Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi I'm new to the carputer world. Introducing myself and seeking sound card advice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi I'm new to the carputer world. Introducing myself and seeking sound card advice.

Hi, I'm new to the site.

I am RedVertTA on ls1tech.com and ls1.com as well. I drive a 2000 Trans Am convertible, red with white convertible top and white racing stripes.

Interior at night:

Mods:

Engine/Fuel System:

FAST 90mm intake manifold and 90mm throttle body
    Kooks 1 3/4 stainless long tube headers with jet hot ceramic coating
    American racing 3 inch y pipe
    Magnaflow catalytic converters
    Flowmaster 80 series muffler and catback
    Flowtech cutout with DMH electric cutout val
    SLP airlid
    K & N Filter
    SLP Smooth below
    Racetronix 255 fuel pump
    Dyno tune

Car puts down 343 horsepower at the rear wheel

Suspension:

BMR Convertible subframe connectors
    Bilstein HD shocks and struts
    Fully boxed rear control arms
    UMI front and rear swaybars

Exterior:

Stock other than stripes, checkered fenders and painted calipers

Interior and electronics:

Interior footwell neons
    Fully heat insulated and sound deadened interior using edead 80
    Pioneer N4 head unit, has satallite radio, navigation and ipod connection options
    Orion Cobalt 600.4 amplifier
    Pair of Pioneer D Series TS-D1720C 6 3/4 in. component speaker sets in the front
    Pair of Pioneer A Series TS-A1672R 6 1/2 in. speakers in the rear

I have plans to add a 6.5 in. Kicker CompVT subwoofer and a Cobalt 500.1 or Cobalt 600.2 amplifier.

I'm primarily here to learn more about carputers and seek help in building my own.

I would like to use my carputer for:

storing and playing music
    satellite radio
    navigation
    hands free cell phone bluetooth
    viewing and tuning engine parameters with hptuners software

My plans for the carputer are as follows:

12 volt carputer power supply
    start up with reference from the ignition
    about 4 GB of ram
    60 GB solid state disk

I plan on running a dual screen setup with 2 7 inch touchscreen monitors. I think I've got quite a bit figured and planned out but I am having trouble deciding on a motherboard. I suppose this would depend on a few factors.

Would it be possible to run a dual screen setup using onboard graphics? I've heard from some that you can't, from others that you can and from others who say it depends on the motherboard. Which is it?

At what point would a person need a sound card? Is onboard sound ok? If I do need a sound card how high end are we talking? Ive spent about $800 dollars on speakers and sound deadening and plan to drop another $200 or $300 more for the addition of a subwoofer. It seems stupid to waste all that effort by not having a proper computer setup.

I suppose for my needs I would be considering either a mini ITX or a micro ATX motherboard. The way I see it, if I need both a sound card and graphics card I would need a micro atx board since an itx doesn't have that many slots (at least none that I've seen). If I can use onboard of either one then I could use an itx board with a pci e slot. I would greatly prefer to use an itx board due to its size but I may be able to use a smaller micro atx if it becomes absolutely necessary. If anyone has any recommendations on a particular motherboard feel free post. I'd appreciate any input anyone can provide.
    Last edited by RedVertTA; 11-27-2011, 10:35 PM.

for the screen question, it depends on the type of screens your using as well.

while there are many board that only have a single vga output, there are just as many boards that have vga, dvi, and hdmi outputs. if you were to use a screen like the lilliput 669-- which is capable of all 3 input formats, then there should not be a problem doing it.

if you were to choose to use a type of screen like the lilliput 701-- that only has vga inputs, then you would have a lot more difficulty because the screens would require 2 vga sources. while some boards output a analog dvi signal that only requires the simple little dvi-vga plug, there are also boards that output a digital dvi signal, and that requires a expensive powered converter.

if you were to choose a single-output board, you could still have dual screens, but would need to use a usb screen for the second monitor.

so all-in-all, there are many ways to do it, and to say it is impossible is incorrect...

for the sound card, it is really personal preference. if you feel that onboard is not going to be good enough, or if you try it and it's not good enough, then don't use it. also, don't forget that you are not required to use a slot-type card, and a usb sound card will work fine in most cases.
    Last edited by soundman98; 11-27-2011, 06:32 PM.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Images fixed. For some reason they didn't work correctly the first time.

