Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subaru Newbie - Alternative way to shut Car PC down

Subaru Newbie - Alternative way to shut Car PC down

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone, I've just built a car PC and everything seems to be working so far. These are the products I have used:

Gigabyte GA-D525 Mini ITX motherboard with Intel Atom dual core 1.8ghz
    * 4GB ram Kingston
    * 500GB Seagate 2.5" HDD
    * M2 power supply Mini-ITX M2 Car PC DC-DC 160W 8V-28V ATX Power PSU 12V
    * Micro ATX PC Car Chassis case
    * Lilliput 7" 669 GL-70NP/C/T-H HDMI ultra bright 450cd/㎡ touch screen

* Globalsat BU-353 USB GPS Receiver SIRF III
    * 4 port USB hub (powered)
    * Tactrix 2.0 cable

Software:

* Windows 7
    * Centrafuse 3.6

However, I am looking for a way to turn the PC off as soon as I turn the motor off (without having to manually put it into sleep mode while the car is running). I've purchased an MpegBox uSDC20D micro shutdown controller but I don't know if it is going to solve my problem. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can do this? Also how much power does the PC draw when it sleeps

Cheers George.............. NEWBIE
    Attached Files

why don't you use the m2 shutdown controller, and configure windows to enter sleep mode on the power button press?
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

This is still all new to me as computers are not my strong point

Comment

Originally posted by SUB-1 View Post
        This is still all new to me as computers are not my strong point
        may not have been the best project to tackle then.
        nah man i'm kidding. luckily you're at a great forum with alot of helpful people.

your m2 can handle the startup and shut down process without the need of anything else. and i don't recommend setting the system to sleep unless you have a really good battery or a dual battery setup. i know most laptops are only supposed to use <= 1.7watts. i have no numbers or anything, but i'd say carpc's would be right around that as well. some batteries just can't handle that draw after a couple days - which is why the PSU's have a hard off after X seconds setting

this link will tell you how much your system is drawing:
        http://www.antec.outervision.com/

glance through this:
        http://www.mp3car.com/products/Power...ATX-manual.pdf
        Last edited by sk8rjess; 06-10-2011, 07:55 AM.
        they call me hack
        Independence Auto Tech
        http://ctxdesigns.com - web design :)
        "Let us search out and examine out ways, and turn back to the Lord; Let us lift our hearts and hands to God in heaven." - lamentations 3:40-41

Comment

Thanks guys, I will look at that. I think that my installer has used the J1 wire lead and hooked it up to the cigarette plug for a power source. This might be my problem.
          Cheers George

Comment

Originally posted by sk8rjess View Post
            may not have been the best project to tackle then.
            nah man i'm kidding. luckily you're at a great forum with alot of helpful people.

your m2 can handle the startup and shut down process without the need of anything else. and i don't recommend setting the system to sleep unless you have a really good battery or a dual battery setup. i know most laptops are only supposed to use <= 1.7watts. i have no numbers or anything, but i'd say carpc's would be right around that as well. some batteries just can't handle that draw after a couple days - which is why the PSU's have a hard off after X seconds setting

this link will tell you how much your system is drawing:
            http://www.antec.outervision.com/

glance through this:
            http://www.mp3car.com/products/Power...ATX-manual.pdf
            Thanks guy will look at the power supply hook up,I have a feeling that the installer has used the J1 lead and drawn power from the cigarette plug as power source.This might be my problem DO YOU THINK.

Comment

Thanks guy will look at the power supply hook up,I have a feeling that the installer has used the J1 lead and drawn power from the cigarette plug as power source.This might be my problem DO YOU THINK.
              WHOA. if he did, you def need to redo it. it needs a dedicated power wire coming from the battery.
              they call me hack
              Independence Auto Tech
              http://ctxdesigns.com - web design :)
              "Let us search out and examine out ways, and turn back to the Lord; Let us lift our hearts and hands to God in heaven." - lamentations 3:40-41

Comment

Thanks sk8rjess have just called the installer he got a little ****ed, but he will fix it. Now if I keep on useing it for the time being untill I fix it will it do any type of damage.
                Cheers George
                Last edited by SUB-1; 06-11-2011, 07:30 AM.

Comment

hold on-- don't just go plugging/unplugging wires without knowing what they are supposed to do.

J1: this gets connected via a fused wire, directly to the battery, and should always have +12v on it.
                  J3: this gets connected to a wire that only has +12v when the ignition is turned to 'on' or 'run'
                  J4: this gets connected to a good chassis ground-- usually bolted to the car body.

if any of these aren't setup this way, take it back to get corrected.

also,
                  J8: this little 2 wire jumper is connected to the 'power button' connections on the motherboard.

J10: the jumpers you install here define how long the pc takes to shutdown when you exit the car.

next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by sk8rjess View Post
                    WHOA. if he did, you def need to redo it. it needs a dedicated power wire coming from the battery.
                    Thanks sk8rjess have just called the installer he got a little ****ed, but will he will fix it. Now if I keep on useing it for the time being untill I fix it will it do any type of damage.
                    Cheers George

Comment

it's really hard to know without seeing the car in person. in most cases, no you won't. but murphies law says otherwise..

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

Will try and re-wire it myself over the next few days,with the a ATX power supply which setting is the best
                        Attached Files

Comment

i would be fine with mode '1', but it is all personal preferance..

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

Will try and re-wire it myself over the next few days,with the a ATX power supply which setting is the best

Hi guys, I have just spent all afternoon rewiring the car PC. I have placed an 8 gauge positive wire directly to the car battery with an inline fuse. I then put a new 8 gauge positive wire to the body of the car. I also have run a new wire into the fuse box to obtain accessory power. I opted for option one for the power output connectors on the M2 ATX power supply and I have also run an additional on/off button from the PC into the side console. If I don't put my computer into hibernation mode (with the power settings) when I turn the car off, it shuts off normally but when I start the car, it doesn't resume from where I turned it off. Instead, the computer reboots like its power has been interrupted. However, if I do press the on/off switch and put it into hibernation mode before turning the car off, everything works as it should. Is this normal?Sorry for silly questions
                            Cheers George

Comment

I have placed an 8 gauge positive wire directly to the car battery with an inline fuse. I then put a new 8 gauge positive wire to the body of the ca
                              i assume you mean you connected a 8 ga negative wire to the car chassis-- otherwise, it would be a dead short

mode 1 might not be enough for the pc to save the hibernate file--after 45sec, the psu turns off completely, reguardless of what the pc is doing.. a easy way to test this would be to try mode 2, or 3, and see if the psu will correctly trigger, and maintain the hibernate.

next project? subaru brz
                              carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                              X