Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp/Speakers Recommendations?

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking for a while, picking up on advice and forming my own ideas for a system, and I've been piecing togeather a system forever it seems[0], should go in this December.

Right now I'm planning a HU-less setup, and I'd like some recommendations for an Amp and Speakers. I don't listen to my music very loud (though it has to fight a decent amount of road noise[1]), I seriously don't plan on/want subs (just 4 5.25" speakers in the stock locations), I'm on a tight, college kid budget (i.e. I don't mind used equipment), but I know what good audio is supposed to sound like... I just want an Amp/Speaker setup that sounds good and dosen't cost too much (preferably under $200).

I've searched the forums for advice, but most everyone's recomendations for amps are based on driving subs.

Thanks.

----------
    [0] Computer-wise I either have it, or know what/where/when to get it. Most of my experience is with computers and personal audio (read: Headphones).
    [1] I have a '99 Jeep Cherokee, modded for off-pavement activities, so it's pretty loud on the road
    '99 Jeep XJ - 4" Lift/35's - 15"/Shuttle

i heard alpine playing. me like it. me thinks its too expensive thou. speakers - pioneers will do it. 50w rms should be enough. so look for an amp that gives you 50W x 4 rms at 4 ohm. something like alpine will be very nice.

as for the dream setup - MB Quart speakers + PPI amps
    Current Status: For Sale

Specs
    - 1.5Ghz Toshiba Laptop (available - no screen)
    - Indash Motorized 7" VGA TS
    - DeLorme GPS (sold)
    - Power Inverter (sold)
    - Pioneer HU (sold)

Comment

I reccomend if you can get 4 6X9 speakers as your car seems loud as hell . they are cheap off ebay. 200$ usd for 4 6X9 and an amp is kinda hard though. 200$ usd should cover your speakers. another 150$ for the amp would be what you are looking for...

And as for me how does Morel Hybrid 6 front speakers with PPi Art series A404.2 sound? i love these speakers sooooo much. Might get some CDTs later on though.

Comment

Originally posted by sspikey
        I reccomend if you can get 4 6X9 speakers as your car seems loud as hell . they are cheap off ebay. 200$ usd for 4 6X9 and an amp is kinda hard though. 200$ usd should cover your speakers. another 150$ for the amp would be what you are looking for...

And as for me how does Morel Hybrid 6 front speakers with PPi Art series A404.2 sound? i love these speakers sooooo much. Might get some CDTs later on though.
        but why 6x9???
        6 1/2 i think are the best IMO
        Current Status: For Sale

Specs
        - 1.5Ghz Toshiba Laptop (available - no screen)
        - Indash Motorized 7" VGA TS
        - DeLorme GPS (sold)
        - Power Inverter (sold)
        - Pioneer HU (sold)

Comment

Im running JBL P-93 6x9in 250W thermalum speakers at the back and P-52 5 1/4in 150W at the front. The head unit is Sony XR-M500R with CDX-737 CD changer. 3 years old setup.

It seems loud enough for me. Not even sure if its a crapy setup or not. I dont know why it sounds saturated even before the volume is set to max. The HU is 4 x 50W RMS. I never bother to find out since I dont listen at full blast either...maybe someone here knows why it saturate when the speaker should be able to take more power?

Comment

Originally posted by carabuser
            but why 6x9???
            6 1/2 i think are the best IMO

Bass
            6.5 especially aftermarket ones rarely provide much bass from experience. If money is not an Option. Run 6X9 in the back and components in the front.

Comment

I would recomend getting the pioneer 5.25's. However, I would still consider getting a small sub (like 8 or 10). I have this setup and it's great. The sub takes a lot of the work off the speakers. That way at high volumes they don't distort. I understand what ur saying about not wanting the sub. I never did either. I listen to very little rap or techno so I really considered it unnecessary. However, now that I have one I would never go without it. Good luck with ur setup.

Comment

The sub takes a lot of the work off the speakers. That way at high volumes they don't distort.

So a sub is a must to get rid of the distortion? I too didnt want a sub...look like I need one too.

Comment

I recommend Kenwood speakers. I don't know anything about amps, though. I'm sure if I used one, it would push my speakers to their maximum output. Here's my setup though:

Kenwood KDC-319 HU 50x4
                  (2) 140w Kenwood 6.5" 2-way
                  (2) 160w Kenwood 6.5" 2-way

I got all the above for $200... brand new.. on eBay.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys....

I'm pretty much stuck w/ 5.25's though (definately for the rear, and it would be a real PITA to stuff anything larger in the front). There really isn't any way I could run a sub either... It's unafordable (to me anyways) and it takes up too much room (I already have almost no cargo space).

The sub takes a lot of the work off the speakers. That way at high volumes they don't distort.
                    I could easily see this w/ 5.25's, but I don't listen to music very loudly and price is a very large factor in my decision. Cost/Performace for a sub just isn't good enough for me to want one. I just want the best sound at a reasonable volume I can get for a low price (<= $200).

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky327
                      It seems loud enough for me. Not even sure if its a crapy setup or not. I dont know why it sounds saturated even before the volume is set to max. The HU is 4 x 50W RMS. I never bother to find out since I dont listen at full blast either...maybe someone here knows why it saturate when the speaker should be able to take more power?
                      Because it's not the speakers that are distorting, it's your H/U. Although they have labels like "50Wx4 MOSFET POWER!" They really are only outputting ~15W RMS. Add an external amp that is rated 50x4 RMS and you will hear an enormous difference.

Now, on to the sub issue. What a sub does is reproduce the lower frequencies so that you can use a high-pass filter on the main speakers. 5.25" will not be able to play down to 40Hz, so instead of converting that power to sound it's converted to more heat in the voice coil. It will also distort because the speaker is unable to reproduce those frequencies.
                      Solution: Use an amp with high-pass crossovers and use them well. First, correctly set the gain, then turn the volume up and adjust the crossover frequency lower and lower until you like the sound (it's not distorting, but you get midbass response and some bass response) You can easily add a sub later down the road when you get more money/decide you want one.

Oh yeah, and instead of putting 6x9" speakers in the rear (and pulling the soundstage back) just for bass, you should have gone with just front speakers and a small sub. The sub will go lower and won't pull the soundstage to the back of the car.

Comment

Thanks for the info PFDarkside. I just never had real car audio experience.

Comment

amps: jl audio, ppi, phoenix gold, zapco, arc audio, kicker, hifonics, xtant, jbl, alpine are all good mid to upper price range amps

speakers: mb quart, focal, jl audio, kicker, image dynamics, diamond, rainbow, dynaudio, eclipse, and several other companies have good to really good speakers

www.sounddomain.com and do a SEARCH
                          2005 Mustang GT:
                          12w7...arc audio kar1000.2t...jl 300/4 pushng focal 165k2p...pioneer premier deh-880prs...tm-701l...audiocontrol eqs
                          want: my stereo actually IN the car

Comment

Originally posted by stkdidy ntshidy
                            www.sounddomain.com and do a SEARCH
                            Thanks... I'm new to car audio and this is the only place I knew to ask...

Thank god for message boards

Comment

Working...
                            X