Advise on purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise on purchase

I am going to just buy a new computer case and mother board...advice? I have the hard drive so that is all good. I want something quick...mother board ram and case...

aaaaaand GO!

my personal opinion concerning space power and power consumption is am1 platform . At least that's my next setup will be . a 5350 apu with a mobo that supports dc in . I was looking for a am1 mobo with lvds connection but i thing it is quite difficult to find.

anyway this is my vote

but sorry didnt ask. is it for car or for desktop use ? cause if it is desktop then i think it is slow.
    Vw Sharan 2007 1.9tdi || Exide 100Ah
    Fuzzy 945gme + core duo T2400 + 2gb ddr 667 + pci nvidia 5500 256mb + kingston v300 60gb + hdd 2.5" 100gb 5400 + Sure Gps module
    Primary monitor 8" 800x600 || Secondary monitor 15.4" 1280x800
    Powered by M2 atx

Comment

Car use....sorry didn't think to say that cause I was on the carputer forum .

Is that what you are running in your car?

Oh also I have 2 M4 power supplies I forgot to mention that

Comment

i thought it was a carpc but i wanted to make sure on that.

no i am running what is on my signature in my car. it is an old setup. Cause of the two monitors and the lack of a decent vga i am having video frame problems while running hd movies and navigation on the same time. So i am on my way to replace the whole system . Anyway kabini apu are running on 25watt that means that the m4 are overkill and wont get stressed by that system.

I dont know why but since i saw these integrated chips i felt in love with them.

you guys have the best computer eshop in the whole galaxy . i am very jelous

check this
        Last edited by Happy_Feet; 03-14-2015, 01:58 AM.
        Vw Sharan 2007 1.9tdi || Exide 100Ah
        Fuzzy 945gme + core duo T2400 + 2gb ddr 667 + pci nvidia 5500 256mb + kingston v300 60gb + hdd 2.5" 100gb 5400 + Sure Gps module
        Primary monitor 8" 800x600 || Secondary monitor 15.4" 1280x800
        Powered by M2 atx

Comment

I have no setup. All I ahve so far is 2 m4's I got for $100 new and a High brightness 7 kinch liliput monitor

Comment

All depends on what you plan to do with your system.

If you are doing a basic car PC then there is no reason to look further than a simple Tablet and mount it in your dash.

If you can fit an 8" screen in your dash then something like the HP Stream 8 or a Microcenter TW801 is your likely best bet. Those tablets are full blown windows 8.1 machines. I have a TW802 and I should have purchased the TW801 instead. The only differences are the 801 has a USB3 port where the 802 is a USB2 port. With a TW801 or TW802 they have a standard USB port for normal USB stuff, a MicroUSB port that is ONLY for charging, a 3.5 mm stereo audio plug and a micro HDMI port. So if you have a HDMI screen you could theoretically use it on this tablet, you could even theoretically have a touch screen HDMI screen hooked to this tablet and just hide the tablet in the vehicle somewhere else.

These quad core atom tablets are pretty capable and would be a very nice carpc setup, very cheap as well. All of these are around $100.

I know both of the Microcenter tablets also have MicroSD card slots. I have a 64gig card sitting in mine. I mostly use mine for email, forum reading and car diagnostics when I am not home.

Rodney

Comment

^ What is the fun in that? If that is all I am going to do might as well stick my Zune in the van and leave that. I plan on expanding things keep doing. So many motherboards to pick from...it is crazy

Comment

anything from here is a good purchase http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/Intel.html You get to bump yourself upto an industrial level board built for the extremes we see in vehicle environment. And to buy them from here great service and reasonable pricing. http://www.logicsupply.com/components/motherboards/ As for CPU buy what you can afford. Good luck SNO

Comment

It will depend on what type of case you want if you are not going to go the tablet route. How much room do you have to use?

If you are using a very small case you can get buy with an M3-ATX.

And pick up something like the ASUS Z971-PLUS motherboard that has all you need on it with an i7 mobile processor or atleast a low powered one. If you go with a black box case with the PCIe expansion port slot you can add any single port card to it you want. This is one of the more powerful setups. Some of us have a Gigabyte motherboard that is designed for use in high humidity conditions. I have a 3rd generation i5 in mine if I remember correctly. But when you look for motherboards you should try to get ones that are designed for high humidity environments which are sometimes also called industrial motherboards. They are designed to handle harsher environments. You could also look for an automotive grade but they are much harder to find. The Industrial motherboards are likely to work in anything but extreme cold or extreme hot. You also want to make sure the motherboard you have has a built on video card and it would be nice if you have a mini pcie port onboard so you can add a Wifi card onboard without using the PCIe card slot. I forget what board I have in my truck but it has WiFi, Blue tooth, Audio, Video and all sorts of other stuff onboard. You can start looking for M.2 support as well which is a new type of hard drive. I know there are some boards out there...

Rodney

Comment

Another option would be to sell those 2 M4 power supplies and use that money to pick up the Vensmile unit as posted here http://www.mp3car.com/general-hardwa...ml#post1513326 SNO

Comment

Just depends on how much you want to do. The ONLY issue I see with the units Sno is looking at is you will still need much of the same hardware that you would need to make a PC run so if you need a touch screen and power supply to run it and it is not much more expandable than a tablet you are still looking at a tablet might be a cheaper option and about as expandable. Although it is definitely more accessible than most tablets.

Comment

Working...
                      X