Completely removing HU from build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely removing HU from build

Is it a bad Idea to uninstall the HU entirely running all music from the computer and using a USB DAC for my analog signal?

Something like thishttp://www.amazon.com/HRT-Music-Stre.../dp/B0038O4UFQ

From here everything feeds into a 5 channel amp. Right-Left-Sub

no, it is not a bad idea.

many of us run it that way--replacing the hu was my main motivation to building a carpc(for the audio tuning options). overall, it seems that this method has started to be referred to as a 'headless' setup (though technically the carpc becomes the headunit)

that unit has good reviews all around, the only reason i won't buy it is because i require at least 5 outputs for my setup, and buying 3 units is not cost effective.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

I was wondering about that. The USB DAC has two outputs, for each stereo channel. But an amp wants a seperate channel for EACH speaker. Why is this? Just for more indepth fading options? I plan on feeding the input from the DAC into a crossover and EQ before amping the signal, but how do I take two signals and send it to a 5 channel amp that wants 4 minimum

Comment

I was wondering about that. The USB DAC has two outputs, for each stereo channel. But an amp wants a seperate channel for EACH speaker. Why is this? Just for more indepth fading options? I plan on feeding the input from the DAC into a crossover and EQ before amping the signal, but how do I take two signals and send it to a 5 channel amp that wants 4 minimum

Comment

the 'best' way is rca y-adapters. best as in cheapest/easiest to install.

what eq and/or x-over were you planning on using? some models support upmixing to multiple channels, so y-adapters might not be needed.

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

I was hoping that a crossover could do that. I have not found one though. Any idea whrte I migjt find one?

Comment

I'm planning on doing the same, ditching the head unit for a more clutter free install. I haven't decided yet but I think I'm going to go with this from the store:
              http://store.mp3car.com/TDA7850_Inte..._p/com-140.htm

Comment

Meh, ive already got a rockford amp for the bass and will probably pick up another for the steroe

Comment

check nivanov's build thread on his trials and tribulations with that amp chipset(link)-- it woks good, but it does require a heatsink, and as far as i know, mp3car is not selling one with it..

next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

Comment

what about a crossover with a built in upmixing for multi channels

Comment

What about a crossover with a upmixer? does anyone know where i might find that?

Comment

The computer brakes down on a long cross-country drive - now what!?
                        OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
                        Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
                        Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
                        BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
                        M2-ATX Power Supply
                        RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
                        Windows XP SP3

Comment

roll down the windows and enjoy it how they used to.

actually, i have this accounted for already-- i maintain a secondary input into my amps to provide a workaround in the case of a carpc issue..

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

And headunits break down as well....... especially the higher end GPS ones they seem to have more issues then the basic ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Hdale85 View Post
                              And head units break down as well....... especially the higher end GPS ones they seem to have more issues then the basic ones.
                              A cheap knock-off from China maybe! In the F150 (which i totaled) i ran the computer through the AUX input of a Pioneer AVIC-D3 which kept running while i replaced the computer's HDD, RAM, and while i reinstalled a corrupt OS.

Granted, the Nav units today maybe more prone to malfunction due to they sophistication but it wouldn't make sense to have a high-end HU AND a computer. All you need is a good single din unit with AUX input. Those are even more reliable.
                              OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
                              Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
                              Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
                              BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
                              M2-ATX Power Supply
                              RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
                              Windows XP SP3

Comment

Working...
                              X