Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDD Issues..

Hi, please go easy on me (n00bie)

I am toying with the idea of making a carputer using mini itx case, opus PSU, pop-up lcd screen - what looks like a fairly standard setup on here. It will have gps, wlan, play mp3 & dvd/divx movies.
    It will be interfacing with a Sony HU via the cd changer - already working on the GNUnilink project.

I was wandering about HDD's - I want to use a normal HDD as opposed to a laptop one (only cos I have a few large ones lying about..) and was wandering how they cope with being 'on the move' whilst spinning? I asssume you would need some sort of rubber mounting to try and help absorb shock, but from what i've seen, most seem to be mounted rigidly to the case. Are there issues with doing it this way?

Also, RE: the screens + Opus PSU - I can't seem to find any UK suppliers for these..does this mean I have to order from US & pay extorionate shipping + customs on top tof the price??

Originally posted by ajcarter
    Hi, please go easy on me (n00bie)

I am toying with the idea of making a carputer using mini itx case, opus PSU, pop-up lcd screen - what looks like a fairly standard setup on here. It will have gps, wlan, play mp3 & dvd/divx movies.
    It will be interfacing with a Sony HU via the cd changer - already working on the GNUnilink project.

I was wandering about HDD's - I want to use a normal HDD as opposed to a laptop one (only cos I have a few large ones lying about..) and was wandering how they cope with being 'on the move' whilst spinning? I asssume you would need some sort of rubber mounting to try and help absorb shock, but from what i've seen, most seem to be mounted rigidly to the case. Are there issues with doing it this way?

Also, RE: the screens + Opus PSU - I can't seem to find any UK suppliers for these..does this mean I have to order from US & pay extorionate shipping + customs on top tof the price??
    I have a normal hard drive mounted directly to my custom plexiglass case, and I also have two JL 12w4 subwoofers a foot below the hard drive, even at the loudest volume, the vibrations don't seem to affect the hard drive.
    My OLD Carputer: http://www.mp3car.com/node/18137
    Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

Comment

You can use normal drives. Out of my 3 setups I have done, only one of them uses laptop drive. Laptop drives are recommanded if you are going to go off roading etc since they are a little more shock proof.
      - Lwin M. Maung
      If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway

Comment

If you're going to do it, start out with a cheap hard drive and don't keep anything critical on it. A lot of people here seem to use desktop hard drives with no troubles. But why put an expensive piece of hardware full of irreplaceable data at risk? Find out if your system will kill a desktop hard drive with a cheap drive first, and if it doesn't then you can put in a more expensive hard drive.

Of course, as the amount of storage in a drive increases, the flying height of the heads gets lower. Making them easier to crash.

You'll probably be fine so long as you don't go out of your way to hit every pothole in the road.
        A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
        http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

Or get something like a WD SE that comes with a 3year warranty and keep RMAing it

Comment

I have had excelent results with a desktop drive. more than 3 years in service.

Not one problem!
            TruckinMP3
            D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

For the most part, desktop drives seem to hold up surprisingly well. I'm running a pair of 80gig drives in my rig. The first drive has been going strong for nearly 3 years. The second drive has been running for about 9 months. No bad sectors on either of them.

I took a metal plate, bolted the hard drives (on their side), to the plate, then used Sorbothane shock mounts to attach the plate to bottom of the case.

Some people use no shock mounting at all and still have no problems. Shock mounting is kind of a double-edged sword. If done right, it may improve the drive life. If done wrong it can make things worse. For example, springs normally don't work out too well because they have a tendancy to resonate.
              http://thecoldfront.com

Comment

My desktop hd has been going for months without one problem, bolted right in with no shocking. In fact i have yet to hear of anybodys drive failing
                due to carputing. Still i would keep back ups

Comment

I started out with an old desktop hd. Even after nearly a year, it had no problems. I now run a newer desktop drive and it has never given me problems. I've usually had mine mounted on it's side. I've hear that this helps but I've read many mounting their drives flat and without incident.

Comment

Ok, it sounds promising, and I couldnt really find anyone who has had probs with running a desktop hdd.
                    I only say that as I've managed to knock a few disks out before by placing them down a bit heavy handedly on desks, etc, or if they have taken a bit of a bump.
                    Well I will use some rubber washers to try and eliminate sharper knocks I guess.

Whilst I appreciate the answers, I need someone from England..as the road qualities differ a lot here, plenty of pot holes & country lanes..

Comment

Originally posted by ajcarter
                      Ok, it sounds promising, and I couldnt really find anyone who has had probs with running a desktop hdd.
                      I only say that as I've managed to knock a few disks out before by placing them down a bit heavy handedly on desks, etc, or if they have taken a bit of a bump.
                      Well I will use some rubber washers to try and eliminate sharper knocks I guess.

Whilst I appreciate the answers, I need someone from England..as the road qualities differ a lot here, plenty of pot holes & country lanes..

You do not really think you have a monopoly on bad roads do you?
                      I have droped my current set up a foot and a half onto the floor board of my truck... no skip no failure. Horizontal mount no damping material. (I do not recomend dropping them).

Denver roads have 2 conditions, Snow and Potholes... other areas in the states are simmilar. Many trips to the dirt roads and off road, plenty of bumps and holes, washboard roads and the like.

Have fun
                      TruckinMP3
                      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Well, I was using a laptop as a carputer in my Van for several years, then decided I needed more umph, so I changed the P1-133 to a Patriot PC with a Celeron 500Mhz, and upgraded the HD from the 4GB laptop drive to a 20GB standard HD.

It lasted about a week or more, one chilly night I had to drive from Manchester to Poole and the disk wouldn't spin up. So I quickly popped in my old 4GB disk and rebuilt Windows XP on it and off I went, upgraded to a 20GB laptop drive and all is well.

Maybe the environment the PC is in is a little harsher being van rather than a car, but I think they get just as cold when left standing on a drive way for several days.

Just my 2 cents worth. It seems no one else has troubles with standard HD's but I wouldn't trust one again.

Craig
                        Audi S8 supercar
                        Modded Xbox 400GB HD
                        Rear 7" screen & navplus

Toyota Hiace Van
                        Shuttle PIII 866 256Mb 10GB OPUS powered
                        MediaCar & Mappoint 2004
                        Custom fit 7" TFT VGA TSK

Comment

I have about 2 years on my laptop drive. A couple of times I have gone over a large bump at speed, and the mp3 playback paused for half a second.

Other than that no problems.
                          current projects

Comment

I've had mine going for about 6 mths now, so far all ok. It's monted in the boot just in front of the rear wheels, not quite vertically '/' sort of angle.

and that includes going over those 'lovely speed bumps' they have around town.

Comment

I've been just strapping my home PC tower to my spare tire (sitting on a piece of stiff foam and a board with strap going around tire and up and over the pc) and using a small 5" CRT tv, 600 watt inverter, connected to amp and speakers.. Been a couple weeks now and no problems, averaging 10 hours a day driving.. At night I bring my PC inside and use it there. Then every work morning I queue up a few hundred songs and hit shuffle and have music all day...

I'm planning (once funds permit) to make a smaller system to use in the van, it's a pain in the *** carrying in my 30 pound pc everyday!! After I make a smaller system I'm still planning on taking it inside every night, not sure I want to subject it to our cold upcoming winter...

TiTUS

Comment

Working...
                              X