Hey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey

I'm new, thought I'd say hi. I own a 2000 Mustang v6 and I plan on doing quite a bit to it. I've always been a hardware fanatic, and my last obsession was computers and video games. My new obsession is my car (its a man thing) and I've rebuilt the engine to take some boost and I'm planning on putting two t3/t4 turbos on there. Its about time I united these two obsessions. I want to have a HUD and completely digital gauges run by a carputer that runs my audio with nav and I'd like to have software to modify the ECU like megasquirt as well, but I don't know that much about it. I want this all done by the end of April when I'll be taking a two-year leave to Paraguay. Further-down the road I also want remote start from my android and the sort.
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated. This forum looks like it will be one of my favorites.

Welcome Joel, everything you describe is very doable however I think its going to be tight to finish by April. There is a but-load of reading here to do first planning, then asking questions, aquiring parts, assembling and troubleshooting. If you are very focused and have plenty of cash and free time on your hands, it can be done though!
    Make sure you start in the newbie section and read, read, read, theres tons of great info there.
    My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

thanks for welcoming me. Doing this kind of thing in record-time is my specialty, especially with online support and boy, am I glad to see this forum.
      Id appreciate suggestions on GUIs because the only reason I even found this thread was looking-up torque for android, which im a big fan of. I've been convinced, by reading, than an actual pc is the way to go, but I don't know where to start on the software.

Comment

Welcome, your project sounds very very much like mine. Controlling a MS is one of the things that I think could be difficult. I would also think about having some standard gauges just in case you have a computer problem, I am planning on running a speedo, tach, and fuel load gauges.
        Enter the LOTUS...
        (more info here)

Pre-build thread

Planning: ::::::::::::
        Parts: ::::::::::::
        Build: ::::::::::::
        Test: ::::::::::::
        Install: ::::::::::::

Oh, yeah, and build the car... ::::::::::::

Comment

thanks for welcoming me. I'm quite the fast learner, in my opinion, and this is my only hobby so I think I should be able to get this done in the next three months. I suppose only time will tell though. thanks for the advice.

controlling a MS? what is that?
          I want to replace the cluster since im going to be pegging the 120mph cap and redline starts at 5250 and I've got a 6k capable motor, the fuel gauge sucks, the oil pressure is idiot-switched, and the temp gauge isn't accurate. the sensors are fine, I hear, though. Ford sucks so I need to keep the cluster in anyway, I just want an overlay. it should be reversable and look OEM, so I wont be screwed if I have a failure. ultimately, though, ill be okay with keeping the stock cluster if my HUD works well so I can still have real gauges.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel Maxwell View Post
            thanks for welcoming me. I'm quite the fast learner, in my opinion, and this is my only hobby so I think I should be able to get this done in the next three months. I suppose only time will tell though. thanks for the advice.
            I am also gonna try to be finished with my entire car be the summer, but I also have copious amounts of free time, and a 6 man crew that is willing to help. Doing a car PC in three months is not impossible but to do it by yourself could be tricky.

controlling a MS? what is that?
            MegaSquirt, have you looked into them much yet, or are you going to try to keep with the stock ECU. Here is a MS plun-n-play kit for a Ford 60 pin ECU connector: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/d...kit-p-421.html

I want to replace the cluster since im going to be pegging the 120mph cap and redline starts at 5250 and I've got a 6k capable motor, the fuel gauge sucks, the oil pressure is idiot-switched, and the temp gauge isn't accurate. the sensors are fine, I hear, though. Ford sucks so I need to keep the cluster in anyway, I just want an overlay. it should be reversable and look OEM, so I wont be screwed if I have a failure. ultimately, though, ill be okay with keeping the stock cluster if my HUD works well so I can still have real gauges.
            My plan is to put the gauges on the dash, something like this: http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...-Shipping.html
            Enter the LOTUS...
            (more info here)

Pre-build thread

Comment

Sorry about the double post. I didn't realize I needed confirmation by a mod and thought my phone was just being a douche.

Originally posted by BoyRacer0013 View Post
              I am also gonna try to be finished with my entire car be the summer, but I also have copious amounts of free time, and a 6 man crew that is willing to help. Doing a car PC in three months is not impossible but to do it by yourself could be tricky.[/url]
              We'll see. I doubt it will end-up working in my favor because I'm going to have to cut the research-side of things down, and it also depends a lot on the weather, but from what I see, my biggest hold-time will be how soon I can get paychecks.

