Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I keep blowing LCD Controllers

Alrighty guys here whats up:

I bought a new screen from motor city tech (duayn) for $200 w/ hdmi and touch. I keep blowing up the LCD controller and at $56 a pop, its expensive..

My car is a 05 Crown Victoria.
    Initially, I wired the screen directly to the radio harness +12v and Ground. (I even tried using an "egg" from a Lilliput power adapter to fix it. still blew it out the water.

Then I tried hooking it to the psu floppy cable. (using one of those barrel connector setups)
    So, Today, after spending some time running new wire threw the car, I blew my 4th (or 5th) board.

So I had my mechanic friend bring by his voltage checker. At the radio im at 12v constant (we sat with it hooked up for 5 min and watched it) And the ground registered 0.0

So then I tested the barrel connector, the inside pin showed between 11.8 and 12v. and the outside (ground) showed .01 I checked the silver plate and it was also .01 So.... is that a problem as I think it is?

And.... whats causing my screen to blow.

Important:
    As of 1/17/12 I am throwing in the towel on this project. I have invested way to much for this screen, and have not gotten good results. I am now working with the seller to create me a better solution. I would recommend anyone needing a custom screen go to duayn. How ever, I would not recommend going with no-name parts. Spend the extra and go genuine.
    Last edited by raggedrebel92; 02-16-2012, 10:50 PM. Reason: Solution

what screen model are you using?
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Its a no-name monitor from Motor City Tech:

http://www.display-touch.com/open-fr...y/prod_25.html

Comment

maybe try a name brand screen like a lilliput or zenarc? :dunno:

has duane said anything about issues with those screens from other customers, or implied your the only one with issues?

how long has it taken so far to blow a controller? and what voltage reference were you using for those voltage readings?

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

No i haven't tried the name brands cause I just don't have a whole paycheck to throw at the thing.

I'm almost certain its a me problem, cause I had this setup in another car and never had this problem.

And.... Idk? It was a probe like item that was 12-24v and he attached it to + and - on the battery and then used the tip to read the volts.

Comment

And his tool didn't test amps (amperage?) so, my thoughts are maybe i'm pushing 12v but a crazy amount of amps?

Comment

I am in the same boat, I have the exact same LCD controller. I'm not sure how much you spent, but I am close to $800 in spare parts. I narrowed it down to the 8pin micro-controller IC (U2 is the designator on the PCB) I basically pulled out most of the parts and replaced them. If you replace just this IC it will 100% work. I wouldn't bother as it will just blow up on you again. After several tests (ie blowing up LCD controllers) i figured out that the damage occurs if there are rapid power fluctuations or slow rising/falling input voltage. I thought this was just me!!

The sign that your controller has blown up is if you see a completely black or white screen.

I wouldn't recommend this monitor for in car use.

.. Just my 15+ blown up LCD controllers worth

Comment

Civic,

Did you buy the unit from Motor City? Its good to see what the problem is. Im right at $400 invested. And yeah, the screen would start to go white and then It would die. I was thinking it was my screen that was the problem.

Any recommendations as for replacements?

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                  maybe try a name brand screen like a lilliput or zenarc? :dunno:

has duane said anything about issues with those screens from other customers, or implied your the only one with issues?

how long has it taken so far to blow a controller? and what voltage reference were you using for those voltage readings?
                  Unless they did not inform me, only rebel92 has had problems. The latest board I sent to him was powered on my bench for almost 24 hours before I sent it to him.
                  I used a Lilliput ac/dc adapter to test with.

Now to be honest, I have only sold about 50 of this particular display, so I think it is safe to say the problems must be install related.

Not sure where or why, but my guess is there is either a voltage spike, or a short somewhere.

In all instances, rebel92's boards gave up heir smoke within 10-15 minutes of operation.

That just does not make sense when they run for literally days on end in my shop (of course there is the whole Regulated Power thing.....)

Comment

Alright so I just tested something I hadn't thought of yet (I have no idea why).

I installed a liliput screen and controller. I've had it on for 30 min now and it hasn't done as much as flicker. And its not even using the liliput egg.

