Heres what I got..can I use it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heres what I got..can I use it?

I have a PIII 800mhz pc that im not using. I want to take it apart and put it in my 4runner. Its a small form factor mobo that has no agp slot. It has onboard sound and video. ANd I believe it has a 250w power supply. I want to hook up a dvd drive to it and buy an in dash lcd. Plus I plan to hook up a usb gps unit.

So what do i need to do this? What power inverter will I need? Should I get a pci sound card and a pci vid card with tv out? or just make sure to get a vga lcd?

My head unit has auxiliary in. I have an open DIN in the dash for the lcd so thats a good fit. Im just concerned on how to power the pc.

Thanks.
    '01 4runner ░ P3 866 ░ 128mb ░ 20gb HD ░ Radeon 9200SE PCI ░ SB PCI ░ Slim DVD/CD-RW ░ USB GPS ░ 7" Lilli vga TS ░ XP Pro ░ MC ░ Routis '04
    ForemostWebHosting
    SpeedGuyParts.com

The P3 should be fine Many people are running just fine with lower specs than that

As for power...I would do it the right way straight off and get yourself an Opus, no messing around with inverters and going DC-AC-DC

If you're using GPS, go for a VGA lcd, you won't regret it (even for video playback also ) Try the onboard sound, if it's good enough quality for you, then leave it as it is, otherwise consider getting yourself something like an Audigy soundcard

Welcome to the forums The button is your friend Most questions have probably been asked and answered already

Garry
    Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
    www.aimee.cc

Comment

I should have guessed another ATOT'er would reply. lol

thanks for the welcome and the info.

so the opus will take care of my power issues. vga lcd will be optimal picture for gps. and trial and error for sound. got it!

thanks again
      new2AMD(on AT)
      sabre on every other forum
      '01 4runner ░ P3 866 ░ 128mb ░ 20gb HD ░ Radeon 9200SE PCI ░ SB PCI ░ Slim DVD/CD-RW ░ USB GPS ░ 7" Lilli vga TS ░ XP Pro ░ MC ░ Routis '04
      ForemostWebHosting
      SpeedGuyParts.com

Comment

Ahhh... Howdya find this site? Was it through me?? Damn good resources here! If you'd signed up here as new2AMD i'd have recognised you instantly

If ya need any more help just ask/pm here or pm me on AT (i'm on both pretty much all day anyway )

Garry
        Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
        www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Confused
          Ahhh... Howdya find this site? Was it through me?? Damn good resources here! If you'd signed up here as new2AMD i'd have recognised you instantly

If ya need any more help just ask/pm here or pm me on AT (i'm on both pretty much all day anyway )

Garry
          I have read posts you made about this site. I also belong to yotatech. A site for mainly 4runner and tacoma owners. Someone there also mentioned this place. I have been interested in doing this since I got my truck 2 years ago. I am now getting more serious about it.

Thanks..i will probably take you up on that offer as I get closer to doing the work.
          ForemostWebHosting
          SpeedGuyParts.com

Comment

Working...
          X