Having a power on issue with accessory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a power on issue with accessory

I finally found time to hook up my carpc today. I am having an issue with the powering though. I have a wiring diagram for my car and tried to connect the white wire up to numerous accessories. No luck with any of the wiring spots. I even tried to go before and after the ignition in the diagram. I did connect it to a constantly hot wire in the dash but this gives me a powering problem It will drain my battery obviously. I tried to configure the XP settings to allow me to wake the PC from the touchscreen which worked, but isnít convenient and not the power consumption im looking for.

My biggest concern is my alarm will not arm if the PC is not off or hibernating so right now im just shutting it down.

Any ideas on what I can do or what I missed or what Iím doing wrong?

Car: 2009 Mazda 6
    PC: Pre Bult Dual Core 1.8Ghz Dual Core Atom 525 Carputer

Attached the wiring diagram. Right now im just off the yellow wire (Batt+) on the Metra adapter which is a constant connecting to red/blue factory code.
    Attached Files

Hello, a few questions for clarification:

What white wire are you trying to connect? I'm assuming the white wire out of that pre-built carpc? is this supposed to be the ignition input to the carpc? If so, what do you mean "no luck". Is the car not turning on and off with the ignition? Have you verified that the wire you are hooking to is definitely switching on and off with the ignition? (Check with a multimeter or a test-light).

What jumper setting do you have the M2ATX set to? You said that if you connect it to a hot wire, it works fine, does this mean it operates as expected (boots up after a few seconds, then shuts down after you remove that wire from power)?
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Comment

Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
      What white wire are you trying to connect? I'm assuming the white wire out of that pre-built carpc?
      Yes it is a pre-built car-pc. You're correct the white wire is the ignition input.

what do you mean "no luck". Is the car not turning on and off with the ignition? Have you verified that the wire you are hooking to is definitely switching on and off with the ignition? (Check with a multimeter or a test-light).
      Yes I have checked with a multimeter and it is getting power when in acc or on, but not when off.

What jumper setting do you have the M2ATX set to? You said that if you connect it to a hot wire, it works fine, does this mean it operates as expected (boots up after a few seconds, then shuts down after you remove that wire from power)?
      The jumper is set to a 30 second delay. The remote wire also delays 30 seconds for the amp to avoid popping from the windows startup sounds.

Comment

i'm still having trouble understanding what the problem is--the acc wire is not triggering the pc to shutdown/hibernate(action varies depending on your OS settings)?
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Here is the install instructions:

Red Wire Ė Your constant power should be taken directly from the
          battery or from an auxiliary fuse location with a minimum of 15A of
          dedicated power.

White Wireó Accessory or ignition wire

Black Wireó This is the ground wire.

Blue Wireó This is the remote on wire. Connect this line to your amps
          remote on input, if you are using an amp. This line will be on a five
          second delay to prevent popping from the speakers while Windows
          loads.

(Yellow & Green for Optical Drive)

So when wired what would happen is upon power on of the vehicle it would start or come out of hibernation. When I turn off the car via the ignition it hibernates depending on my cars battery voltage, the amount of time the car has been off, or what jumper setting I have set on the motherboard. Right now it is set to 30 second delay on, 2 hour delay off. This gives my car time ot sync with my home network for music.

The white wire is the controlling factor there. When I try to connect the white wire to an accessory it will not power. When I connect it to a constant hot it does power on as it should. The problem being this constantly draws power never shutting down or hibernating the PC properly.

So the recap when the white acc wire is connected to an acc wire in the car, it does not power on. When it is connected to a constant it does. All acc wires have been tested with a multimeter and they are working. That is the entire problem.

Comment

Here is the manual if interested.

Page 5 is the wiring.
            Page 23 is the jumper settings.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by cnewman402; 05-27-2011, 06:07 AM.

Comment

ok, i'm still confused, but not about your description..

there should not be any reason that the white wire should work when connected to a constant +12v wire, and not work with a switched +12v wire...

where are you getting the switched +12v signal from? i assume from the diagram you first posted that you connected to the orange wire behind the radio?

the only thing that i can think is that the circuit that your connecting to cannot supply enough power to turn on the power supply, but that doesn't make sense, because the switched input on the power supply should not require any more then 250mA(i believe most models average about 100mA current draw). most car circuits have ratings of at least 1amp--in your case, it appears that the orange wire is for the power mirrors as well, and is rated for 5A, which should be plenty for this...
              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

I tried the orange and the cig lighter. Neither of them would work. I may do what the manual suggests and simulate a power on off with a toggle switch.

Comment

Working...
                X