Now on the subject of a short. My car is wired as follows:

Red 8guage wire +Battery-fuse-Amp
                    Black 8 guage wire --- -Battery to amp (gnd)
                    Blue 8 gauge wire +battery---fuse---CPU
                    Black 12 guage wire ---- cpu--- amp ground
                    18 gauge wires (pwr/gnd) cpu--screen

And I just ran new wires Tuesday when I wanted to try the latest screen board.

So, I'm still not sure what's causing the power issues.

Comment

what screen model are you using?
                      The controller is the VS-2688-N2

Comment

Originally posted by raggedrebel92 View Post
                        Civic,

Did you buy the unit from Motor City? Its good to see what the problem is. Im right at $400 invested. And yeah, the screen would start to go white and then It would die. I was thinking it was my screen that was the problem.

Any recommendations as for replacements?
                        No I did not get it from Motor City. So did you unit start smoking after 10mins like tft stated? If this is the case then its probably something else as none of mine actually "smoked", the screen just went white and died.

The Element 7" is quite popular, but mounting it into a bybyte frame is a bit awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by Civic Modz View Post
                          No I did not get it from Motor City. So did you unit start smoking after 10mins like tft stated? If this is the case then its probably something else as none of mine actually "smoked", the screen just went white and died.

The Element 7" is quite popular, but mounting it into a bybyte frame is a bit awkward.
                          I think he was being metaphorical when he said "they gave up their smoke" kinda like pushing up daisy's. They never actually smoked.

The screen was first installed in a 6v system for about a year, but when I went to transfer to a standard 12v is when I had the issues (I sold the other car).
                          The screens would come on for a few mins, just about long enough for me to go "oh... maybe its not going to..... oh crap".They would do a combination of several things.Some times they would start going white and I would pull the pulg and they would be fine for a bit. Other times it would Flicker on/off/on/off then turn off and dead.

Like I said though I had a Lilliput unit that works without a fear, I just don't have a 20' vga cable right off hand. (I left all the old wiring under the carpet of the old car).

Comment

sorry, my modem seems to be killing it's self every night, i didn't get here in time last night..

And his tool didn't test amps (amperage?) so, my thoughts are maybe i'm pushing 12v but a crazy amount of amps?
                            it doesn't work like that amps are the amount that the screen is consuming-- there is no way to force anymore into a device then it consumes. it would be a good idea to test to see if the screen is consuming what it is rated to consume, though this won't prove or disprove much more then you already know.

Originally posted by tft_lcd_org View Post
                            Unless they did not inform me, only rebel92 has had problems. The latest board I sent to him was powered on my bench for almost 24 hours before I sent it to him.
                            I used a Lilliput ac/dc adapter to test with.

Now to be honest, I have only sold about 50 of this particular display, so I think it is safe to say the problems must be install related.
                            50 should be plenty to hear of issues, so i agree..

Originally posted by tft_lcd_org View Post
                            Not sure where or why, but my guess is there is either a voltage spike, or a short somewhere.

In all instances, rebel92's boards gave up heir smoke within 10-15 minutes of operation.

That just does not make sense when they run for literally days on end in my shop (of course there is the whole Regulated Power thing.....)
                            by connecting it the the dc-dc psu, that 'should' take care of the regulated power issues..

Alright so I just tested something I hadn't thought of yet (I have no idea why).

I installed a liliput screen and controller. I've had it on for 30 min now and it hasn't done as much as flicker. And its not even using the liliput egg.
                            ok, what lilliput screen are you using?

wait, are you using the hdmi or the vga input? and what motherboard are you using?

i have issues with my 669 screens(i have 2, both do it) not liking the vga signal off my zotac 9300 board--sometimes, they just won't work correctly off that--it's been a while since i screwed with it, so i don't remember the exact issue i was having, but i ended up changing over to using hdmi--which is working nearly flawlessly(they have some slight issues--none that have hindered me too much)... now my older 629 screen is vga-only, and is what i would consider rock-solid-- it just works, and i have never had even a slight hiccup with it..

looking up the product manual for that screen, i saw this:

operational voltage:
                            min: 10.5
                            typ: 12
                            max:13.5

depending on your car voltage, it could be exceeding the max input voltage-- if you have the screen connected directly to the car power.

i believe you still have the screen connected to the carpc's power supply, which should be outputting a regulated 12v-- which is exactly the voltage the screen requires.

from the power standpoint, it sounds like everything is working as it should. running the replacement power wire definitely helped prove that the issue is not a issue with defective wiring..

there is only a couple other options i can think of, though if they don't work, the board is still going to blow up, so it's up to you weather it is worth pursuing considering the lilliput's working for you at the moment:

1: try a different voltage regulator, like this: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...7-5-ND&x=0&y=0

in theory, it shouldn't change anything, but i guess it is possible that the oscillations of the dc-dc psu could be causing the screen to go out-- they shouldn't be...