MegaSquirt, have you looked into them much yet, or are you going to try to keep with the stock ECU. Here is a MS plun-n-play kit for a Ford 60 pin ECU connector: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/d...kit-p-421.html[/url]
              I have looked into MegaSquirt. I'm a big fan from what I've seen. I, however, have no real experience and this is where I need the most help. The only software I was aware of before I found this forum was Torque for android. I figured I'd end-up trying to write something with LabView or something to get things going. I'll definitely take a look into the pnp kit you listed.

My plan is to put the gauges on the dash, something like this: http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...-Shipping.html
              I love that look in that style mustang, issue is, it doesn't fit mine too well. I've still got a lot of planning to do, though. Either way, to run the car, I need to keep the stock cluster. I'm leaning towards leaving it and just having HUD for the in-depth info, since that's where I want it accessible anyway.

Comment

Also, this PnP kit does or does not replace the actual ECU?

Comment

Also, this PnP kit does or does not replace the actual ECU?
                  Yes if it is comatible with your stang it would replace the stock ecu.
                  Enter the LOTUS...
                  (more info here)

Pre-build thread

Comment

I think I might have discovered what I want to do. I'm really not a fan of the gauges and similar software I'm finding for actual PCs. I'm much more inclined to the soft edges of the android systems. What I think I'll do is use torque on a tablet to replace the cluster and mirror for my HUD. One reason I don't like this is the lack of sound quality from a tab. number two is that I can't feed boost through my current ECU. If I replace that ECU and feed boost to it, I can achieve that. I run that ECU from a carputer that also runs my audio and all diagnostics, like nav, since the PC will have an easier, uglier interface.
                    Will the BT dongle from the OBDII port support two devices? Is this even sane to think of doing it this way?

Comment

Generally: No. You will not be able to connect with two devices and make sense of it. Also, if you get megasquirt, it will not be OBD2 compatible so A: Your car will fail inspection/emissions if it is required where you live, and B: You will not be able to use Torque or any other OBD2 application. You will have to use an application which supports megasquirt's data stream.

Also, have you had any experince with tuning? Starting tuning with a boosted motor is a very good way to waste money and start fires . Tuning a high performance motor is something that should be done after a few years of playing with tuning on much lesser, safer motors. If you do, then you should be fine using megasquirt, and just finding a gauge application that works with it.

I'm actually running into some of the same issues you are with my Camaro project. What I wound up doing, was writing my own software to do the tuning and gauges both, and then running two computers. One for tuning (Windows based), and one for the gauges (linux based). This allowed me to have a supplementary gauge setup to assist (not replace) my stock gauges, and also give me the ability to retune on the fly.

I believe there is software out there already that you may be able to use if you are not able to program, to view megasquirt gauges in a prettyish way, but you can't replace the reliability, speed, and safety that things like a manual boost gauge give you.
                      "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
                      RevFE
                      My Shop

Comment

I plan on using TunnerStudio for my tunning and gauges, there is a free version that has some pre-made gauge displays if you want to play with it. But TunnerStudio is a MS only application.

For emissions, I assume that when you take the car in for the testing they plug into your OBD2 port, so you will need to keep that function. This is where the plug-n-play (or doing a parallel installation) comes in, when you go for testing remove the MS and reconnect your stock ECU, and stick it to the man Do you know how your stock gauges are driven, if they run of the ECU you will probably need to do a parallel install with a MS, so swapping ECUs wont be an issue.
                        Enter the LOTUS...
                        (more info here)

Pre-build thread

Comment

very useful information, thank you. +reps. I had no idea megasquirt wasn't OBDII compatible.

I actually have no experience with tuning. im being told time and again I need experience, and as I dig deeper, I start to agree more and more. would you recommend a system from SCT?

also, would you know if there's a way to get boost/vac data to appear on a OBDII-based gauge software like torque? I don't have a stock sensor, and I don't know if my 'stang computer can handle it.

Comment

For emissions, I assume that when you take the car in for the testing they plug into your OBD2 port, so you will need to keep that function. This is where the plug-n-play (or doing a parallel installation) comes in, when you go for testing remove the MS and reconnect your stock ECU, and stick it to the man Do you know how your stock gauges are driven, if they run of the ECU you will probably need to do a parallel install with a MS, so swapping ECUs wont be an issue.
                            I'm almost positive my gauges run from the stock ECU, it may be the BCU, though. nonetheless, communication is going to be ruined by replacing the ECU. im leaning away from MS for this reason.

Comment

I'm almost positive my gauges run from the stock ECU, it may be the BCU, though. nonetheless, communication is going to be ruined by replacing the ECU. im leaning away from MS for this reason.
                              I see, are you still going to try to have the ability to change tunes on the fly?
                              Enter the LOTUS...
                              (more info here)

Pre-build thread

Comment

Working...
                              X