning on the pc if I have to. I am sure I can wire up some kind of a switch or something to do that.
            It's not a matter of automatic turn-on. The screen has nothing to do with that functionality.

I think you would be well-served by making a trip into the Wiki and/or the FAQs and reading about what you want to accomplish.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

^darque summed it up (and i have to ask-- when are we going to be back to normal circumstances?)

and most people at car shows don't care about carpc's. i have been to a couple car shows, and everyone looks at wheels, and accessories, they don't care if there is a windows OS in the dash-- i was just at World of Wheels this weekend-- and there was a custom car with a keyboard sitting on the console for his carpc-- everyone was asking what kind of person needs a keyboard in the car, and was more impressed with the mid-engine layout of the car...

just saying, if that is the only reason for it, it's not a very decent one imo.

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                and i have to ask-- when are we going to be back to normal circumstances?
                We install PCs in cars, and you expect normal circumstances?
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

ah, but 'normal' is defined by what usually happens-- i would consider abnormal circumstances everything working, and no-one having problems!!

next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                  X