uh oh

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uh oh

i was tryin to take the screws out of a laptop hdd tray to remove the hdd, but the oem drive was screwed in really tight, and now i've just about stripped 2 of the screws.... what do u guys suggest to get em out?

EDIT- nevermind.... needlenose pliers to the rescue!!!!

Originally posted by NEO_0690
    i was tryin to take the screws out of a laptop hdd tray to remove the hdd, but the oem drive was screwed in really tight, and now i've just about stripped 2 of the screws.... what do u guys suggest to get em out?
    if screws are not recessed get visegrips and grab the screwhead
    if recessed use a dremel with a thin cutoff blade and cut a slot
    in the screw head

protect the important connector end when you fight with this thing

Comment

Ill normally use a wire cutter for this. The one that cut very close to the egde so it wont slip around the head :

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...199&Products=1

Since the head screw is very soft, just grip the head tightly until the cutter blade digs in enough on both side of the screw head...then just turn it

This worked for me all the time on soft headed screw.

A normal pliers dont dig in on the side of the head so it hardly works.

Comment

Another option is :

Ill assume its a crossheaded type...if you havent completely rounded it then best to find one of those small flat blade screwdriver that fits perfectly on the crossheaded slots.

Dont ever use the "philips" (crosshead) screw driver anymore on a rounded head you only gonna make things worst.

Your last resort is to drill it out.

Good luck

Comment

Now the reason i'm taking this drive out is that it is dying and doesn't always spin up when the computer is turned on, every once in a while i can get it to but i'm not having any luck with it tonight and i need it to spin up one last time so i can copy the data from it onto my desktop.... any ideas guys? i've heard of the freezer trick for reviving dead drives just long enough to retrieve data... but does it really work and are there any other alternatives?

Comment

Good to hear you go it out

Most likely your head got stuck...up to you if you wanna bash your HDD on a table to get it unstuck...hard enough.

I done that many times on a users HDD and worked. I havent heard the freezer before try that first before bashing your HDD though.

Good luck on that too.

Comment

how do i go about bashing it on a table? i don't wanna break the thing...

Comment

I personally wouldn't bash anything related to the HD.
                current projects

Comment

Just drop the hdd about half a foot... make sure no pins or electronics parts would get damaged.

I personally wouldn't bash anything related to the HD.

He doesnt have much choice, its either get the HDD working and copy the data or just bin it. I wont bash it if the data is so important and I plan to take it to data recovery service. Giving it a try one more time before saying bye bye to your work wont hurt.

Comment

Working...
                  X