2: try a different motherboard--the one your using could have a funky output that the screen just doesn't like to play with..

3. try the other cable connection-- using vga? try hdmi.. or the other way around..

4. lastly, have you tried to power a screen up in the house to see if you can recreate the same situation as duane did in his shop?

that's all i can think of for now..

next project? subaru brz
                            carpc undecided

Comment

Holy cow, now this is a reply!

sorry, my modem seems to be killing it's self every night, i didn't get here in time last night..

I really really hope you mean router?

it doesn't work like that amps are the amount that the screen is consuming-- there is no way to force anymore into a device then it consumes. it would be a good idea to test to see if the screen is consuming what it is rated to consume, though this won't prove or disprove much more then you already know.

Sorry, I'm not an electrician

50 should be plenty to hear of issues, so i agree..
                              But then there is the other guy who has the same controller board who's having the same problems.

by connecting it the the dc-dc psu, that 'should' take care of the regulated power issues..
                              So you mean the floppy cable from the m3axt right?

ok, what lilliput screen are you using?
                              The.... its so old I have no idea but I bought it from TFT so I expect him to know right off the top of his head, 1.0
                              Just kidding duayn.

wait, are you using the hdmi or the vga input? and what motherboard are you using?
                              Both. Initially I was using HDMI on the new screen, and then I tested the power source using vga (HDMI wasn't popular then)
                              And its an intel......... something. *goes to check purchase history* DH67CF LGA1155 Mini-ITX Motherboard

i have issues with my 669 screens(i have 2, both do it) not liking the vga signal off my zotac 9300 board--sometimes, they just won't work correctly off that--it's been a while since i screwed with it, so i don't remember the exact issue i was having, but i ended up changing over to using hdmi--which is working nearly flawlessly(they have some slight issues--none that have hindered me too much)... now my older 629 screen is vga-only, and is what i would consider rock-solid-- it just works, and i have never had even a slight hiccup with it..

looking up the product manual for that screen, i saw this:

operational voltage:
                              min: 10.5
                              typ: 12
                              max:13.5

depending on your car voltage, it could be exceeding the max input voltage-- if you have the screen connected directly to the car power.

i believe you still have the screen connected to the carpc's power supply, which should be outputting a regulated 12v-- which is exactly the voltage the screen requires.

Correct.

from the power standpoint, it sounds like everything is working as it should. running the replacement power wire definitely helped prove that the issue is not a issue with defective wiring..

If you read, I did that, after the 3rd board and before the last one. So tried that.

there is only a couple other options i can think of, though if they don't work, the board is still going to blow up, so it's up to you weather it is worth pursuing considering the lilliput's working for you at the moment:

1: try a different voltage regulator, like this: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...7-5-ND&x=0&y=0

in theory, it shouldn't change anything, but i guess it is possible that the oscillations of the dc-dc psu could be causing the screen to go out-- they shouldn't be...

2: try a different motherboard--the one your using could have a funky output that the screen just doesn't like to play with..

Sadly, I don't have a spare 1155 Mobo Just laying around.

3. try the other cable connection-- using vga? try hdmi.. or the other way around..

4. lastly, have you tried to power a screen up in the house to see if you can recreate the same situation as duane did in his shop?

that's all i can think of for now..

Alright thank you for your extensive response. I hope I have answered everything I could. I'm actually in negotiations with TFT on the purchase of a new 669hb screen (with the glass capasitive screen) . I really dont have the time (or the $$$$) to be waiting a week, plugging in a screen, blowing it in a matter of 5-7 min (10 was the max) and having to wait another week. (and no-way-in-hell 15 times!!!!) I took a gamble buying a generic Chinese setup, and my system dosen't like it.
                              Last edited by raggedrebel92; 02-16-2012, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X