Newbie questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie questions

I have been doing some looking around the website here to get an idea as to what this is all about. however I have some questions that aren't easily searchable...
    1) Why are some many folks using the Amia (?) motherboard? Why not use more of a traditional P4 equipped board (I apologize...I haven't built a 'puter yet)?

2) How are all of you (or maybe just some of you) incorporating an existing (nice and decent) sound system into your project?

3) Are most systems doing away with a CD head unit? If not how are you integrating these into the CPU?

4) Besides a video card and audio card what other cools things can be used with an integrated computer in the car? I would imagine this has an impact on which mother board I choose for PCI slots correct?

I would really appreciate some feedback...thanks.

1. Epia i think is what you are thinking of. They are small, and they use less ( a lot less) power than a normal desktop board.

2. External soundcards such as the USB Audigy, or the Extigy, or others. Or if you have space, a PCI soundcard. These all sound much better than the onboard sound on the Epias.

3. People either run a 1/8 inch to RCA adaptor into the AUX in on their headunit and use the auxillary source, or they run the cable to their amps, thus eliminating a need for a headunit.

4. Many cool features can be USB, not just PCI cards. GPS, PowerMates (griffin, the knobs), touchscreens, etc. The onboard video isn't great on the Epias, but it works well with DivX and DVD's. you can get TV Tuner cards, which are PCI, so the options are pretty much limited only by the designer.
    My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
    2 Kicker Comp 10"
    Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
    Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
    Check it out?!

Comment

Originally posted by Mray
      I have been doing some looking around the website here to get an idea as to what this is all about. however I have some questions that aren't easily searchable...
      1) Why are some many folks using the Amia (?) motherboard? Why not use more of a traditional P4 equipped board (I apologize...I haven't built a 'puter yet)?
      I'm using an Epia M1000 because it is small and consumes very little power, and therefore generates very little heat. I would not have room for a conventional P4 motherboard for my install, and I also do not need it. Ask yourself...what, that you would do in the car, do you need multi-gigahertz processor for? A M1000 will handle DVD's, MP3's, DIVX, GPS...what else are you going to run?
      2) How are all of you (or maybe just some of you) incorporating an existing (nice and decent) sound system into your project?
      3) Are most systems doing away with a CD head unit? If not how are you integrating these into the CPU?
      I'm using the onboard sound for the moment...I will probably upgrade to an external soundcard eventually, once I have spending money again. I am using a head unit to interface from my computer to my speakers. This will probably switch to an amplifier eventually.

4) Besides a video card and audio card what other cools things can be used with an integrated computer in the car? I would imagine this has an impact on which mother board I choose for PCI slots correct?
      Most people add GPS and controllers, but, like Pudge said, almost everything you add will be USB so as long as your mboard has at least that, you're set. Only thing I can think of for PCI cards would be a Bluetooth or similar card, which you can probably find USB, or a better sound card.
      MP3 MR2 (click here for details)
      Hardware: EPIA M10000, 512Meg Ram, 5.6"TFT, Opus 150watt DC-DC PSU
      Software: Windows 2000, Media Engine 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by telekineticfool
        I'm using an Epia M1000 because it is small and consumes very little power, and therefore generates very little heat. I would not have room for a conventional P4 motherboard for my install, and I also do not need it. Ask yourself...what, that you would do in the car, do you need multi-gigahertz processor for? A M1000 will handle DVD's, MP3's, DIVX, GPS...what else are you going to run?
        Microsoft Office and other full blown fat client apps. Plus I believe I have the room. Not to mention I will be running one or more wireless wan's such as GPRS or 1XRTT.

I'm using the onboard sound for the moment...I will probably upgrade to an external soundcard eventually, once I have spending money again. I am using a head unit to interface from my computer to my speakers. This will probably switch to an amplifier eventually.
        I am still not sure I understand this. I have a clarion head unit going to an in dash DSP then to an active crossover then into two amps. How would you incoporate this?

Most people add GPS and controllers, but, like Pudge said, almost everything you add will be USB so as long as your mboard has at least that, you're set. Only thing I can think of for PCI cards would be a Bluetooth or similar card, which you can probably find USB, or a better sound card.
        I was thinking bluetooth, 802.11, maybe a good/better graphics card...

Comment

• You hardly need a Pentium 2 to run Office XP...an Epia will handle it just fine.
          • Does your clarion have an aux input jack? If not, then, if I understand your setup, you're gonna have to ditch it and run straight from your soundcard into your in-dash DSP.
          • You most likely won't need a better graphics card than the onboard Epia unless you are going to be gaming. I'd be more worried about sound...although bluetooth would be a good option to have.
          MP3 MR2 (click here for details)
          Hardware: EPIA M10000, 512Meg Ram, 5.6"TFT, Opus 150watt DC-DC PSU
          Software: Windows 2000, Media Engine 2.0

Comment

Working...
          X