help on possible setups

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help on possible setups

i would like to do a carputer, but its been a while since i have built a computer of any kind. i have done quite a few audio installs in cars, so i do know my way around cars. i would like to do music, fm radio, gps, obd stuff and later on movies and what not.

i have a gateway lt21 series netbook that i just replaced with a newer one, i was thinking about using this as the setup and slowly build a dedicated pc. the other option would to just build the pc. would the netbook be able to handle all this stuff or should i build a pc.

for fm tuning dab is the best to use right? would i be able to use this on my netbook or is this a pc setup only.

gps i heard really depends on the software, how does it compare to like tomtom, garmin or to car manufacture setups?

i can't answer the fm question, i don't use it..

i also don't use gps, but have seen plenty of complaints about it. the maps are usually old, and lack current road updates.. i use one of the cheap external gps's...

for staying on the cheap, the netbook will work. i am sure your already familiar that it is not the fastest pc around, so a custom built pc might be faster, but also more expensive...

also, be sure to double check the power adapter needed-- i believe it is mostly the older laptops, but some models need a charger that sends a digital signal that tells the pc it is allowed to charge--you can tell this by looking at the charger plug-- if it has more then 2 connections. if you have that, it can make the install a little more complicated.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Netbooks do ok, from personal experience I had one for a little bit. I got fed up with it though since it became a chore trying to integrate the 'push' button for turning on/off and charging. I ended up with building a pc earlier than I wanted to, but just as you, I had the netbook laying around.

If you want to do it simple, an inverter (preferably hooked up via battery with fuse and relay) and your normal netbook charger would suffice. Though you might get a buzz in the audio. If you don't have a WOL feature and you want to mount it where you can't reach normally from your seat, you're gonna have to open it up and find the pins for the power button to short together.

Again, personal experience, but it cause a much bigger headache for me than just building the one I wanted and doing it right the first time. I spent a lot on inverters/chargers and tons of time. If you need help with doing some of the netbook stuff, let us know .
      Current Worklog: TBA - '05 Rav4 (Mobo Dead).
      www.rav4world.com - Forums for Rav4 owners
      www.flavorfeasts.com - Cooking website/forums
      -Basic forums live atm, come contribute!

Comment

there are also a lot of car chargers on ebay for netbooks-- you still need to mess with the power button, but a little easier then a inverter setup-- assuming they have one for your model netbook.

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

I agree with the other replies. Check out my previous project in my signature regarding my 2005 Altima. I started with an EEEPC and modified the RJ-11 port by connecting it to the momentary switch on the motherboard. Then I soldered an external momentary switch to an regular phone cable which then plugged into the RJ-11 port on the Netbook. I just push the button and it turns the Netbook on. I mounted the momentary button on my lower center console. It was fun and simple for a quick solution...I just took my EEEPC inside when I got out the car and charged when needed.

In my opinion, you may look into a tablet mount because you will have all of what you are wanting to do. GPS, Internet, Movies, Music...plus they can easily be powered/charged via USB/ hardwired to car. You can use bluetooth integrations for music eliminating unnecessary cabling...plus you have the ultimate portability. There are many solutions in the forum here . You can also take a look at my new project in my signature regarding how I decided to mount my tablet. I've been very satisfied and happy with it.
          "Live Free!!!...It's all about Open Source"
          Recent Proj
          Old Proj II
          Old Proj I
          YouTube:Project Videos
          Homepage: HexxWorld.net
          Twitter:http://twitter.com/hexxamillion

Comment

thanks for all the help and info, it was exactly what i was looking for. i think i will just go ahead and build the pc and use the netbook as a back up system. i do have a question about how everyone mounts their touch screens. i am putting this in a e39 bmw, i plan on ordering the double din kit from metra, i know that someone does sell a kit online but it is over a $100. i notice that when people mount their screens, some people dissemble them from the case, some people integrate the controls into their dash somehow others just leave it alone. are those buttons important at all? for the people that use double din kits, is it easy to mount the screen on to the kit? i know that a lot of people are using lilliput and xertec, is one better than the other or are they comparable to each other. my issue would be the potential for glaring.

tablets are a lil out of my price range and i would like to be able to possible upgrade parts later on.

Comment

thanks for all the help, it was exactly what i was looking for. i think that i will now start working on building a pc. i did have a question though having to deal with the lcd screen, i will be in stalling the setup in an bmw e39. i already purchased a double din pocket from metra for the project, i know that there is someone that sells them online for the lcd screen installs but they are in the $100 range. i noticed that some people dissemble their screen before they install it, is it necessary to use the buttons also that are below the screen? i know that some people integrate them back into the setup and others dont. also it seems that the main brand to use is lilliput and xerxac (sp), from the older worklogs, is there any new brands out there or are these the two major brands that offer the best quality?

Comment

Those are the two most popular brands, lilliput and xenarc I think. I've only used 2 different lilliputs, each about $100 - $150 a piece. If you're concerned about glaring, transflective screens are the way to go, but if tablets are out of your price range, so are the transflectives. Most discussions range them $500 on low end I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I've noticed a good number of people use bybyte (sp?) kits, and don't they have some offerings with touchscreens mounted already? As for the buttons, rarely used if you get one that has auto on and auto switching (if you want a reverse cam). They also normally come with remotes. Check out some threads in the fabrication, I've seen some good custom work for mounting screens too.

One important piece of info, stay away from the screens that are usb only, make sure it has either hdmi, vga, or dvi.
                Current Worklog: TBA - '05 Rav4 (Mobo Dead).
                www.rav4world.com - Forums for Rav4 owners
                www.flavorfeasts.com - Cooking website/forums
                -Basic forums live atm, come contribute!

Comment

I agree. You can at least look into an LED backlit which can provide some decent view in sunlight and not as expensive as the transflective.
                  "Live Free!!!...It's all about Open Source"
                  Recent Proj
                  Old Proj II
                  Old Proj I
                  YouTube:Project Videos
                  Homepage: HexxWorld.net
                  Twitter:http://twitter.com/hexxamillion

Comment

Originally posted by detlion1643 View Post
                    Those are the two most popular brands, lilliput and xenarc I think. I've only used 2 different lilliputs, each about $100 - $150 a piece. If you're concerned about glaring, transflective screens are the way to go, but if tablets are out of your price range, so are the transflectives. Most discussions range them $500 on low end I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I've noticed a good number of people use bybyte (sp?) kits, and don't they have some offerings with touchscreens mounted already? As for the buttons, rarely used if you get one that has auto on and auto switching (if you want a reverse cam). They also normally come with remotes. Check out some threads in the fabrication, I've seen some good custom work for mounting screens too.

One important piece of info, stay away from the screens that are usb only, make sure it has either hdmi, vga, or dvi.
                    +1

if you get lucky, some companies screw up occasionally on the model they send out for the TR treatment, and you can get one for really cheap(i gone one for $300 once)..

next project? subaru brz
                    carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                    X