Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is it worth it?

    I really want to put in a car pc because thats a great wow factor and it would be cool to chill and watch movies/play ps2 before school. But other wise what would I use it for (GPS I could do) but I just spent $300 on a Ipod. What do you all think?
    2003 Audi A4 1.8t (Totaled, Project Canceled)

  • #2
    Originally posted by Spaceboy464
    I really want to put in a car pc because thats a great wow factor and it would be cool to chill and watch movies/play ps2 before school. But other wise what would I use it for (GPS I could do) but I just spent $300 on a Ipod. What do you all think?
    Hi Spaceboy,

    Most people on this forum use our carputers everyday to make our lives easier (GPS, moblie e-mail, internet access ect) and also have the bonus of MP3, DVD ect but we are enthusiasts and like to have things now that most people can only dream about one day.

    Some people only want it for the 'wow factor' and can't be bothered to wait for parts and advice on how to set it up.

    Basically if your heart is not in it don't go there!! it will end up costing you!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by blicky_1
      Hi Spaceboy,

      Most people on this forum use our carputers everyday to make our lives easier (GPS, moblie e-mail, internet access ect) and also have the bonus of MP3, DVD ect but we are enthusiasts and like to have things now that most people can only dream about one day.

      Some people only want it for the 'wow factor' and can't be bothered to wait for parts and advice on how to set it up.

      Basically if your heart is not in it don't go there!! it will end up costing you!!
      I guess I shouldn't have said wow factor. I mean I would probably use it, and I would do it to do it because I love doing this stuff. You know, designing, building, etc. I also hate having to pick up my Ipod and look down at it and things like that. This is somthing I want to do, because it is what I like.
      2003 Audi A4 1.8t (Totaled, Project Canceled)

      Comment


      • #4
        Yea, I want to put a computer in my Pathfinder. I'm getting a P4 1.7 ghz from my friend on the weekend and will use that. I just basically need a screen, and I don't want to spend alot of $ on it, becuase I quit my job and don't plan on getting another one till spring. :-) Any cost effective screen ideas? hehe.
        2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE - My cardomain page.

        Comment


        • #5
          --->enthusiast<---


          ...that's me.
          [....99.9%]
          [HW] 566eMHz/128mb/6gb, FlyVideo3k, RandMgps, M1-ATX, 7" Lilliput, VGA2AVadptrFor2ndVideo, 4CH/100rms, 10"Sub, 40AhDeepCycleTank
          [....99.8%]
          [SW] XP/MMC/FP:D3,FlyTV/AxifeFM,CarMM?
          [Working on] puttingBackEvrythg.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by hussein
            Yea, I want to put a computer in my Pathfinder. I'm getting a P4 1.7 ghz from my friend on the weekend and will use that. I just basically need a screen, and I don't want to spend alot of $ on it, becuase I quit my job and don't plan on getting another one till spring. :-) Any cost effective screen ideas? hehe.
            Ebay!
            2003 Audi A4 1.8t (Totaled, Project Canceled)

            Comment


            • #7
              16 years old and already has 2003 car, a Audi A4 1.8t: thats a "wow factor" right there ;d
              carputer: do it ... there are some ppl with Audis who have done carproject so its not going to be difficult for you to make neat dashboard
              Danny.

              "If today was perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow."
              My Car Project® ‹== !10.4" Allbrite, touchscreen, epia, 150opus, gps, wireless, sony remote [old] 128x64 Crystalfontz +double din [new]

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sh0cker
                16 years old and already has 2003 car, a Audi A4 1.8t: thats a "wow factor" right there ;d
                carputer: do it ... there are some ppl with Audis who have done carproject so its not going to be difficult for you to make neat dashboard
                Eww, I hate that because now I sound snobby. I just meant like I think its cool because no one at school has it. I know I have a nice car (and I am lucky) but you should see other peoples cars. That is not why I am doing this though, I just enjoy building things and I think it would be fun.

                <EDIT>
                BTW, your 'Dub install is really nice
                </EDIT>
                2003 Audi A4 1.8t (Totaled, Project Canceled)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Go for it man...just expect to spend about 1000 and headaches. You will run into problems for sure, I guess thats the fun bit.

                  Ill say the GPS and MP3 is the most useful thing youll get in the car pc. The rest are just bonuses...thats what I think anyway

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If you're the sort of person who enjoys building things and solving problems, and you have the time, energy and money to kill on this sort of thing. It will keep you busy for months.

                    If you want something you can throw into your car in an afternoon to make your ride "bling bling". Go invest in some of those god awful windsheild wiper sprayers with the bright blue LED's in them.

                    Car computers are for people who believe that the fun is in the building and troubleshooting.
                    A digital mind lost in an analog world.

                    Learn to ask smart questions!
                    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

                    My car PC: The Lost Cause!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by fluffy2097
                      If you're the sort of person who enjoys building things and solving problems, and you have the time, energy and money to kill on this sort of thing. It will keep you busy for months.

                      If you want something you can throw into your car in an afternoon to make your ride "bling bling". Go invest in some of those god awful windsheild wiper sprayers with the bright blue LED's in them.

                      Car computers are for people who believe that the fun is in the building and troubleshooting.
                      Well then it looks like I am doing this then :-). Waiting for the holidays.
                      2003 Audi A4 1.8t (Totaled, Project Canceled)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        whats some good things to tell parents why its a good thing to have? they think that i have everything i need in my ride already. :-/
                        2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE - My cardomain page.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by hussein
                          whats some good things to tell parents why its a good thing to have? they think that i have everything i need in my ride already. :-/
                          He He, I didn't tell mine!
                          Laidback


                          The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            tell them you need to be distracted...that the road isn't enough to look at by itself, you want a full computer so you can do email and school papers on the freeway and during rushhour :-p

                            Your car computer is not going to benefit your parents at all. Having a computer in your car is by no stretch of the imagination a necessity or even very practical...it's just fun! Seriously, the only thing parents might buy is GPS nav to get you home OK...or maybe MP3's to cut down on retail purchases, if you've got a major CD habit to kick.
                            MP3 MR2 (click here for details)
                            Hardware: EPIA M10000, 512Meg Ram, 5.6"TFT, Opus 150watt DC-DC PSU
                            Software: Windows 2000, Media Engine 2.0

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by telekineticfool
                              tell them you need to be distracted...that the road isn't enough to look at by itself, you want a full computer so you can do email and school papers on the freeway and during rushhour :-p

                              Your car computer is not going to benefit your parents at all. Having a computer in your car is by no stretch of the imagination a necessity or even very practical...it's just fun! Seriously, the only thing parents might buy is GPS nav to get you home OK...or maybe MP3's to cut down on retail purchases, if you've got a major CD habit to kick.
                              Since he's at school, he might also wanna invest in one of those mini portable printers! Install that in the glove compartment and THEN it would be 'wow'.......
                              In da club....

                              ALIZEE WANTS YOU.....

                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(")
                              Bunny's first poo
                              __ U

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X