Powering amp indoors?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powering amp indoors?

Would it be possible to power my amp and subs with a car battery charger so i can use them in my room while my truck is in the shop? I'm having bass withdrawal

Unless you have one hell of a battery charger then no
    [H]4 Life
    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
    I'm a lesbian too.
    I am for hire!

Comment

ok, i thought i heard about somebody doing this somewhere, but i must have just misunderstood

Comment

You can use an AC to DC regulated power supply instead. I don't have one (yet) but i use my engine starter (the one with a built in battery inside) since it can output 12v DC while the power adapter is connected to the main socket to make the current continues and the battery doesn't died out.
        [....99.9%]
        [HW] 566eMHz/128mb/6gb, FlyVideo3k, RandMgps, M1-ATX, 7" Lilliput, VGA2AVadptrFor2ndVideo, 4CH/100rms, 10"Sub, 40AhDeepCycleTank
        [....99.8%]
        [SW] XP/MMC/FP:D3,FlyTV/AxifeFM,CarMM?
        [Working on] puttingBackEvrythg.

Comment

Still, an amp pulls a lot of juice.
          Like in the 20A range.

I have not seen an affordable AC/DC power supply in that range.
          current projects

Comment

One of those starter things might well do it but I'm not sure how smooth the output would be. You may well end up with loads of hum.

Easiest way would be to power it from a spare car battery and leave the charger on it when u're not using it to try and keep it in a reasonable state of charge.

Chris

Originally posted by DodgeCummins
            Still, an amp pulls a lot of juice.
            Like in the 20A range.

I have not seen an affordable AC/DC power supply in that range.

Comment

My friend used to have subs inthe house all the time for parties. Hooked up to a car battery and a charger. The charger was a big one on wheels though. We had it on 40a charge to keep the battery up.

Comment

There, I assume the battery acts as a huge filter to smooth out the juice...
                current projects

Comment

Originally posted by DodgeCummins
                  There, I assume the battery acts as a huge filter to smooth out the juice...
                  More importantly, the battery supplies power when the power supply is maxed out (like on a big bass hit). Since the current draw of the amp (when it's playing music as opposed to test tones) is only intermittent the charger is enough to keep the battery from fully draining.

Comment

I'm guessing ChrisW thought you guys were talking about the battery chargers with the 100~200 amp START feature. And no you defiantly wouldn't want to use that.
                    I would buy (I already have a few spares) a cheap automotive battery, hook up a battery charger to it and run the amp off of that.
                    2002 Golf TDI With Phatbox . Blue 87 Supra Needs to go, Grey 89 Targa with stock Radio.

Comment

Do some digging - its possible to mod an AT power supply to supply 13.5v at 20amps. use in conjunction with one or several batts and there you go. Very cheap way to do it

Comment

yeah figure on how many watts youll be pulling, eg 200w rms amp 200/applied voltage (12v?) 200/12 = 16.67A, so Im sure youll need a fairly large psu if u decide to go this route
                        92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

I said a modded AT psu - all the power gets dumped into the new 13.5v line.

Comment

that wasnt even regarding your post, i know what you said
                            92 Taurus SHO - Daily driver - Epia M10000 80GB 512mb 7" touchscreen, Opus PSU etc

93 Black SHO - 30mpg cruiser

90 Silver SHO - 419whp fun/project car, CarPC to come (for tuning)

Comment

sigh - look at me, cant even make sence of simple posts anymore!

I guess thats what Uni exams do to me...

Comment

Working...
                              X