boost gauge to carputer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boost gauge to carputer

im wondering if it possible to have my boost readout go through to my carputer without a OBD-II vehicle

Yes. Hook your pressure sensor up to a FusionBrain, Arduino, Qube, or any other I/O device, then plug it into software to display on the PC
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Comment

well you wont (easily) be able to take the readout from your gauge and use that in the computer unless you go into logic sniffing and all that stuff.

you can get boost data from the sensor. you'll need to write some code to translate the sensor output into something that the computer will understand. then you'll need to come up with some way of displaying that data in your front end. it's not as easy as just plugging sensor into microcontroller (fb or arduino) and then plugging that into the computer. but it's not impossible. should be something doable with a little research on the forums.

is your boost gauge mechanical or digital?
      Last edited by scott_fx; 02-15-2012, 05:38 PM.
      New System in progress:
      M10k
      Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
      Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
      Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
      Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
      Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
      My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

I'm not all that tech savy but i don't want gauges hanging out of my dash so thats why i'm thinking of doing this. would it be possible to disconnect the sensor from a newer model and hook it up to my turbo? will i still need to write a code so the computer will be able to read it?

Comment

how many psi are you running?
          You can get a boost sensor from newark for under 30 bucks. (i'm just unsure if you'd want absolute pressure or gage pressure... would have to research that a bit more.) but it would be very simply. i bet there is some sort of code out there already for an analog sensor. you could just grab that code and tweak it to fit your needs
          something like this:
          http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/AnalogInOutSerial
          just replace the potentiometer with your pressure sensor and you are done. well... then you'd have to just calibrate the readings with a simple 'map' function that i can help you with.

that would get you your output to the computer. The big question is if Sonicxtacy02 has finished his RR/arduino plugin yet

http://www.newark.com/honeywell-s-c/...gle/dp/56T3537
          http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/turboflow.html
          New System in progress:
          M10k
          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

I'm not hugely up on turbo gauges but wouldn't the sensor need to read both boost and vacuum?

Phidgets or the fusion brain will probably be easier for you than arduino. Arduino's are excellent but require more know-how IMO.

Comment

oh you are right. i forgot about vac. they do have sensors that measure vac and boost though.
              don't you need to know C++ for phidgets?
              New System in progress:
              M10k
              Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
              My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

No, but you need to know C for Arduino which they have excellent documents on but I don't know C and it makes sketching time consuming and difficult. I know VB6 and have been self learning VB.net lately but phidget supports ALL sorts of languages. From their site:

Languages:
                Adobe Director
                Android
                AppleScript
                AutoIt
                C#
                C/C++
                Cocoa
                Delphi
                Flash AS3
                Flex AS3
                iOS
                Java
                LabVIEW
                LiveCode
                MATLAB
                Max/MSP
                Microsoft Robotics Studio 1.5
                Python
                REALBasic
                Ruby
                Simulink
                Visual Basic .NET
                Visual Basic 6.0
                Visual Basic for Applications
                Visual Basic Script

Comment

i wasn't implying that arduino was preferable. just that if that is out of his scope, then phidgets would be as well. The one thing that is great about arduino is the community. everyone is very eager to help. that is actually one of the things that pushed me towards arduino over fb. fb is a great product, just not enough experienced people (that are wil or ready to help) are on the forums
                  New System in progress:
                  M10k
                  Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                  My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

100% agree. I chose Arduino for the community and programming interface as FB's interface had just been rewritten and there was no documentation. That plus arduino's are cheaper(from china if you want to wait) and I have blown 2 to bumping resistors together on the prototyping board. If he is a newb to electronics, FB or phidgets could get expensive if he makes mistakes.

Comment

just use a gm 3 bar map sensor found on the buick grand national. available at autozone and reads up to 3 bar of boost. and its a 3 wire 0-5v sensor. the pigtail connector is available also. or there is the map sensors offered by aem. nice stainless body with a pigtail included. it threads in instead of a hose connection. aem also provides the chart boost vs voltage output. Might be able to contact dyno-jet who makes chassis dyno's and see if they can help you with the software they use for boost and a pc for their dyno.

Comment

Working...
                      X