Some noobie questions..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some noobie questions..

Alright, i've been lookin aroudn for a bit and haven't quite caught the answers to these..

1) By what method do you control the carputers shut down / hibernation and bootup process when you shut off teh car, etc.?

2) What are the reccomended / common parts for a carputer?

Reccomended LCD's?

other random questions/thoughts:

I understand the M10000 has onboard *everything* pretty much..

-Is the onboard audio good quality? or should something like a USB sound card be something to invest in ?

-Touch screen flat panels.. How does the data interface work with these? a second cable that goes to serial? or what.

-Operating systems... Do you guys run WXP? 2k? linux? With the Media Engine program..

-What general advantages come from media engine as opposed to something like Winamp?

-How are you interfacing the carputer with the car stereo?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Kruzen
    Alright, i've been lookin aroudn for a bit and haven't quite caught the answers to these..

1) By what method do you control the carputers shut down / hibernation and bootup process when you shut off teh car, etc.?

2) What are the reccomended / common parts for a carputer?

Reccomended LCD's?

other random questions/thoughts:

I understand the M10000 has onboard *everything* pretty much..

-Is the onboard audio good quality? or should something like a USB sound card be something to invest in ?

-Touch screen flat panels.. How does the data interface work with these? a second cable that goes to serial? or what.

-Operating systems... Do you guys run WXP? 2k? linux? With the Media Engine program..

-What general advantages come from media engine as opposed to something like Winamp?

-How are you interfacing the carputer with the car stereo?

Thanks.
    Epia audio is Ok at best...it's not horrile but not good, use a USB or PCI sound card if yo can.

Touchscreen monitors have a standard DB15 connector for video and a separate serial or USB connector for touchscreen

ME supports Win98 and up I believe, I use win2k...Linux not supported,

The main advantage to ME is the large icons and text allowing easy visibility on a small screen. ME manages multiple media types very well..mp3's divx etc.

I connect the output of my PCI audio card to an EQ (Clarion PEQ460) This gives me analog volume, fader, low,mid,high, and sub freq/gain control. The eq has three sets of RCA outputs (front, rear, subs). I highly recommend this method.
    My Celica Carputer Install

Comment

any other thoughts on the first two questions? concerning common parts and shutdown methodology?

Comment

shutdown is either controlled with a shutdown controller like the one at dashmatics.com (not on sale yet) or the one mastero has built or through the opus power supply.
        Check www.dashmatics.com, mastero.tk, or www.opussolutions.com

Epia's seem to be very common, and either a xenarc or digitalww screen seem to be fairly common. Everything pretty much runs the gambut, from athlon 1G to P4 2.4G. Its all on how you want to look and sound when you go today
        Carputer:
        MSI K7T turbo limited ed.
        AMD Duron 600
        TM - 701 ( Touchscreen and VGA kits will be added later)
        ATI Rage Fury
        looking at OPUS 150
        512 PC100
        40Gb HD
        SuSE 8.2 Professional

Comment

I shut it down with the keyboard or the remote.
          current projects

Comment

Originally posted by DodgeCummins
            I shut it down with the keyboard or the remote.

and start it up with???

im planning on keeping my carputer in my trunk, it would be a hastle to open the trunk and boot the computer everytime i want to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzen
              and start it up with???

im planning on keeping my carputer in my trunk, it would be a hastle to open the trunk and boot the computer everytime i want to use it.
              I installed a couple switches for Power and Reset. I basiclly wired them in parallel with the switches on the case. My computer is also mounted in the trunk I use a 1/8" audio connector to easily connect/disconnect the connection when I remove the computer for maintenance.
              My Celica Carputer Install

Comment

Working...
              X