battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery

i am planning on using the battery under the car to run the car only, and put a new battery in the trun to run everything else. how difficult is it to rewire everything from old battery to new if i am compleatly striping the car to put in my roll cage?

You mean to say that you will have a battery to crank and provide ignition and rest of the stuff, heater, lights , radio on the other ?

If so how ill you charge the other one and if so what is the benfit?

There is a kit to move your battery from the front to the back, which includes wires and may be a battery clamp.
    ALIBABA - I30 99
    Nemiah M10000, C134
    DVD, 40Gig, 256MB DDR
    GPS, OBD 2, Reverse Cam
    Mute on stereo w I300 car kit
    Liliput 7in w usb touch screen
    Direct connect with BOSE-CD changer

Comment

i am going to need 2 batterys for all the stuff i am getting for my car, and if i could put both in the trunk that would be perfrect. if i hooked both batteries in parralel is that how u are able to power more stuff? i am prety sure but i dont want to ***** it up. got any links to the kit site?

Comment

A battery Isolator is the answer. It is a couple of large diodes with a big heatsink.

You hook the juice to it and each battery. The batteries get charged, but one battery cannot drain the other one.

OR you can hook both positives together (like in a diesel truck)...or parallel like you said.

The point is you get more amp/hours, but the same 12v.
        current projects

Comment

you also need 2 of the same type of battery, and the from the same "vintage".
          mp4runner.com

Comment

you wll need to use a bigger alternator in terms of amps if you have gagets which hog power....
            ALIBABA - I30 99
            Nemiah M10000, C134
            DVD, 40Gig, 256MB DDR
            GPS, OBD 2, Reverse Cam
            Mute on stereo w I300 car kit
            Liliput 7in w usb touch screen
            Direct connect with BOSE-CD changer

Comment

would both do the trick? the battery Isolator and hooking up in parellel? what is the difference performance wise between the two? and i know about upgrading the alternator and have already forund the one i am going to get.

Comment

two diff things.... two different jobs.

Battery isolater(well the one at DSE)
                -prevents the 1st battery from sucking the 2nd while cranking.
                -prevents the 1st one from being flattened, when car not running,
                allowing only current from #2
                -charges both batteries when the car is running

(someone correct me if i wrong)
                92 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Epia MII12000 :D
                Morex 80W
                120G External HDD
                16x2 Charater Display
                Creative IR Remote
                VIA Sereniti 2000 Mini ITX Case
                7.2Ah SLA Tank
                PCMCIA 802.11b
                256DDR Ram

Diamonds are for girls- wise men follow the stars

Comment

I would run them in parellel but the thing is with that they have to be the same battery or have the same crankin amps or something. I really cant remember what has the be the same but to be on the safe side i would get the same bat.
                  Originally posted by menudude
                  thank you all for your help minus the useless post by sjlucky...

Comment

isolaters mean can be two diff types of batteries. like hav ur normal
                    starter battery, and a deep cycle battery.

cant reaaaaaaaaaally see y u would need two batteries....
                    92 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Epia MII12000 :D
                    Morex 80W
                    120G External HDD
                    16x2 Charater Display
                    Creative IR Remote
                    VIA Sereniti 2000 Mini ITX Case
                    7.2Ah SLA Tank
                    PCMCIA 802.11b
                    256DDR Ram

Diamonds are for girls- wise men follow the stars

Comment

just get a bigger alternator or www.the12volt.com
                      92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

guitar333, excellent link!

The battery question depends on what you want. If you want to run your stereo/computer with the engine off, until the battery dies, but still be able to start again afterward, then do the battery isolator.

If you want to run the stuff with the engine off for twice as long, and don't care if the car will start afterward, then wire them in series.

If you want to run your car the whole time, then you don't need an additional battery...as long as you shut off your computer before starting the car.

My truck has 150A alternator... 150x12=1800 watts of output...I am not using a hair dryer, nor am I trying to broadcast music to a stadium, so that is enough for me.

Since the poster wants to run the computer off a separate battery, then the battery isolater is the way to go.
                        current projects

Comment

Working...
                        X