Thanks for the input.

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
      for the screen question, it depends on the type of screens your using as well.
      I have not chosen a screen yet. I don't have room for a screen bigger than 7 inches so HDMI seems pointless. I was thinking about something that works off a DVI or maybe VGA port. Would the difference between VGA and DVI be that noticeable for this size screen?

I'm open to suggestions on screens. Initially I was thinking of relocating the HVAC controls and running a single din flip up and double din fixed monitor in the area where the head unit and hvac controls would be located. I've seen this done before. Here's a pic from an ls1tech member who did it:

This is a pic of my head unit area with my pioneer n4 flip up. This is what this area would look like normally:

The difference with my idea is I was thinking about having the single din flip up unit on top and the double din underneath. Lately I've started to rethink this approach. The only two carputer dedicated flip ups I've heard of are the xenarc 700 and the lilliput GL701. I've heard bad things about both so I've been considering other options. I'm currently doing more research to find out if these will work well for me. Using this flip up method would be ideal considering the space I have to work with. This is my preferred method so long as I can find a decent flip up monitor. What do you guys think? Have any of you had experience with these units? Suggestions, comments, concerns?

My other idea (backup) would be to convert my 1.5 din head unit space to hold a double din, keep the hvac below it and mount a 7 inch screen on the dashboard above the 3 round ac vents. My fear with this idea is that the screen might obstruct vision a bit and I think I would have to hack up my dash quite a bit to make it work.

Again I have not decided on any of these routes yet.

while there are many board that only have a single vga output, there are just as many boards that have vga, dvi, and hdmi outputs.
      So what you're saying is as long as there are multiple outputs on the board I can run dual screens right?

if you were to choose a single-output board, you could still have dual screens, but would need to use a usb screen for the second monitor.
      Not all front end software is compatible with usb screens correct?

for the sound card, it is really personal preference. if you feel that onboard is not going to be good enough, or if you try it and it's not good enough, then don't use it. also, don't forget that you are not required to use a slot-type card, and a usb sound card will work fine in most cases.
      I'm trying to achieve is a setup where I don't lose quality because of the lack of a sound card. Do you think I would experience loss in quality running onboard sound?
      Last edited by RedVertTA; 11-28-2011, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedVertTA View Post
        I have not chosen a screen yet. I don't have room for a screen bigger than 7 inches so HDMI seems pointless. I was thinking about something that works off a DVI or maybe VGA port. Would the difference between VGA and DVI be that noticeable for this size screen?

I'm open to suggestions on screens. Initially I was thinking of relocating the HVAC controls and running a single din flip up and double din fixed monitor in the area where the head unit and hvac controls would be located. I've seen this done before. Here's a pic from an ls1tech member who did it:

[pic removed]

This is a pic of my head unit area with my pioneer n4 flip up. This is what this area would look like normally:

[pic removed]

The difference with my idea is I was thinking about having the single din flip up unit on top and the double din underneath. Lately I've started to rethink this approach. The only two carputer dedicated flip ups I've heard of are the xenarc 700 and the lilliput GL701. I've heard bad things about both so I've been considering other options. I'm currently doing more research to find out if these will work well for me. Using this flip up method would be ideal considering the space I have to work with. This is my preferred method so long as I can find a decent flip up monitor. What do you guys think? Have any of you had experience with these units? Suggestions, comments, concerns?

My other idea (backup) would be to convert my 1.5 din head unit space to hold a double din, keep the hvac below it and mount a 7 inch screen on the dashboard above the 3 round ac vents. My fear with this idea is that the screen might obstruct vision a bit and I think I would have to hack up my dash quite a bit to make it work.

