Need help with computer for silverado pickup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with computer for silverado pickup

I am new to these forums but have lots of experience with modding computers, and I want to install a computer in my new truck. I would like to have a retractable touch screen and have it mount in the factory stereo pocket. It would be great if there was a car dvd player I could interface with the computer to make it easier but like I said I am new and have the foggiest ideas on what is available for a carputer. Any ideas or guidance would be apreciated.

welcome!

i take it this is for a older 80's-90's silverado?(i believe they did a major dash update after 2000--that allowed for 2din radio's).. my dad had a 91...

i do not feel comfortable recommending any computer-compatible motorized displays-- since the last reviews, lilliput updated their model to use metal gears-- the previous models had plastic gears that stripped from use(so it is quite possible the new model will last, but @ ), but other companies have had motorized models and all have had problems within a couple years of use. motorized screens really haven't been used or recommended around here for the last 3-4 years now because of all the large quality downfalls.

on the plus side, all the vga compatible screens i can think of also have at least 1 composite input-- the type of input that a standard car dvd player uses, so it should be perfectly possible to have both a carpc and a separate dvd player(though, why not use a dvd drive in the carpc, and just play the movies through the carpc?).

otherwise, just be sure to look around (check out 4ofakind's mid 90's build in the worklogs section!). i can almost guarantee that nearly every idea you can come up with, and then some has been discussed and built in one form or another, and if not, i want to see what you can come up with!!
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

It is a 2007 silverodo, it has the large factory head unit. I wanted to use the display of a aftermarket head unit so i could still have radio and xfm. I am really new to this stuff and i am having a hard time with filtering through all my options. Just wanted to get some direction as to what to investigate further. I mean is it posible to get a radio tuner card for a car pc i have a tv tuner in my htpc. The reason I wanted a moterized touchpanel was for theft protection but I guess if someone is gonna steal it it won't matter if it is retracted.

Comment

they do have am/fm tuners, though i don't use them so i don't know all the options.

if you install a screen in the radio area, it should look good enough that a thief might think it is a factory navigation screen, or a really cheap radio, and not bother. on the plus side, he would only be stealing a screen, and not a $2,000 head unit.

for instance, most use a screen bezel from bybyte.com that bolts to the dash, this is how mine looks:

My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
        X