Carputer to car speakers - how to??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer to car speakers - how to??

I am very interested in building a carputer just for MP3 use. I have a lot of spare PC parts laying around so I think I just need to buy an LCD.

One of my first questions is this... If I want to run my carputer just through factory speakers and radio, is it possible to do so? Would I just get a connection that goes from my sound card out to RCA's in? Would that work?

Also, can anyone suggest a LCD for under $100? Like I said.. This is just for mp3 use so I don't need it to be supperb.. I would just need to be able to see winamp or whatever I use for the interface.

Thanks!!
    Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

Audio goes to either Aux inputs of a head unit or directly to your amp (if you have one).

You can get a small screen but it won't read text very well unless its VGA which costs $300-400.

Search the forums and you will find everything you need.

On a sidenote, maybe we should add this info to the newbie FAQ sticky since these kind of questions get asked almost daily.

'93 Explorer Sport
    EPIA M10000, 256 MB RAM, 120 GB HD, OPUS 150W PS, 7"TS, slot load DVD, GPS

Comment

I used a 12V FM modulator, and it works very well.
      www.bradleyjacobs.com

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -- Frank Zappa

Comment

What kind of car do you have? Some cars have AUX input adaptors for the stock Head units.

I can't and won't suggest a screen for under $100. Even if it's just to view winamp. Spend the extra $80 and get a decent 7" TFT screen.

Also, if you care about audio quality, you may not, do NOT get an FM modulator. The quality is terrible.
        Aura MR62 (F and R)
        My Current MP3s
        IamDefiler.com

Comment

Originally posted by Defiler
          Also, if you care about audio quality, you may not, do NOT get an FM modulator. The quality is terrible.
          I have to disagree. I'm extremely picky about sound quality, and the quality from my modulator is very good. Of course, I spent $60 on it. I didn't by a cheap little modulator like some that I have seen. The sound quality of my VBR MP3's is very close to that of the CD in the head unit when I've done a head-to-head comparison by having the CD running and then just switch to FM where the MP3 of that same song is running through the modulator.
          www.bradleyjacobs.com

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -- Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by blurp
            I have to disagree. I'm extremely picky about sound quality, and the quality from my modulator is very good. Of course, I spent $70 on it. I didn't by a cheap little modulator like some that I have seen. The sound quality of my VBR MP3's is very close to that of the CD in the head unit when I've done a head-to-head comparison by having the CD running and then just switch to FM where the MP3 of that same song is running through the modulator.
            Unless Blitzsafe.com comes through for me, I may be in the modulator camp. What model do you have and where did you get it?

TIA
            Scott

MCS-PC
            Epia M-10000
            XP Pro; 512MB; 60GB (2.5")
            Panasonic Slot SlimDVD/CD-RW
            7" Lilliput (Touchscreen)
            Casetronic C137 w/ 90W PSU (Temp)
            19V Laptop Adapter (Temp)

Comment

i have an Anaba. I don't know what the model is, but it runs of either 12V or 2 AAA batteries. It is fixed-frequency and has 2 channels, 88.7 or 89.1. I bought it at my local stereo shop, Audiomasters.
              www.bradleyjacobs.com

Comment

I have a 2003 Ford Ranger FX4 w/ a factory MP3/CD player.

So your sayin for what I want to do no LCD under $100 will work?

Thanks!!

Comment

It's not so much that it won't work, but that the picture quality is so bad on the cheap monitors that I have seen, that you can't even read decent sized text. Especially on the playlist on Winamp, if you are indeed going to use Winamp.
                  www.bradleyjacobs.com

Comment

Originally posted by blurp
                    It's not so much that it won't work, but that the picture quality is so bad on the cheap monitors that I have seen, that you can't even read decent sized text. Especially on the playlist on Winamp, if you are indeed going to use Winamp.
                    Thank you for clarifying that. Yes this is what I ment.

Also, on the FM Modulator comment...I would disagree again. FM cannot transmit the freq. range a CD or good quality MP3 would have. Sorry it just won't sound as good on a good system.
                    Aura MR62 (F and R)
                    My Current MP3s
                    IamDefiler.com

Comment

I agree with this. My friend uses one on his laptop and iPod, and there is NO bass. We burn the music to CD and try that, and the bass is back. FM modulators suck.
                      I can't and won't suggest a screen for under $100. Even if it's just to view winamp. Spend the extra $80 and get a decent 7" TFT screen.
                      Agreed, again. Get a better monitor, do it once and do it right!
                      1993 BMW 325is - 15.2sec

Comment

...Also, if you care about audio quality, you may not, do NOT get an FM modulator. The quality is terrible.
                        Understood, but I don't have an Aux-In, there is no third party adapter for my HU, and it's not practical, for a number of reasons, to replace my HU, so I'm stuck with a FM Modulator.

Any other FM Modulator recommendations?

Thanks
                        Scott

MCS-PC
                        Epia M-10000
                        XP Pro; 512MB; 60GB (2.5")
                        Panasonic Slot SlimDVD/CD-RW
                        7" Lilliput (Touchscreen)
                        Casetronic C137 w/ 90W PSU (Temp)
                        19V Laptop Adapter (Temp)

Comment

Originally posted by ose-ml320
                          Understood, but I don't have an Aux-In, there is no third party adapter for my HU, and it's not practical, for a number of reasons, to replace my HU, so I'm stuck with a FM Modulator.

Any other FM Modulator recommendations?

Thanks
                          An FM modulator is most likely different from what the ipod user was using. The ipod thing was an FM transmitter. FM modulators actually hook into the back of your HU. They sound a lot better than FM transmitters. But as previously noted, FM radio cannot capture the true quality of a cd, but some argue that an mp3 can't either.

Tom
                          1993 Probe GT
                          Rio Car w/20gb

Comment

Originally posted by tbird2340

Also, can anyone suggest a LCD for under $100? Like I said.. This is just for mp3 use so I don't need it to be supperb.. I would just need to be able to see winamp or whatever I use for the interface.

Thanks!!
                            I also just wanted my computer to play Mp3's. Concerning your question about the LCD: Instead of going for a Color display, why dont you try the 20x4 LCD screens, you can see and purchace them at www.crystalfontz.com, Click on the Character LCD (HD44780), theyre going for $20 - $40, depending on what you want. You can then download and run this software(http://www.markuszehnder.ch/projects...ugin/index.php) as a plugin in winamp, place winamp in your startup, use a ps/2 keypad, and youre as ready as bob, check out the photos on that page, it will give you an idea of how the plugin works etc...
                            *Mercedes Benz 230E*
                            *Plll 450*
                            *128MB RAM*
                            *40GB Hdd*
                            *Character display LCD*
                            *Keypad Control*

Comment

Ok.. My factory deck doesn't have aux inputs. Can someone recommend a relatively cheap / nice performing deck that has aux inputs?

Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                              X