Again I have not decided on any of these routes yet.
        yeah, while i have not read of any recent reviews of any flip-up screens, all the old reviews were bad. since the last negative review, lilliput updated their design to use metal gears-- their original issue was that the plastic gears that lift the screen would strip out.. most sellers quit selling by that point, and i have not read of any reviews since that update, or if the change extends the longevity of the screen. so while it might work, it also might not be worth the risk to try.. if you do go through with it, i am very interested in the results (i really don't need another screen, but have a place for one if it somehow made it to my doorstep ).

i recommend the lilliput 669 for a screen-- it accepts vga, dvi, and hdmi, so input connections are not a problem(it can also be ordered with a backup wire for a reverse camera). the screen has some minor issues, but none that make it unusable-- like on my hardware(a zotac 9300 board), it doesn't like to display a image via the vga cable, but hdmi works fine after booting. during booting, it freezes the 'no signal' message over the windows boot logo until the graphics get reset while the pc loads the desktop... but otherwise, i have been very happy with it(my 629 is more reliable with none of the above issues, but only accepts vga).

in terms of a quality increase between formats, i have not noticed any. but in your case, the different formats are needed because most motherboards don't have more then one version of each output type-- so you would need to choose 2 of the connections to fit your needs.

for the location of the second screen, i think the top of the dash is going to be a tough location-- i know it's a completely different car model, but try looking up bybyte's motorized screen install in a vw beetle-- he did a huge amount of work under the dash to get it all to fit, and on your car with the air vents being right there, i suspect that you would have even more obstructions to deal with-- it is surprising how little room there is under most dash's.

So what you're saying is as long as there are multiple outputs on the board I can run dual screens right?
        yes, exactly. but as i believe you've gathered, the screen must have a compatible input for the mother boards capable of this.

Not all front end software is compatible with usb screens correct?
        i am really not sure-- i believe that all of those issues have been resolved, but haven't tried my spare usb screen with a fe lately, so can't confirm..

if i remember right, it was a driver issue with the usb screens-- the software wasn't 'intelligent' enough to pick up the portions of the screen that needs to change--they are up a couple driver revisions now, so i don't think it should be so much of a issue any more.

I'm trying to achieve is a setup where I don't lose quality because of the lack of a sound card. Do you think I would experience loss in quality running onboard sound?
        there is no clear-cut answer to the question-- there are just too many variables. while there are some motherboards that have great onboard audio, there are some that have horrible onboard audio. both types get reviews that praise the quality, and just as many reviews that complain about it's lack of quality... personally, i don't like intel integrated audio chipsets, but many people have no problems with them--of course, i use the carpc for processing and routing the audio to the individual speakers, so my needs are above what the average user might need(i also have something like $1.5-2k wrapped up in audio equipment, and almost spent another $1k on a pair of mids and tweeters)

so in the end, it is personal preference, and there is just no way i can narrow it down any more then that. if you feel that onboard is not good enough, or might not be good enough, get a sound card. other then cost, there is no reason not to.. and at the very worst, you can always return the external card if it doesn't meet your needs.
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

yeah, while i have not read of any recent reviews of any flip-up screens, all the old reviews were bad. since the last negative review, lilliput updated their design to use metal gears-- their original issue was that the plastic gears that lift the screen would strip out.. most sellers quit selling by that point, and i have not read of any reviews since that update, or if the change extends the longevity of the screen. so while it might work, it also might not be worth the risk to try..
          I did not know they changed the design. I will have to do more research then, perhaps I'll open a new thread in the screen section to discuss this. The price on these has dropped significantly. Some of the xenarc flip ups can be bought new for around $150.

try looking up bybyte's motorized screen install in a vw beetle-- he did a huge amount of work under the dash to get it all to fit,
          I'll look that thread up. Sounds like a helpful read.

As for a sound card I think I'll go ahead and get one off the bat or at least plan on running one in the future via usb if onboard doesn't cut it.

I would have to make this decision before starting anything as the decision on whether or not I run an internal sound card would affect the size of my case.

Would there be much of a difference in performance between a usb external sound card and an internal sound card?

Comment

Working...
          X