Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybernation - Requesting Simple Answer

Hi Everyone
    1. When using Hybernation/Hybrid Sleep with Win7 and SSD does the hybernation file get created each time the PC is shutdown? Can this be avoided? Will this reduce the life of the SSD?
    2. When using WinXP with EWF?, what are the procedures to ensure that the hybernation file is used only once (I know about HORM and the associated files). Do you turn off Hybernation once the file is created?

I have read many postings and the answers to the above questions are not really clear.

Thanks for you help.

1. Yes because it's dumping memory. No. Yes.
    2. HORM enables you to resume from hibernation without needing to re-hibernate everytime. With HORM you should be powering off the system or shutting down normally. I don't think you turn off hibernation but you don't actually hibernate on shutdown, just shutdown or poweroff.
    Tidder

Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Thanks for your response. Very much appreciated.

Comment

I'm surprised nobody got to you sooner. Shows that the community is shifting I think... not as many conventional PCs anymore I guess.
        Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

There's no need to worry about worn out the modern SSDs these days for home usage. As hibernation dumps memory it needs to write every shutdown, yes.

Comment

Uhh... just because SSDs are improving doesn't mean they've found a magical substance that doesn't die from writes. And now with TLC technology, the life is even shorter although the drive is cheaper.

If you go the SSD route, get a big enough one so that wear-leveling will do it's job. If you get a 60 gig SSD and keep 10gb free, you'll kill that 10gb pretty quickly between hibernation and swap, even with wear-leveling. Keep your install small and keep lots of free space available to help maximize the life of the drive.
            Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Working...
            X