No announcement yet.

Using a stripped laptop.... Sorry for previous spam... feel free to abuse!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a stripped laptop.... Sorry for previous spam... feel free to abuse!

Sorry for all the rubbish i seem to have left... i blame tapatalk... and sorry to the other guys post i seem to have retitled somehow...

also as i delete all t'other posts i have restarted again below... sorry!!

Hi Chaps...

I've got an old laptop i'm interested in turning into a car pc... I haven't had a good rummage round the forums yet so if there's any answers to my q's then please point me in the right place!!

I haven't decided what level of car pc i want yet... I remember seeing somewhere a guy had made a flac player with an lcd screen... am tempted by that but not sure if i want any other extra's...

What I plan to do is to put the carpc in the boot (trunk if you're in the US! ;p) and run the cables to the front and have a sata hotswap type thing in the normal car radio slot so it's removeable and also have some kind of removable faceplate... OR make it so that the lcd panel power/volume buttons/cd drive are integrated and put the sata swap drive in the glove box so I can remove it at any time...

I wanted to use the laptop battery for start up / shut down and just use the car power for charging.... is that possible? or would that just be a case of using an inverter for that?

uuuummm..... what sort of cheapy basic amp would i need? i.e. specs and i can look for one around that...

i think that's it for now... any other questions are software related so will post in that section for that!

Ta Peeps!

check the faq's(link on the top of the main page), and the laptop section-- both areas will cover your questions in detail.

for the 'cheapy amp' ebay has some very small amps-- usually called motorcycle amps that do the job. for simplicity, i recommend locating one with 4 channels for a easier time connecting it to your speakers. also has some very small amps-- by a company called "sure electronics" that would also fit the bill..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

would this be enough for an amp to start with? obviously if the volumes need to increase then the amp will need to be louder but as it's cheap... and i found a cheaper second hand one!

I managed to buy a Phillips DAP-600 for £10 today... muahahahahaha!!! that'll do nicely!