Will this work? (Laptop, Linux, etc)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this work? (Laptop, Linux, etc)

I have never done this before and I want to know if what I am wanting to do is possible at all.

I am planning on using a Laptop that I already have running linux to use as a carputer.

Instead of using some app for lauching all of the other apps (tv, fm, mp3, dvd, cd, gps, etc) I would just add launcher icons to the Gnome desktop and just use linux like normal using the touch screen. I would use a 4 channel amp hooked up to the output from the soundcard on the computer for powering the speakers.

I am also wanting a touchscreen mounted in the double din spot on the dash, which I don't think will be a problem.

The only things I am worried about are finding a tv/fm/aux-in external device and linux gps software that will talk to me (tell me where to turn and all).

well theres the DLink R-100 or something like that..its a USB FM radio reciever.

I dunno if it has linux support though.

Comment

It looks like that has been discontinued. What about the Hauppauge wintv-fm usb?

Comment

Eh. Its up to you really .

I've never used either. If the hauppage has linux support, go for it.

You can get the Dlinks on ebay though. I'm sure you could get the hauppage too.

Comment

Working...
        X