Few concerns about Car PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few concerns about Car PC

Hi, I'm lookin 2 install a Computer in my car but have a few concerns which I havnt clarified reading other threads.

It will b a mini itx mobo and wil b runnin off the car battery with 2 amps a sub and comps, will the battery b able to power it?

What is the best way to power it and should I buy a case for it?

How do I make sure that I don't have any interference or buzzing?

What is the best way to sync startup with ignition and is it easy?

Can I run an xenarc (actually I intend 2 buy from dscustoms) from my car battery somehow?

Should I have protection fuses in ther somewhere?

Cheers

search for opus www.opussolutions.com, you can run your screen off this, the best psu around about $180
    92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

Originally posted by way2gud4u
      Hi, I'm lookin 2 install a Computer in my car but have a few concerns which I havnt clarified reading other threads.

It will b a mini itx mobo and wil b runnin off the car battery with 2 amps a sub and comps, will the battery b able to power it?
      The battery will power it no problem but for how long is the question. If you are wondering about when the car is running then you want to make sure that your alternator is in good condition.

What is the best way to power it and should I buy a case for it?
      The best way woulod be a dc-dc power supply that has a regulated 12volts. there are a few solutions to this on the forum here. opus being one of them.

A dc-ac inverter will also work but make sure that you get one that ismore than big enough to handle your wattage

How do I make sure that I don't have any interference or buzzing?
      That could depend on your power supply choice. You also want to make sure that everything is grounded properly.

What is the best way to sync startup with ignition and is it easy?
      I belive the opus has this function but not 100% sure. another would be to wire the power supply to the ingition and to set your bios for power on after power outage.

Can I run an xenarc (actually I intend 2 buy from dscustoms) from my car battery somehow?
      I belive that was arleady answered. I belive it can also be done with a regular power supply and an inverter but you would have to research that yourself.

Should I have protection fuses in ther somewhere?
      always!!
      Cheers[/QUOTE]

Comment

Cheers 4 the replies.

How do I ensure everything is grounded "properly"?

Wher shud I put protection fuses?

Can I run the xenarc off the Opus ATX power supply?

cheers

Comment

scrape off the paint tighten the screws/bolts for the ground
          by the battery. IASCA rules is with in 18" of the battery. personally I'd do it 6"-12" from the battery
          yes
          Consider yourself lucky that you didnt get the "do a search" treatment as most of your questions have been answered in the past.
          NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
          If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

They have been answered but they are never answered conclusively. They always vary on people's opinions, whether their pc needs 150w or 90w whether they use a case, or they already have an inverter lying around etc. Are you saying put the ground wire onthe negative part of the battery?

Comment

Originally posted by way2gud4u
              They have been answered but they are never answered conclusively. They always vary on people's opinions, whether their pc needs 150w or 90w whether they use a case, or they already have an inverter lying around etc. Are you saying put the ground wire onthe negative part of the battery?
              the whole frame of your car is "the negative part of the battery" look where hte negative terminal on your battery is connected, the car. this means that the frame of your car is the negative ground. So just ground it to any uppainted metal part of your car frame. (seat belt bolts are what i use)
              92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

Working...
              X