Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camry 2003: Simple Windows Carputer?

Hi guys,

I'm a great programmer but I want a simple package that takes care of all the hardware... Something I can install that will have a monitor/touchscreen and working carputer out of the box. Ideally looking to spend under $700 with shipping.
    It's for a Toyota Camry (grey-silver interior) with a double-din.

I'm thinking Windows just because I am a Windows coder... What hardware kits packages would you recommend? I'd like something that looks "kit".

I'd like Bluetooth support and a GPS.

Thanks!

there really isn't anything that just bolts into the the dash-- there is, but all of it already comes with software, and is really not designed around being messed with.. your best bet is one of mp3cars bundle deals.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

I dunno... I see a lot of options on Alibaba.com... (Just search it.) Even with min orders of 1. Many run Windows CE but that's fine for me:
      Intel Atom (says it runs XP):
      http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/51...mputer_in.html
      Win CE for Camry:
      http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/50...or_Toyota.html
      Win CE for any, with retractable screen:
      http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/50..._Computer.html

Any experience with these and what are your thoughts? How would they compare to the bundles available here?

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
      there really isn't anything that just bolts into the the dash-- there is, but all of it already comes with software, and is really not designed around being messed with.. your best bet is one of mp3cars bundle deals.

Comment

Also just a note- I don't mind if it comes with existing software, so long as I can also run WinCE / WinXP / something like that.... I'd also be willing to deal with an Android if I found a good deal. Anyhow, let me know what you think about the Alibaba links.

Comment

the major issue is that nearly all of them have poor quality, custom parts, with nearly no support, and usually custom parts that use custom drivers that they don't like to share(for a example, search for infill g4). and in many cases, there is no way to reprogram the device from using it's base of programs.. at least, i have not seen anyone take any time to make any headway with any of them..

overall, i'm kind of against all-in-ones after reading so many infill g4 problem threads...

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
            the major issue is that nearly all of them have poor quality, custom parts, with nearly no support, and usually custom parts that use custom drivers that they don't like to share(for a example, search for infill g4). and in many cases, there is no way to reprogram the device from using it's base of programs.. at least, i have not seen anyone take any time to make any headway with any of them..

overall, i'm kind of against all-in-ones after reading so many infill g4 problem threads...

What then in terms of bundles would you recommend for a double din? The links above are running Windows, but anyways...

Looking for a computer and screen bundle. Im all ears.

Comment

this section:
              http://store.mp3car.com/Car_Computer_Systems_s/25.htm

i believe mo-co-so also builds custom pc's.

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

I'm confused. how could you be a wondows programer and...
                a. Not want to build your own (no matter how you slice it you'll be paying someone hundreds of dollars for plugging in a few wires if you buy a kit)
                b. be ok with windows CE. I've worked with CE i've had a headunit based off of CE. I would sooner just have a pioneer deck than have anything running CE.

Comment

Working...
                X