Music only?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music only?

I want to drop a HD into my ride for MP3 only, any suggestions / ideas?

The cheapest thing to do would be to get an Ipod and plug it into an aux input on your stereo system. The added bonus is that you can take it with you when you get out of your car.

If you don't have aux inputs you can use an FM transmitter. Remember though, you get what you pay for with transmitters, if you buy a cheap one you wont get great sound. Even the best ones will not be as good as a wired connection. If crystal clear sound is very important to you you'll need a aux input.
    A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

use a p100-p133 with a dos player along with a character lcd and a numpad, that would be my recommendation, to start with.

I think SEARCH replies in the newbie forum is bad, if you cant add something to search for or some useful treads you might just as well not post
      -
      My cars
      -

Comment

a commercial hard drive would be best/easiest for what you want.

if you want the computer part a good motherboard would be an EPIA 500 or a regular pentium or PII.

A tm-701l is a good screen if you the computer direction

search for these and you shall be pointed in the right direction
        92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

mp3 only means mp3 only, not the works
          -
          My cars
          -

Comment

Exactly, So why even bother with an actual computer? Even with a cheap mobo/cpu the amount of money and time you spend on making it run in your car is excessive. With an Ipod, it's a couple cables and the Ipod itself. I think thats far more economical then an actual computer. It also avoids the need for a screen and other expensive bits that just scream steal me.

Comment

true, but then, you never learned anything
              -
              My cars
              -

Comment

This is true, but you might learn to pull your head unit out, and attach a couple RCA plugs.

Also, not all people want to learn. Some people just want lots of music without the hassle of CDs.

Comment

it all depends on his budget!
                  92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

Comment

GOOD POINT GUITAR!
                    the specs you listed is most likely qualify as the most expensive solution listed, wouldnt you agree?
                    -
                    My cars
                    -

Comment

Very true. What you're willing to spend and the amount of work you're willing to do determines what would be the best option. I tend to search out the simplest, cheapest way of getting things done because I'm a cheap, lazy bastard

Comment

Originally posted by jol
                        GOOD POINT GUITAR!
                        the specs you listed is most likely qualify as the most expensive solution listed, wouldnt you agree?
                        he should have clarified more if he actualy wanted a computer or not, i assumed he already knew about commercial hard drive mp3 player and wanted an mp3 only capable computer setup versus a higher end athlon xp1800 or epia 1ghz. So I think an EPIA 500 is the best for an mp3 only COMPUTER setup, but this still depends on his budget

Comment

why not getting something cheaper that will get the work done just as good?
                          -
                          My cars
                          -

Comment

to clarify

Yes I'm familiar with the commercial MP3 hard drive's such as the iPod, but I am more inclined to build something myself... I've just recently come across the whole carputer thing and was curious as to if a commercial computer hard drive could be used without the other "guts"
                            I'm using a JVC KD-SH909 so the ipod would work great, but not as much fun.
                            Aside from the ipod, has anybody had any experience with the Neo car jukebox?

Comment

Working...
                            X