How to hookup a laptop drive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to hookup a laptop drive?

Uhh... I'm probably gonna get laughed at for this, but how in the heck do I hook up a laptop hard drive unit for use in a standard PC?! I've been toying and staring at this thing for a few days now, and I can't figure it out! I know it's gotta be something easy, but I can't seem to find any info on it! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Traxxis - you need a 2.5" IDE adapter. Here's a link to one:
    http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=205-1991

The picture ought to give you the right idea (of course, you don't really need the brackets).
    Custom Linux system on an '89 VW GTI 16V Edition One
    Jogdial volume control, Sony joystick, IR remote...
    Used to be the fastest Linux on the road, until all these NOS types came along...

Comment

And how about a diskette drive?

Comment

Originally posted by fjmedinaa:
        <STRONG>And how about a diskette drive? </STRONG>
        Probably not going to happen. Most laptop disk drives use a proprietary interface. If you have the skill, you may be able to reverse engineer the power connections out of it and make a custom adapter cable, but that's a lot more trouble than it's worth as a standard PC floppy drive will work fine.
        Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
        Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
        "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

This kit providdes a mounting bracket and cable adapter

http://www.cyberguys.com/

NOTEBOOK 2.5''-3.5'' HD ADAPTER

bad news $13.49

TruckinMP3
          TruckinMP3
          D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Or try everone's favorite www.ebay.com that's where I got mine from. In the search box just type in 2.5 3.5 hard drive and you'll find about 3 companies who sell them pretty cheap, just watch out for shipping, (The company who's really cheap charges something like $14 for P&P).
            And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
            www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
            Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Comment

Answered my own question

Originally posted by Rob
              I just got mine in the post, but before I connect it up a few questions. My adaptor will plug into the harddisk either way up and the IDE cable will plug into the adaptor either way up, obviously I'd rather not mess this up.

So does pin 1 on the hard disk connect to pin 1 on the IDE cable (the red wire?) and are the powr connectors the 2 pins furthest from pin 1?

Rob
              The answer is yes, pin 1 connects to pin 1, and the 2 pins furtherest from pin 1 are the power connectors. Just thought I'd post it for future reference.
              And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
              www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
              Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Comment

Rob: Same thing happened to me. What I did was plug in the adaptor so that the 1 pin in the hard drive matched pin 1 in the adapter (obviously). To make sure I had pin 1 right I went to IBM's site for pinout.

In order for the IDE cable to match the pins it had to go opposite of what it normaly goes, pin 1 is furthest from the power plug, just like you said.

Hope I make sense and this helps you.

Comment

computergeeks also carries the 2.5>3.5 adapter for cheap ($3.65)

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108
                  -Nick

Comment

What? You mean you can actually connect a notebook HD and use it as if its a normal desktop HD by just using an adapter?

Can you boot with the notebook HD?

Is there a catch?
                    New Lilliput EBY701 For Sale http://www.nusantech.com/index.asp?c...at=TOUCHSCREEN
                    SiRF3 Bluetooth GPS http://www.nusantech.com/index.asp?cat=GPS

Comment

No catch amigo, it will operate like any normal IDE harddrive. And yes, you can boot from them. In times of distress, or unfortunate finacial situations ive had to use my ibm travelstar drives in my desktop. I guess the only real catch that most of them are only 4,500 RPM vs the 5,400 or 7,200 rpm 5.25' harddrives.

Comment

3.5 inch you mean - the 5.25s are the size of the old 1.2M floppy disks.
                        2006 Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 5.4L
                        StreetDeck
                        Project: [■■■■■■■■■-] 90% complete (reconfiguration phase)
                        Status report:
                        -Configuring and wiring the camera system

http://www.necevil.com/gallery/index...el=album&id=20

Comment

nobody needs a floppy drive in the car anyway. What'll be really hot is an old 5.25" 1.2 meg drive in the carputer....you dont get more vintage then that.
                          Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

Originally posted by samc
                            nobody needs a floppy drive in the car anyway. What'll be really hot is an old 5.25" 1.2 meg drive in the carputer....you dont get more vintage then that.
                            /me digs around for some 8" disks... now that is vintage

Comment

5.25 is also the size of your optical drives (cd-rom, etc) on a normal full sized case. kids: drugs are bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X