No announcement yet.

New to CarPCs. Looking for advice.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to CarPCs. Looking for advice.

Well I'm rebuilding my 02 Celica GT-S when I get home from this deployment and was thinking about adding a PC to it just for simple games and emulators of older systems and to use with my engine management software and what ever else I decide to add in the future. I've looked and think I have found what I want to get, just looking to see if I can get some advice on what I have decided to get from someone with more experience. This is what I've got so far...

- ASRock Z68M-ITX/HT LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
    - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9W
    - Intel i-5 2500k
    - Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    - M350 Universal Mini-ITX enclosure
    - M4-ATX 250W Intelligent DC-DC PSU

My biggest question is will that all fit in that case and is that going to be enough power for what I have picked out with room for future additions. I will probably use a 500mb or more external WD HDD to store anything like music, movies, games.

I know this might seem like to much for a carPC but I do not want to have to worry about anything and money really does not matter.

Also I plan on getting this monitor...

- Sunlight Readable 7'' Touchscreen Monitor Lilliput 669GL-70NP/C/T

the typical 'suitable' power supplies for a board like that don't fit in any prebuilt cases.. the M-2 is the most popular psu and will fit in most cases.

also, i recommend switching to a i3 instead. i run audio processing software that is much more cpu intensive then most other carpc installs, and the i3 is more then capable of it(actually, i run a dual core pentium, but the i3 and pentium are pretty close in power). the i3/M-2 setup has been done before, and has been deemed to be a perfectly capable setup, and will fit in a case..

also, i really don't see a reason for 8gig's of ram-- if you are planning on hibernating, then this will work against you-- you want the least amount of ram as possible.

overall, i don't see a reason for running any more then 2-3gb's of ram in car-- most programs don't rely on the ram heavily enough to require so much..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided